Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I'm having a new garage built to house the MH. I will use your suggestion of the white lines on the floor in the MH bay. Great idea.
I was very careful when I painted the lines to insure that if I was inside the lines I could get the slides out on both sides and the basement doors open on both sides.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
The cell phone is a good idea. Never thought of that .. Nice update to
walkie talkies

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I was very careful when I painted the lines to insure that if I was inside the lines I could get the slides out on both sides and the basement doors open on both sides.
good point, thanks
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #18

This summer DW and I tried the cell phones. There was quite a delay at times. One time I heard her shout something, so I stopped. Then I heard her on the cell phone.

She's going to be laid up for a couple of weeks after foot surgery, and I'm going to give her a new ARRL license guide. Then we can both use the radio.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #19

For about twenty years I've back the travel trailers and then the two motorhomes (not at the same time, I only owned one at a time ) around the tree, into the rv pad which was almost 12 feet wide, between the house and the fence. Several times the DW tried to guide me but it seemed we had different opinions as to when and how much to turn. So, I did it myself, and without incident. Never tried it at night though because the lighting wasn't good enough to suite me. As another poster said, you can do it a number of time fine, then oops. We didn't want to take a chance so we sold the house and are now full timing.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
For about twenty years I've back the travel trailers and then the two motorhomes (not at the same time, I only owned one at a time ) around the tree, into the rv pad which was almost 12 feet wide, between the house and the fence. Several times the DW tried to guide me but it seemed we had different opinions as to when and how much to turn. So, I did it myself, and without incident. Never tried it at night though because the lighting wasn't good enough to suite me. As another poster said, you can do it a number of time fine, then oops. We didn't want to take a chance so we sold the house and are now full timing.
Thats one way of getting rid of the tree
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #21

For what it's worth to me one line would be better than trying to stay between two lines. The one line on the divers side would require you only watch one side - thought being if you stay close to the one line the other side is going to clear the obtructions. I used to have a 46 foot sailboat with very little space between the docks. I found when I tried to keep it between the docks (lines in this case) I would most always bounce off one dock or the other & sometimes both. But watching the one side and staying close to that side but not touching allowed me to dock that beast without hitting either side.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Worth a try, could alwyas add the 2nd line later if needed.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Backing with lines

ciderdog is right about the lines. I backed a 34' 5er into my garage and it is more difficult than my new to me 38' MH. I painted an orange line (road maker paint) on the driver side only. Made no sense to me to have two lines. If you're close to one you are there. The reason, if you don't know, that the 5th wheel is harder is because the relationship between the truck and the trailer are never quite perfect. So looking in the mirror at a slight angle gives the backer, me, a funny view. The line gave me the perspective I needed to get in. Before the line, I was never really where I thought I was when finished.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Worth a try, could alwyas add the 2nd line later if needed.
I tried one line at first. The problem is the sun and where it is in relation to the coach. Depending on the time of day, one side or the other is nearly impossible to see in the mirror due to the glare and reflections. With two lines, I can always see one, on one side or the other, and when the coach gets about one third of the way in, I can see both.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #25

I have a garage (48 ft x 16 ft) under construction for my 43 ft DP . I was advised by my son in law (long distance truck driver) to install 2 red lights at rear of garage about 9 ft apart to use as guidance while backing in. He also told me to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to sit by the DS mirror when MH is in garage where it should be. I suspect the line or lines would help also.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
I have a garage (48 ft x 16 ft) under construction for my 43 ft DP . I was advised by my son in law (long distance truck driver) to install 2 red lights at rear of garage about 9 ft apart to use as guidance while backing in. He also told me to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to sit by the DS mirror when MH is in garage where it should be. I suspect the line or lines would help also.
I think your son in law will agree, there's not much that's harder then backing into a dark building and many have no lights to guide you...It also helps to turn on the parking lights if you have one you can see in the mirrors at the rear corners of the coach.
I drove for a sash and door company back in the 70s, their inside docks not only were dark they also were built with a slanted floor so as you backed in the trailer would start to lean to the right because they loaded the doors and windows against the right side wall of the trailer then secured them with spring loaded load bars. It was fun to watch a driver who had never backed into those docks when their trailer started to lean to the right...

blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote