Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Backing boat with 30ft. v-10 gasser

Do any of you pull a boat? 30ft ACE with 24ft of boat and trailer is a long load. I see numerous references to not backing up and I have read whereby a front hitch is attached to push boat down the ramp. What do you do, and what obstacles have you experienced. Can a 30 ft coach with a new 6.8 v-10 pull a 2900 lb rig up a steep ramp? Thanks for your comments.
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

If you try a search you should find other threads on this topic. Lots of people tow boats and other trailers without problems, the do not back up comments usually are in reverence to a toad being towed four down. When backing anything with a large motorhome it's advisable to have a second person outside the unit to watch the rear and communicate with the driver. My advise would be to know the launch before you get there so you can gauge for yourself if you have enough room to manouver, the steepness of the ramp, and traction issues. How busy the ramp was would also be a factor for me, the less other launchers the better. Wtih a bit of planning and a good facility you should be fine. Good luck.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I pulled a 19' boat behind my 32' MH tag axel, with no problem. It was on the F53 chassis with a 460. Pulled fine up hills. Some ramps are a little steep so the tongue would get high and the stern low, before the MH rear wheels broke over the edge of the ramp. I could back it OK. It had a front hitch also; the DW could put it anywhere, down the ramp and into the garage.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We pulled a 20ft ski boat with our first 28 ft MH but never backed it in, had a hitch on front and would push it down the ramp and then back it out.

Better traction and the fact that The one time, we tried backing with FIL ground guiding, I screwed up the tongue-

new to it, rookie mistake and when I lost site I didn't stop, bent the tongue pretty good and eventually ruined a tire on the trailer from not pulling straight. Used the front hitch from then on.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I used to back up boat trailer with 21' class c. Much smaller than your setup. I had a front hitch but preferred the rear so I did not have to change at the boat ramp. I could not see the trailer from my mirrors at all so I added extensions make the trailer lights about 6 inches wider and when the trailer was exactly straight I could just see the trailer lights on both sides. Worked for me but I have had quite a bit of experience backing small trailers..............hope this helps..............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #6

I also use a pair of Harbor Freight hitch alignment ball-on-a-radio-antenna units. They have a magnet on one end. I put them horizontally on each side of the trailer when doing the launch. I can see them in both mirrors when the trailer is straight. I remove them just before putting the boat in the water.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #7

Not a good idea because of the slippery algae covered ramp + the overhang on the coach = no traction.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #8

That could not have "slipped" that far. A brake must have failed or failed to be put on. Lood at the angle. It is not that steep.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Did it regularly with a 5500 lb boat. Check the ramp carefully before commiting and go for it.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo
That could not have "slipped" that far. A brake must have failed or failed to be put on. Lood at the angle. It is not that steep.
I'll bet the driver backed down the ramp and got out to check the boat and in she went, floated out a ways.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 32 foot A V10 and i back a 23 foot boat into lake all the time. Most of the time my tires don't even get wet. Pulls the 4500 lb boat just fine, no power issue. Short steep ramps are tough long gradual ramps are easier.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I'll bet the driver backed down the ramp and got out to check the boat and in she went, floated out a ways.
Yeah, and I'll bet alcohol was involved too.

I've spent plenty of time on boat ramps and that would not happen from algae. Forget to set the brake. Put it in reverse instead of park...any number of things.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #13

The owner was showing a prospetive buyer that they could launch a boat with the rv. When he attempted to exit the ramp the wheels just spun and started sliding backswards. The ramp was wet and slimmy. Even with the brakes applied it still slid into the water. Prospective buyer decided to not buy the rv. Remember to always check that the ramp is not slippery before launching a boat.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote