Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
backup camera comes on with tail lights

discover this weekend that my backup lights and camera come on when I turn on my lights only when the ignition is on. They do not come on when the engine is not running.
lsucajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
It's a 2000 Winnebago suncruiser on a freightliner chassis
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not actually familiar with how Winnebago does it but do you have daytime running lights that come on when the engine is started and if so does that include tail lights on also? If so I would suspect a bad ground somewhere in the tail light section of the coach which is causing you to back feed voltage through the backup lights and camera.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Check the wires in the trailer light socket. The same thing happened intermittently on our 2001 Adventurer. It turned out that water had entered the back side of the socket and made a connection between the backup light wire and the tail light wire. When the lights were on the camera thought it was getting a signal that the motorhome was in reverse and turned on the camera.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

It is possible that someone changed the wiring by connecting into the running lights. I did mine that way so I was able to see what is going on behind me at all times. I tend to use it just as you would a review mirror in a car or truck.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
bdpreece. Only happens with the ignition on... so probably not a ground issue.
Pet Daisy for us. lost our golden to cancer last year... had her for 10 years. had to put her down... it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucajun View Post
bdpreece. Only happens with the ignition on... so probably not a ground issue.
Pet Daisy for us. lost our golden to cancer last year... had her for 10 years. had to put her down... it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Had to put down our last golden due to lung cancer at 8 so I know how you feel. We were not going to get another dog but that only lasted about four months. Found Daisy on Craig's list while traveling in Arizona. She was two and a half at the time. Not sure who saved who.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It is supposed to come on with the backup lights. Probably hooked up to the wrong connecting point.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, light, lights