Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Back up camera Upgrade

Sorry I did post this question on another irv2 forum but didnt get any response.

My RV is a 2000 and has the B/W sony monitor with sound. Has anyone ever upgraded theirs to a color camera and monitor? If so will the existing wiring work or will that need to be upgraded as well?
Also if you did upgrade what is a good camera that will provide good quality picture in day and night lighting?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I did mine on a 99 pace arrow, I think the original was a panasonic?
I used a setup I bought from costco, and I did have to run a new cable to the back of the coach. Not as hard as it might appear, the interior windshield pillar trim comes right off, then down thru the dash, along the frame, up between the rear cap and the back of the coach.
Most class a's have a pretty good size open space inside the front and rear caps.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Wish you could just use your existing wiring and unplug the old monitor and plug in the new color one, as well as the camera....*sigh*,,,
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Wish you could just use your existing wiring and unplug the old monitor and plug in the new color one, as well as the camera....*sigh*,,,
No experience with them, but they do make wireless backup cameras. Don't know about range, interference, etc.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Bought one through Overstock.com. Rewired. Never realized how long 34' was on my back in gravel. Works Awesome! $120. Looks exactly like the one Camping World has for $350...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

I bought a color system from ecbuys.com to replace my Sony B/W system when the camera went bad. The new system used standard RCA jacks for the video/audio connection plus it needed two wires for power. The original Sony cable has two mini coax cables and two power cables. So I cut off the original ends and soldered RCA ends onto the mini coax wires and connect the power feed to the other two wires. I got the RCA plugs from Radio Shack. They also have ones that are solder-less that could be used. It was a bit of work but kept me from having to run 35' of new cable.

The camera has some IR LEDs that illuminate in the picture in the dark. They work ok when moving slowly for instance backing up but at highway speeds it looks like a blizzard.

Mike

PS

It was a bit of work to solder the connections since my existing cable ran into the overhead cabinet work and the space was tight to work with. One reason I used the existing cable was to keep the wires hidden.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will be doing that upgrade soon. I bought a color system from Costco online. It is the Rear View Safety one. Saved me about $50. I am planning on running the new cable. From what I've read, the wired is way more reliable than the wireless. Standard electrician trip is to use the old cable as a pullwire and feed the new cable in that way. I'll try to post pictures and follow up when I actually do the install.

sCary
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #8

My write-up on installing a $93 dollar system is posted below.

There is no reason why you can't use the existing cable - two adapters under $2 each can make it work.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...g the rear.pdf
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #9

Ken great write up and the pictures help a lot. Did you say that yours had audio too? I do and not sure its needed but would like to retain it if I swap.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Ken great write up and the pictures help a lot. Did you say that yours had audio too? I do and not sure its needed but would like to retain it if I swap.
I posted a reply but don't see it here.

Basically, mine has no audio that I recall. It would be a problem since my camera is inside the rear cap like many pushers.

To make audio function, if there was a microphone input on the camera, would require making an opening in the rear cap and mounting an external microphone.

I just don't see the need for sound. I can hear car and truck horns from the driver's seat and I don't know of any systems that have audio - but I'm sure somebody does.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
COSTCO has a camera system from Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com Rearview Safety. I installed one in my MH and it only took about 4 hours. The wiring is what took the longest. The camera fit in the existing spot. The wiring runs down and under the RV just like the original. It's a nice system that allows me to install the side view cameras if I want too, later.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
TGR

My Motorhome came with sound on the rear camera. I has found two situations when it has been helpful for me. 1 when I am towing the car on the tow dolly - I listen for out of the norm sounds while driving. I found a tire strap came off on one trip. 2 - when I am backing up it makes it much easier to hear what my DW is saying.

If I had to replace my camera I would get another one with sound just so I can hear what is behind me when backing up.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
SuperGewl, How does your audio sound. I installed my system this weekend and I am disappointed with sound level. I talked to rear View Safety and they were no help. My old system was a Voyager B/W and it had plenty of volume. The new system is barely audible. I have the volume turned up to 40. I find the audio very valuable when I am backing up and my spotter is giving me verbal cues as to how it is looking.
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post

My RV is a 2000 and has the B/W sony monitor with sound. Has anyone ever upgraded theirs to a color camera and monitor?
I am still running my Sony B&W that is 18 years old. What do you hope to gain with a color vs a B&W camera?

I had not considered the upgrade before you mentioned it.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera