Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #1

Backing up help needed.

Newbie trying to park mh. Never owned a mh until a couple days ago(37' dp/going full time in 4 months) and tried pulling it in next to the house with no luck I'm sure because I really don't have driving experience and just can't get it straight enough(have 10' of usable width now). One side is the house and the other side is a hill that can be cut back(if I have to but would rather not). Quick question is is it easier to back in vs pulling in to get it straight quicker? My street is full two lane with parking on both sides(normally no cars parked), the hill starts 11' from the street and the house is 30' from the street. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks/Jim
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

We pull in and back out and park next to garage. Just easyier then trying to back in.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Backing up help needed.

There are several videos on YouTube for this. You've got to set up your mirrors and use them correctly as these videos describe. Also some visual markers on the ground or on structures around your spot will help, as well as a spotter on a 2-way radio or cellphone. Practice makes perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
IMO pulling straight in and backing out is easier and safer. Have a spotter guide you out when backing onto the street.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My opinion is that backing in gives you more control.

When you pull in forward, you have little opportunity for correction because you can't control the back wheels....they always follow the front wheels.
And once your front section is inside the parking spot, your very limited as to manoeuvring.

When you back in, the front tires (Which provide the steering control) are still in the open area. So you have more opportunity to swing the front wider to make corrections so the rear end goes where you want.

Try to back you daily car into parking spots as much as possible for practice.
It will become easy with Practice.

You become a much better driver is you are able to handle backing up well, it can keep you out of trouble.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Measure the mh and figure out where it needs to be in relation to the house such as x amount away. Then paint a line on the drivers side where you can use the mirror and keep mh on the line.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

I back in my carport then It's easier to leave.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I prefer backing in but that is just my preference.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Lazydays produced a good "Driving with Confidence" video that is available on YouTube. I suggest you and your wife watch it together as it discusses the responsibilities of the co-driver and will give her valuable information on providing you with effective assistance.
Proper mirror alignment is essential as is a spotter on your blind (curb) side and behind as depth perception is mostly lost when looking through a rearview mirror. The biggest "backing up" advice I can offer is to be aware of your rear axle position as it is the pivot point that your coach turns on both going forward and backwards. If you turn to early, before your pivot point is past the target corner, you'll cut to close.

Good luck, it gets much easier with a bit of experience. You might also benefit from a bit of time practicing in a vacant parking lot where there is nothing to clip.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get some cones and go to a parking lot and practice! You know all RV sites are not pull through so practice, practice, practice!!!

Damdannyboy
Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

I'm thinking that sooner or later you will need to back into a place that is as difficult or more so than at home. If it were me I would go to a large vacant space and practice until I felt confident, then back into the space at home with an observer to be certain nothing is destroyed. It really isn't that difficult, it just takes a bit of learning. Ask one of those semi drivers running doubles or triples. :-))

Best of luck with it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

When you pull in forward, you have little opportunity for correction because you can't control the back wheels....they always follow the front wheels.
And once your front section is inside the parking spot, your very limited as to manoeuvring.

When you back in, the front tires (Which provide the steering control) are still in the open area. So you have more opportunity to swing the front wider to make corrections so the rear end goes where you want.

Try to back you daily car into parking spots as much as possible for practice.
It will become easy with Practice.

You become a much better driver is you are able to handle backing up well, it can keep you out of trouble.

Regards,

Dan
X2 - backing IMO allows more precise placement of the back wheels.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Dan
dpinvidic
I find pulling in forward is easier because the back wheels always follow the front wheels.
BTW I don't back up without my spotter giving me guidance.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Get some cones and go to a parking lot and practice! You know all RV sites are not pull through so practice, practice, practice!!!

Damdannyboy
Very good advice. Also use a spotter to guide you as your backing. The guide will be responsible for anything behind you. Look out your left side view mirror, and like a gun site, keep the side of the MH lined up with the spotter. If they move left or right just follow them (they should use hand signals to direct you).
Stop immediately if you loose site of the spotter. As your backing it's your responsibility for watching the front of the MH for clearance.

Bill