Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I hear that side cameras are a 50/50 thing.. I personally see no need.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I have enough things to look at and keep me busy while I'm driving. If I had a side camera, I would still use my mirrors for lane changes.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I purchased the same system after seeing what great results you had. Mine didn't work... When I hooked up the fuse/filter box it started smoking. They said they would send another box but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think if I had to do it over I would buy one from a USA company so it could be returned if it didn't work.
UPDATE: Well, you never know what can happen. The seller sent me a replacement fuse/filter box and the unit works well. The hardest part was running the 50' cable from the top rear of the coach to the dash. Mounting the camera was also a lot of work because I had to make a special bracket to hold it and try to get it in the right position. Love the wide angle and color.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonedsole View Post
Does anyone wish they would have also gotten side view cameras when doing it?
I had one port left on the monitor, so I installed a passenger side "side view" camera. I've only made one trip since installing it, but so far it is less valuable than the two rear view camera's on the system. It works fine, but I'm still using the mirrors as the primary lane change device.

Fred
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #33

Only 4 answers of 30 replies that evan attempted to ANSWER the OP's posted QUESTION.
Shame on us!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #34

here is my set up very simple for a do it yourself'r.

Amazon.com: PYLE PLCM25 2.5-Inch TFT LCD Monitor/Night Vision Rear View Camera: Electronics

bought this cheap camera, it only had a 2.5" monitor installed it but done a little mod to it. My daughter has a dual DVD Sony player in my wife's car so i took the dual screen that was not used that had VGA input plugs and plugged it in lieu of the little screen. Now i have a 7" color display on the dash for $54.00,now thats not bad many people has spent several hundreds doing this job. That particular camera has night vision and is great for night time backing in dark camping spots
rbmurray210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #35

I just installed a Rear View Safety system on my RV last weekend. It looks and works great. I am pleased with this purchase.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am working on putting the single camera with a 7" monitor from rear view safety. Got the camera and monitor installed. This weekend I will be running the cable. I like it but think the instrustions need to be a little better on how to wire up the little lites that it has on the camera.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkg View Post
I am working on putting the single camera with a 7" monitor from rear view safety. Got the camera and monitor installed. This weekend I will be running the cable. I like it but think the instrustions need to be a little better on how to wire up the little lites that it has on the camera.
I bought a 50' 3 way RCA heavy duty cable. I used the red end for power and ground, the yellow for video and the white I'm saving for another camera. I ran the cable from the dash through the floor and followed the wire harness back to the rear. I brought the cables up through the spare tire well and from there I used a 3/4 inch PVC pipe to run it the last 4' to the top of the coach. I sealed the pipe with silicone and attached it with silicone as well so I can just pull it off if I need too. My camera didn't have a separate wire for the lights.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #38

One last thought from me. I installed the camera system and it worked fine. 3 days later I'm reading the forum and see a thread about "turning off the side view camera" Well, it hit me like a brick because even though the monitor has an off and on switch I never put a switch on the camera to turn it off I just hot wired it and it was on all the time. It now has an off and on switch. Simple things you miss even when you think you have gotten it right.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #39

I started this thread when I was wondering which system to buy. I finally took a chance and bought the Rear View Safety system and so far it is working fine. The instructions are a little vague and generalized but not incomprehensible. Plus they are in pretty good English.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #40

Costco has a weatherproof 3 camera systen for 250.00 and with that you have 1 for each side and back.Wiring it in to signal & does it auto.I have a newmar 05 kountry star & am going to install in min as my sons 05 Ambassador Hoiday Rambler has the 3 camrea system & I loved it.Feel a lot safer on the freeways doing 80 with the diesel being able to see beside me to change lanes.
scotty2hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Will you see all 3 at the same time? Or are you wiring the sides to only come on with the blinker, rear in reverse?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Anybody have any feedback on this wired 12 volt system on ebay?
I bought that one last year and it has performed flawlessly. Installation was straight forward once I figured out where I was going to run the wires. I carry a scooter on the back and I have it wired to be always on so I know at a glance that I haven't lost it. It is peace of mind.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote