Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am not sure you need one in most all states. I know you do not need one in Arkansas, Oklahoma, I have seen several posts where people say you do not need one in their state. I have an Arkansas drivers license. I can drive my MH in any state no matter what there requirements are for having a special license.
The key in my post was "Most all" , I realize that there are a couple that do not have laws on the weights of what you drive.......Thank you though......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am not sure you need one in most all states. I know you do not need one in Arkansas, Oklahoma, I have seen several posts where people say you do not need one in their state. I have an Arkansas drivers license. I can drive my MH in any state no matter what there requirements are for having a special license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The key in my post was "Most all" , I realize that there are a couple that do not have laws on the weights of what you drive.......Thank you though......
"Most all" is correct.
(Wisconsin is the third state of the "couple").
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Z06

Indiana does not require a special license for an RV.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No special license in WA either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a 'complete' list, I don't swear by it's accuracy.

RV Driver's License Requirements

32 states have NO restrictions.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
It looks like most all is not correct either, how about some.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like I might just be wrong on my statement of "Most All" if this correct RV Driver's License Requirements 36 states do not require anything special.......I am surprised with my search....... I stand corrected.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Backing An RV Into A Campsite: RV Driver Confidence Course 7 | betterRVing!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Lots and lots of practice! I had to back into a spot at Ft. Wilderness (Disney World) at night recently. First rule: don't be intimidated by anyone who may be waiting. Rule 2: don't be afraid to pull forward & re-route your turn (and that's AFTER having gone outside to do a site inspection for obstacles). A spotter is helpful, for sure.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember " momentum is your friend" .
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, I forgot a very important point on my previous post:

1. Click the link.
2. In the search box type "backing into a campsite".
3. Hit search.
4. Click the backing video.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
There was a comment on the forum yesterday about all the "Old Truck Driver's" on here owning Motorhome's.......if one had ever driven a big truck, driving a Motorhome is a easy task........and also, Truck driver's also understand/know the mechanical workings of them(Engine & chassis). Truck driver's most always never have a spotter when backing up, they always survey the area when pulling up to it, by stopping and looking, or getting out and making reference points to remember to look at in the mirror's when backing. Other than "Teams" , most all driver's are all alone.........
And even one better, I see all the time when Big Coach's are bought, the owner is never told or does not know he needs a special license to operate it in most all state's........Having this endorsement will help with/receive training for driving one.
It depends on the state and weight. E.g. in Washington State anyone with a Class D (i.e. regular license) can drive a 55,000# 45' Motorhome pulling a trailer. There are even custom rigs with a class 8 truck pulling a massive 53' shipping container conversion or fifth wheel. If it is recreational use,you can use a car license.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I like to back in so I am turning the steering wheel to the left. This leaves me on the opposite side of the road before I start backing in.

I get out and look at the campsite, noting any overhanging branches.

Then I figure out how far from the pad (if there is a pad) I want the right side. I then figure out approximately where I want the rear axle to be. I then step off 9 feet from where I want the right side to be.

I lay a wooden block where I stepped of the 9 feet and where I want the back axle to be.

I position the coach so I can back in and back up to end up with the wheel about 6" from the block. DW keeps an eye out to ensure I am going where I told her I thought I was going to go.

We generally can park the coach really close on the first attempt. Once I am in and straight I may do a bit of fine tuning to get everything where we want it.

DW knows to watch for overhanging branches, stationary posts (have not had one move yet but expecting) and too close to pad.

If you try this you will have to experiment with the placement of the wood block to suit your eye and coach.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One of the old truck drivers here, and what I would do backing into a dock with no lines to go by, is place a glove on the ground where the line would or should have been, straight out from the dock, on the drivers side! You can do the same thing backing into a campsite, if the ground or drive is not clear to you in your mirrors. Pick a spot that you want you back wheel to go, place the glove down, and when you are backing in, just miss the glove with your back wheel and cut it in. When you are straight enough to see the site out of both mirrors, then you can adjust as you need to get it just where you want. As everyone else has said, if unsure, Get Out And Look! And always back in from the drivers side, if at all possible! Look the site over very good, before trying, know how much room you will need, meaning, how far from the rear wheel to the front of your coach. If there is a rock at the corner that you will have to miss to get into the site, then get out and pace off from it to any obstruction on the opp. side of the road. That way you know it will fit before you get it into a position that might be hard to get out of! If it won't fit one way, then drive past, turn around, and see if it is better from the other direction, "blind side" Just remember , you have a huge overhang behind, and yes , I am talking about your MH!! And do not be afraid to get out and look, I still do after 35+ years! Hope this helps, if not, disregard! Rail!

Tags
motorhome