Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
LSC9901,

Geez...nice park job. How do you get to the electrical bay to plug in?
It probably takes me more time to prepare and actually plug into the 30 AMP connection than it takes me to park it. I get my power cord out via the opening in the floor of the bay and then I have a suction cup that I can hang the cord from. I put it in the parking spot and then have to crawl under the bus to connect to power. I'm used to it now so it isn't any big deal. The location of the power was just the easiest place to put it.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #44

Here is the best procedure I have seen,

How to Back Your Motorhome or Camper Trailer into a Campsite on the first try.

Phil

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #45

While this is our first motorhome we back it in because we find it easier to control. Maybe my years of boat ownership backing the boat into the garage biased my approach with the motorhome. I have just enough room on my drive for the coach and still be able to extend the steps. Slide however cannot go out but I think if I pulled in I could extend the slide and the steps. Might try one day. DW and I have a lot of work to do regarding hand signals ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driveway.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	129421  
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
These kinds of directions may actually work for some people, but they drive me nuts. (I know, short drive)

There is no substitute for practice. Learn how to use those mirrors. No, really learn how to use them! Many have already said go to a parking lot and practice backing. You MUST learn to have a "feel" for backing this large vehicle, because nobody is just born with the ability to back something they haven't grown up driving.

I had a motorhome back in the early 80's, and could do nearly anything with it. Then got rid of it and didn't get back to a MH until about 20 years later. Guess what?? I was rustier than an old tin can at backing, had to re-learn!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #47

It never ceases to amaze me to read about co-pilots, blind spots and backup "helpers."

I drive our motor home solo about 80% of the time, on the road for business. When my wife is with me, I don't want or need her to navigate or tell me about vehicles in the so-called "blind spot." If your mirrors are adjusted properly, you won't have a "blind spot!"

I would NEVER want someone on the ground directing me into a parking space. That's what mirrors and rear view cameras are for.

In my opinion, if you cannot precisely and accurately back your motor home into a tight space BY YOURSELF, you either need a lot more practice or you shouldn't be driving the thing in the first place.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #48

The challenge I have is the glare off of the driver's side window that in some light prevents me from clearly seeng the image in the mirror. It's only intensified when I have the window open (another layer of glass between my eyes and the mirror) to communicate with the spotter. I guess I could stick my head out the window.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #49

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
It never ceases to amaze me to read about co-pilots, blind spots and backup "helpers."

I drive our motor home solo about 80% of the time, on the road for business. When my wife is with me, I don't want or need her to navigate or tell me about vehicles in the so-called "blind spot." If your mirrors are adjusted properly, you won't have a "blind spot!"

I would NEVER want someone on the ground directing me into a parking space. That's what mirrors and rear view cameras are for.

In my opinion, if you cannot precisely and accurately back your motor home into a tight space BY YOURSELF, you either need a lot more practice or you shouldn't be driving the thing in the first place.
As previously mentioned, my husband can back it by himself but why should he if I am there? An extra set of eyes is always helpful.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #50

To each his own, but hand signals are troublesome at best, marriage breakers at worst.

Simplest solution to parking communication is cellphones. Most cellphone plans have free calling between phones on same account so it should be free.

Driver's phone set on speakerphone, DW stands outside and tells me when I'm about to hit something I can't see. No shouting, no mystery hand signals, no wife beating.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #51

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
To each his own, but hand signals are troublesome at best, marriage breakers at worst.

Simplest solution to parking communication is cellphones. Most cellphone plans have free calling between phones on same account so it should be free.

Driver's phone set on speakerphone, DW stands outside and tells me when I'm about to hit something I can't see. No shouting, no mystery hand signals, no wife beating.

Not all areas of the country get a cell signal. If you must insist on actual talking, then walkie talkies are best.

If both agree on hand signals and what they mean then it is a much easier way. The stop signal is especially critical.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Janet and I have been quite successful in moving the 5er and the coach.

To start with we discuss a clear plan on what is going to happen. If it is straightforward the plan is quite simple. If the spot requires some jockeying I tell her what I want to do (back to this position, pull forward, cut to this angle, etc.)

When both of us are on the same plan it goes very well.

One of the biggest things is watching for overhanging obstacles if under trees or near other overhead obstacles.

Watched a fellow back his 5er into a substantial tree while his observer chit chatted with bystanders holding the cell phone. We do not use phones or radios. If I cannot see Janet I stop.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #53

The problem with walkie talkies is someone,
in the heat of the moment, has to remember to push the "Talk" button when screaming "Stop, Stop, you're running into the tree!"

Then, the driver has to say, "Why didn't you tell me about the tree?"

Then she says, "I did!"

Then the driver says, "Did you push Talk?"

It's all fun and games until someone gets a barbecue fork in the back.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #54

A few thoughts......

The Lazy Daze "method" is WAY to complicated......

I use my camera, mirrors, AND a spotter (even on a pull though), why not use every resource your have?

I'm not trying to impress anyone and I don't care if I get it perfect on the first time, or it takes me 5 times (even on a pull though). I'll still usually get out at least once, probably twice to make sure I really like how I am in my spot. I often re-park my car too, because I don't like how it is in the space!

Someone has hit the pedestals that are out of whack, someone hit the water spigot and caused the water to get turned off in the campground, someone crushed their bay doors hitting the rock or pole, someone put a nice scratch on their paint because they were watching the rear view and not looking up high enough to see the branch, etc. And did you see the picture of the person who drove off their Class A the back side of their site and their 40'er was sitting at 45 degrees with no tires on the ground resting on its back bumper and frame.

Just take your time, and be careful.........
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #55

Jim,

Here is how I do it. It is simple, I can do it alone, and it is extremely accurate, and works every time. I park my motor home in my garage, and I need to be in the same place every time. I have a backup camera on my motor home. I want my RV dead center in my garage. I painted a 1" wide stripe down the center of my RV parking space, and I can simply back up keeping my tow bar that is attached to the rear of the RV covering the white stripe, by watching it in my camera. Where I want to stop, I have a cross stripe that is covered by my tow bar that is laid to the side, indicating when I am in as far as I want to be. I am always within a half inch or so each time.
You could do the same if you are on solid parking, but use a contrast color if you are on bare concrete.
Mike
Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mialco View Post
Jim,

Here is how I do it. It is simple, I can do it alone, and it is extremely accurate, and works every time. I park my motor home in my garage, and I need to be in the same place every time. I have a backup camera on my motor home. I want my RV dead center in my garage. I painted a 1" wide stripe down the center of my RV parking space, and I can simply back up keeping my tow bar that is attached to the rear of the RV covering the white stripe, by watching it in my camera. Where I want to stop, I have a cross stripe that is covered by my tow bar that is laid to the side, indicating when I am in as far as I want to be. I am always within a half inch or so each time.
You could do the same if you are on solid parking, but use a contrast color if you are on bare concrete.
Mike
Sounds familiar to me, but I really like the cross under the towbar. Why didn't I think of that?

mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote