Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Backfire! Kohler Generator

I replaced my fuel pump on generator, after adjusting the fuel mixture with the shut-down control removed the gas flow seems to be correct until I put the air filter on, the carb seems not to breath and backfires with black smoke!! what am I doing wrong?
dspowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspowers View Post
I replaced my fuel pump on generator, after adjusting the fuel mixture with the shut-down control removed the gas flow seems to be correct until I put the air filter on, the carb seems not to breath and backfires with black smoke!! what am I doing wrong?
When the air filter gets put on, it restricts the air flow to the point that the generator runs rich. That explains the backfire and poor performance.

Can you adjust with the air filter ON the carb?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
While I agree with the poster above, I'd also find it real unusual that a proper air filter would make such a difference?

Is there something wrong inside the air filter, a restriction of some sort?
Is it interfering with some linkage when you put it on, perhaps closing a choke or something?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The generator is running very rich I adjusted idle fuel mixture screw 1-1/4 turns out and engine does not start, unless I turn idle fuel screw back down, but it seems that the engine is running hard, it stays started but there is gas shooting from carb. When I put the shut-down solenoid back it does not start at all. After it runs for about 3-5 min seems like it less gas shooting from carb, my fear is the gas shooting from carb. What should I do to fix this problem myself $$$$
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Float is not seating and allowing rich condition.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

sounds like the float level may be off and doesn't close the needle valve completely when fuel bowl is full and excess fuel getting sucked into the venturi resulting in rich mixture.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
How do I adjust the float level, I have the owners manual but nothing about the float only the carb,choke and governor. Which of these controls the float?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspowers
How do I adjust the float level, I have the owners manual but nothing about the float only the carb,choke and governor. Which of these controls the float?
As stated the needle may not seating.

Does fuel leak or drip from the carb when not running? It's a clear indication of the issue at hand.

Depending on clearances you may have to remove the carb.
Remove the fuel bowl followed by the float then needle and inspect for any gummed up gas or debris on the needle and where it seals up against in the carburetor.

With it not sealing properly the bowl overfills with fuel and gets sucked through the overflow tube and into the carb causing your rich mixture.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
With the generator running tap on the side of the carb. with a small hammer or screwdriver handle, this should free up the float. Onans were notorious for float/needle&seat problems. Either dirt or a groove worn into the needle will prevent it from seating properly and cause flooding. I've seen some needles with a neoprene base that wears on the seat and refuses to seal properly. Not sure if this was Onan or an aftermarket part. They also had a problem with their float: some were porous and would actually absorb gas and sink thus opening the seat. Others were brass and would leak around the soldered union and also sink.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you buy the fuel pump from kohler? It sounds like you have a fuel pump that is putting out way too much pressure. Just because it is the same type and make pump, Does not mean the pressure is right.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote