Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Unhappy Backup camera dilemma

Ok... I bought my 2001 National Surfside with a backup monitor missing but the cable from the camera and the 12v power which had been cut was still there above the driver in the cabinet where the TV is located... Today I opened up the housing at the back of the coach to take a look at the camera and it was empty... No camera, no cable, no 12v power. Nothing, not even a hole in the fiberglass! How do I get power to the camera? I was thinking I would install a wireless system, but I need power! :confused

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
??? I'm confused too. Welcome to the forum.

No Monitor---no camera- no camera wires

So your problem is simple, you just need a complete camera system and since you don't have wiring you might look at wireless systems.

Try a search for cameras and see whats has already been done for camera replacement. I think you can just about spend any amount you want depending on the quality of the system.

I am thinking about getting another system just to give greater field of view in addition my present camera. Not too expensive.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Where do I pull power from for the camera?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My first preference would be from one of the Fuse boxes and turn a spare connection into a fused one. But you may want to tie in to some line that has power only with the ignition on. My camera goes off when you turn off the ignition switch. If you don't have schematics, and you are just guessing a trick I have used to check for power in lines is use a small pin to penetrate the wires and check for power with switch on or off. Some may object to this but I have done this many time.

Maybe an expert will come along and help you. I am just a backyard type.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I think you will be disappointed with a wireless system. Better to go with a wired system. The power for the camera comes from the front of the coach where the monitor is. Run the wires through a closet and under the floor or across the roof. Check out this place for some ideas. I have a unit that has two cameras, one camera is attached to the rear of the fiver so I can verify passing clearance, and the other is attached to the truck's license plate so I can check passing clearance when not towing the fiver, and I can switch to that camera while towing the fiver to check the condition of the fiver's tires while on the road.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #6

I have a backup camera that takes its power from reversing lights. Maybe you could use the old video cable to pull a new one through the cable run and power the camera from the reverse lamp wiring if you have those?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

I might be tempted to find the end of the wire that was there? With nothing to secure it, it may have just fallen through the hole, or been pulled through by it's own weight while rattling down the road?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

I wonder if the coach had rear end damage that required replacing the end cap? That would explain the missing hole for the wiring to the camera.

I've heard of people fishing new wiring thru the bedroom rear cabinet. For the short term you could wire it into the 12V wiring system for the lights that should be there. In my rig, the 12V electrical wiring is in the bottom of my cabinets under a false floor (inside the overhead cabinet). Once you're in there, routing the video cable somewhere where you can route it under the rig might not be easy, but necessary. Or perhaps you'll find the old wiring.

Those cameras use so little power that there's not much worry about overloading existing wiring.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I have an older National and the power to the camera is in the bedroom top cabinet
on the rear of the coach.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a wireless camera and power to the camera from a clearence light. run with lignts on indaylight

Tags
camera