Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Backup camera

Please tell me what is involved in changing out a B&W rear camera to a COLOR camera. Will both the camera and the dash mounted pop up video viewer unit of our 2004 Intruder have to be replaced? If so, an idea of cost? Our B&W screen is often difficult to see.
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Your monitor and the camera will have to be replaced to get color. The wiring might also have to be changed depending on the system. If you stay with the same brand of system you currently have you can probably use the existing wire.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Do a search on this site. Many options.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #4

About 99.999% of the time, the "cable" that links the two together, will have to be replaced due to the fact that, the connections/wiring/etc. are all matched from Camera to Monitor. An average 7" color camera and monitor will run you close to $500.00. There are more expensive and, cheaper sets to choose from but, that price is about average, for a good setup.

Running a new cable can be the most difficult task of replacing the system. RV builders should have put a chase tunnel for situations like this but, as of yet, I know of no one who's replaced a camera/monitor setup, tell he/she had one.

Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT has the original Sony color system in it. Every once in a while on a trip, it goes on the fritz and I loose the picture. Then, out of the "blue" so-to-speak, the picture returns, good as new.

We were just at Camping World near Flagstaff AZ and, there was a 7" Monitor and color camera there for, I think, around $387.00 or so. I'd have to re-check that to be sure. It looked like a good system but, I didn't get too far into the specs on it. Might be worth looking into.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some months ago, I bought complete color system from e-bay for under $100.00. It works well, and I am very happy with it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

I have just done the same thing on My Meridian. I got a kit from Tim at RVcams.com, which comes with three cameras, and a new LCD color monitor. The kit also includes a mounting bracket to fit the new screen into the dash, and conversion cables, so that I could use the existing cables.
only down side really was the cost at ~$1000, however it has made a world of difference when backing up.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

I did switch my 3 camera B&W system to color. Used all the existing cables to the cameras. Cables to the monitor were different so they had to be spliced behind the dash. No big deal. Stayed with the same brand and the rear camera tilt even worked, just as before. Wasn't cheap though. Over 1,000.00 just for parts.
So much nicer than the B&W system. My system was a Voyager.
Side cameras were smaller than the B&W so new holes had to be drilled and required a little painting to match as my coach was not painted under the cameras.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Backup camera

This wireless system gets RAVE reviews by many.......no wires to run either!

http://www.asaelectronics.com/digita...echnology.html

Digital Wireless Observation System featuring WiSight Technology

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439852457.649598.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	103648
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Thanks to all. Just wanted to know if the process was more than simply buying a new color camera and maybe a new monitor. But, re-cabling changes things. There several other less costly upgrades that are higher on my priority list, than color CCTV. Although, it would be a must, should I ever replace this MH.
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I did switch my 3 camera B&W system to color. Used all the existing cables to the cameras. Cables to the monitor were different so they had to be spliced behind the dash. No big deal.
This is exactly right With proper splicing you can use the existing cabling. Did the same in my coach, except that I dislike the side cameras, so I just went to a color rearview camera and a 9" monitor. Cost less than $250.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	103666  
Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Check angle of view

I also upgraded the B&W backup camera and monitor in my 2007 Coachmen Mirada to a color system. It seems that the RV industry were very slow to adopt flat screen displays, as both my backup monitor and front TV were the older, very heavy CRT-type units. I was able to adapt the existing camera cable. There were 4 color-coded wires inside for ground, video, audio and +12 volts. I think this was the standard Voyager wiring. I bought the camera and a 7" monitor on eBay for around $100 total.

Only one regret - I now have a much smaller angle of view. The old camera had a fisheye lens, and the new one a wide angle lens, but with a much narrower view. There was no way to tell the difference, even looking at the side-by-side. The color is a great improvement, and I can now see more clearly where my rear bumper and nearby objects are, but I can't see traffic behind me in multiple lanes as I could before. I don't think there is any standard for the powers of lenses built into these cameras, and don't recall any mention of it in the ads. Keep in mind that there are many variations on "wide angle". Currently I am looking into buying an inexpensive fisheye lens that I can mount over the glass on my backup camera. I have tried one made for iPhones, but the aperture is too small, and I get a perfectly focussed circular image that fills about half of my monitor screen!

Best of luck with your conversion.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 99 Allegro Bus 35'. I bought a 9" screen and a color camera on Amazon for $88 including the 2 wifi relays (one at camera and one at monitor). I had two issues:
- no power at the camera and too complicated to run a powered line to the ignition so I used the old camera coax for + and - and connected it to the same + and - which feed in the back of the screen. It works great and power both the camera and wifi when ignition is on.
- screen turns black when in reverse but works when in D or N: on the old monitor, the Allegro has 2 green wires, 1 blue wire and +/- . I had connected the blue to + and ignored the green ones. Well when I did not have image in R, I tried connecting the green but it killed the engine!!! Anyway, the solution was to disconnect the blue and connect instead the 2 greens to the +. The monitor is on all the time with ignition on (D,N & R) but as I have a remote I can also shut it off.
Finally make sure that the wifi sending/receiving unit is high enough to avoid interferences (I get a little bit when my low air buzzer is active)
As you can see there are a lot of option and price differences.
Hope this help.

Tags
camera