Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Backup camera cable routing?

On my 2002 R-Vision Condor, my original BU monitor was failing, so along with the new one, I decided to install a new camera. I settled on the $200 Costco unit with the 7" LCD. I just have no idea yet how I'm going to route the new cable from the camera, and wonder if anyone knows how it was originally routed. While I had the overhead cabinets (above the driver's head) out for another "project", I saw that the camera cable makes it to the front of the coach in a plastic pipe along with 2 TV cables, some big 12V lines, and some other cables. This pipe is located in the ceiling panel, above driver's side wall. But I cannot for the life of me figure out where the other end of that pipe is, or how the wires got into it. From under the coach, I can see the void in front of the rear "cap" up to the bedroom floor, but then there is plywood fitting tight up against the cap. That's going to make it tough to reroute the cable down inside the cap and along the frame rail. I even removed the large mirror in the bedroom thinking maybe it hid an access panel - no joy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

You could do what I did. I cut the ends off the original cable (not like it was going to do me any good as is), then carefully spliced the ends from the new harness to the old - color matching front to rear (if that makes any sense).
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

Splice

Seriously considering it. Four wires in the old cable. If the new one also has four, I think that might be the easiest as long as they are about the same gage. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you find the wiring to be different, you might be able to cut the end in the overhead cabinet and splice the new wiring to it and snake it through the conduit.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran underneath in elec. pvc conduit. Found lots of holes and places to tywrap to frame. Just stayed away for hot and moving parts.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I used that same costco backup monitor in a 99 pace arrow a few years ago.
If you search rv.net for my user name, you'd probably find a thread I did with pictures showing how I mounted the costco screen in the original big panasonic box, it worked out pretty slick.

The wiring for the costco unit is probably completely different. As it has terminations and connectors on it and handles high frequency videio signals, messing with it is not a good idea.

I ran the new cable down under the trim on the drivers side of the windshield, down under the dash, and thru the firewall.
From there, I just ran it along the frame with the existing wires, used lots of tiewraps.

At the back of the coach, there was an air space nearly a foot deep, it was a simple matter to drop a weighted string down thru the camera hole and use it to pull the new cable up.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #7

If shopping for a new camera and monitor, here's the one I used. Was recommended by somebody else here, and have seen it mentioned several time since I bought mine. Great buy with no issues.... and it uses 4 wires (power/ground and the 2 video wires).

7 LCD Color IN CAR Monitor w/IR Reversing Camera 7 LCD Color IN CAR Monitor w/IR Reversing Camera [P32 ecbuys]- US$87.99 - Ecbuys.com
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Thanks

Thank you all for the info. JimM, I'm sure you're right about messing with the new cable. The technology has advanced quite a bit since the original old CRT was installed at the factory. I am considering your idea as a last resort - bringing the cable down and along the frame, but as I mentioned, that gap at the rear of the coach is completely sealed off a few feet above the ground by the form-fitting plywood. I guess I could drill a hole in the plywood from underneath and then try to fish the weighted string down from the camera location, through the hole in the plywood ........ no too sure about that.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Remove a tail light and then cut the plywood carefully as there is probably wires on top of it. I used a wood chissle to work through the wood and foam insulation. Then used a fish wire to pull the backup camera wire down. I then fed it down from the light to under the coach. Then to the front.
Re foam to fill the hole in the wood and fill in behind the light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6818 (Small).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	13768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6820 (Small).JPG
Views:	170
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	13769  

Name:	DSCF6847 (Small).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	13770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6849 (Small).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	13771  

Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Thank you for the idea and the photos. I think I figured out the easiest way for me. I removed the "third taillight" right in the middle of the coach, and found that it is just above that problem piece of plywood. But it is directly below the camera. So I am going to drill a hole through the plywood from underneath, drop a weighted line down from the camera location and then I can easily fish it through the drilled hole once the third taillight is removed. Then along the bottom of the chassis. I was really wanting to route it through that pipe the old one is routed through, but I'm thinking now that maybe they fished everything through and then glued on the rear end cap.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Be very careful as there are probably wires run across on top of the plywood spacer. There were on mine. I was lucky and had a photo of how they were run - from the factory tour - and didn't drill into them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0031 (Small).JPG
Views:	267
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	13821  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

I got it done this past weekend. The third taillight was the trick (there must be a catchy name for those) . I removed it, and dropped a weighted string thru the old cable hole and it fell down right in front of the opening. Then I went under the RV and was going to drill a hole thru the plywood, but saw an existing opening on the right edge, so I fished a wire up from there with the end of the new cable attached, attached it to the string and pulled it up. I then tie wrapped the cable all along underneath the chassis to the engine compartment, and thru the firewall with another wire bundle. Except for one thing, it works great. I can't seem to get any sound from the camera through the speakers. This is strange because I bench tested the unit before I mounted it, and was able to get sound at that time. But only when the camera is triggered by the reverse cable - not when you push the "Power" button. Strange. Still, I think a good deal for $200.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Check for a volume controll. Possibly turned down. Mine did the same. Occasionaly it would come on. Possibly pulled a wire from the plug (inside the cable). Who knows?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If shopping for a new camera and monitor, here's the one I used. Was recommended by somebody else here, and have seen it mentioned several time since I bought mine. Great buy with no issues.... and it uses 4 wires (power/ground and the 2 video wires).

7 LCD Color IN CAR Monitor w/IR Reversing Camera 7 LCD Color IN CAR Monitor w/IR Reversing Camera [P32 ecbuys]- US$87.99 - Ecbuys.com
That was me.

Here's a photo essay on the installation.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kOV3TmD...the%20rear.pdf

You'll notice that the original cable was used with simple adapters available at Radio Shack and other electronic parts suppliers.

Using the original cable saves a tremendous amount of time.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera