Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
My home parking spot is very tight but I have never felt the need to have a camera for that purpose. Occasionaly we tow a small trailer with a golf cart and that is really the only time I have ever felt like I wanted a camera. We are 32' long and so far I haven't felt like I needed a camera at the pumps although I'll admit it would be nice.

Costco has a nice looking system for ABOUT $200.00. My biggest issue is how to run the cable from the camera to the front. I have no desire to have a cable running down the back of the MH so that it can be run beneath the MH. Now maybe if someone told me how to run the cable I'd be a lot more interested. $200.00 really isn't that bad if you have the desire.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #16

Most likely I will be running mine underneath with the wire loom. But I will address that when I get my coach. I want it for towing my v-nose on turns, as the back end is so far from rear wheels, don't want to crunch anything.
RHINOPOWER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 AM   #17

Our coach has rear and side cameras. I only use the rear to check on the toad, I use mirrors for backing into driveway or campsite as the sides are my main concern. My wife acts as spotter to stop me, she can see more than the rear cam. The right side cam is more valuable to me, as it will show a major blind area for our rig, a short car that is parallel to us on multi lane roads cannot always be seen with right mirror. I have learned to turn on right turn signal earlier for change to right lane just for this purpose. I have had a couple of near mishaps here before learning this.

Jimmy
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I use mine to watch the jeep and with the wide angle I can see when I'm clear to pull back in after passing. I do use it as an assist when backing in a spot but I like Suzy's directions better.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use mine for all the above. I went as far as putting thin (~1mm wide) strips of tape on the monitor glass indicating my RV's width +1.5 ft on either side. This way, as I'm backing up, if an obstacle is outside that tape I know I will clear it without any issues. I use my mirrors too but rely on the monitor more than the mirrors. I'm only 40 and grew up with video games. And I'm damn good at backing up my video game!

This works great for backing into spots that do not have low trees or anything that you could hit the top of the motorhome. When pulling into these spots I use my bride as a spotter for the high stuff while using my rear camera and mirrors to position the coach in the spot. I've gotten into some pretty tight spots. Hasn't failed me yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto to all... I wouldn't buy a coach without a backup camera. Not a huge fan of the sideviews, glad I have them but the rear view is mandatory.
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
I use mine for all the above. I went as far as putting thin (~1mm wide) strips of tape on the monitor glass indicating my RV's width +1.5 ft on either side. This way, as I'm backing up, if an obstacle is outside that tape I know I will clear it without any issues. I use my mirrors too but rely on the monitor more than the mirrors. I'm only 40 and grew up with video games. And I'm damn good at backing up my video game!

This works great for backing into spots that do not have low trees or anything that you could hit the top of the motorhome. When pulling into these spots I use my bride as a spotter for the high stuff while using my rear camera and mirrors to position the coach in the spot. I've gotten into some pretty tight spots. Hasn't failed me yet.
Wow, a kindred spirit X2!! Not only have I bogus'd up my B&W monitor with tape to show lanes on each side of the coach lane, but referring to your admiral as your "bride" is pretty unique. Glad I'm not alone

I just bought a color monitor and will get a new color camera shortly....still trying to decide whether to keep the current coach a whole year, or sell and get one with a floorplan that more closely suits us (TV in the den type)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
....still trying to decide whether to keep the current coach a whole year, or sell and get one with a floorplan that more closely suits us (TV in the den type)
This is our first coach but we shopped for a long time comparing floor plans. Having a TV in the "den" rather than over the windshield was our #1 floorplan requirement! I won't own a coach that with a TV over the windshield.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera