Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Backup Alarms

My Newmar Ventana has a beeping backup alarm, how many of you have disconnected yours? I worry about arriving late in a campground and the this just annoying the heck out of everyone, what has everyone else done?

HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

If my Outlaw had one I would disconnet it. I understand the safety thought behind these alarms, but in a camp ground it would be rather annoying.

Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
My Newmar Ventana has a beeping backup alarm, how many of you have disconnected yours? I worry about arriving late in a campground and the this just annoying the heck out of everyone, what has everyone else done?
I dint think much about it until someone else came into the park and I heard theirs. Mine was disconnected before they had finished hooking up. They are annoying.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
I disconnected our alarm several years ago. I greased & covered the connectors incase I was forced to use it again. The alarm appears to be an OSHA requirement for job sites. So I can see it on dump trucks, garbage trucks, and other construction equipment that move near people.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

There have been threads on this before and someone wondered about the effect on your insurance if you had one and then disconnected it and backed into someone or their property. I don't like them either, it lets everyone know that the camground has put you in too small of a spot and you're now on your third try to get in there
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have had people move out of the way when I hit the reverse button as they just stand there to watch, and if I was to pull into a resort late(dark) I for sure want mine working, better to have some mad and no one backed over! Your big diesel engine has already disturbed things already, might as well let folks walking around that you are backing up.
I would rather have them upset than squished and dead!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I'd disconnect mine as well, as to backing up, I always have a spotter
behind me with a walkie talkie. The beep beep annoys everyone, and
the tress can't hear it to move out of the way.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have had people move out of the way when I hit the reverse button as they just stand there to watch, and if I was to pull into a resort late(dark) I for sure want mine working, better to have some mad and no one backed over! Your big diesel engine has already disturbed things already, might as well let folks walking around that you are backing up.
I would rather have them upset than squished and dead!

I agree 100%.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Many that are professionally installed include a rocker switch near the rear bumper (mine is passenger side) to turn it on or off.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Many that are professionally installed include a rocker switch near the rear bumper (mine is passenger side) to turn it on or off.
And your "professionally" installed back-up alarm switch is in what position?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

I installed a switch on mine. If I'm arriving at a bad time I shut the alarm off, otherwise I leave it on. I agree they can be very annoying.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #12

Wonder if a bird chirping sound would be less annoying? Amazon.com: Wolo Model BA-64 Bird Chirping Back-Up Alarm - 12 Volt: Automotive

Personally I don't think my MH needs one. With a side-radiator my engine is quite loud standing 20' behind the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I unplugged mine the day I brought it home. There is nothing more annoying than a backup horn going off in an RV Park, no matter what time it is.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
And your "professionally" installed back-up alarm switch is in what position?

Currently off as I'm sure my neighbors dont need to hear me backing into my parking spot. Unless their sneaking around my house and cant see the 35 foot MH backing down on them. In that case they'd be squished and dead!