Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Backup Camera Problem

Having backup camera issues that I can’t resolve. When I purchased MH the backup camera wouldn’t work, so dealer diagnosed as bad cable. They replaced backup camera cable and system worked fine. Three months later system fails. Thought it might be the switcher box as cable was new, so I tried new switcher box but that didn’t resolve the problem. Re-installed old switcher box. Unplugged rear camera at the camera system still fails, side camera views is only restored when I unplug the rear cable from the switcher box. Can’t get rear camera view to restore. Have checked ground and voltage. All good. Have Sony camera system with Pioneer monitor. Any ideas on what is causing this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Take the camera off the rear and by-pass the cable by plugging the camera straight into the switch box. If it works you have a bad cable. May have gotten too hot near engine or chaffed from poor installation. If not then try a side camera and see if it works. It sounds more like a bad cable or camera shorting out the switch box killing side camera operation.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mice once chewed on my Dad's coax cable to the rear camera. Threading/covering the coax with plastic loom will add a layer of protection from heat, rubbing, and rodents.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Ok, I took the camera off the back and plugged it directly into switcher box, it works, however, when I tap or move switcher box, rear camera goes off and on. Put on left/right blinker, tapped on box and no interference. Traced cable one end to other, its inside protected sheathing. Couldn't find any obvious burns, breaks, etc. Wonder now if port on switcher box could be bad.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What system is it?

If it's a Weldex the problem is probably a loose connector. Seems to be the most common problem with that system.

I fixed mine by putting a few strands of very fine copper wire inside all of the barrels of the connector. It makes a very tight fit. It has not glitched since.

If you search on 'Weldex' and 'Muddypaws' you'll find my original post about this method.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM28 View Post
Ok, I took the camera off the back and plugged it directly into switcher box, it works, however, when I tap or move switcher box, rear camera goes off and on. Put on left/right blinker, tapped on box and no interference. Traced cable one end to other, its inside protected sheathing. Couldn't find any obvious burns, breaks, etc. Wonder now if port on switcher box could be bad.
Ok, re-install the camera on the rear of the coach, insuring you have a good connection. Do the same thing with the connection of the rear camera cable to the switch box and tap on it to see if the picture at least will be intermittent. If so then you may have an issue with connections and/or components in the switch box.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem, he had replaced the switch box once already and the problem was still there. you may want to check your Power and reverse sense cable coming into switch box. You may more than one thing going on there. You should be able to change the input to the monitor just by pushing a switch so you go to either left or right side however if the reverse sense is being seen then this will override that and go directly to the rear camera. Now when doing that it sends power to the camera via that same possible bad connection which means that you may not be getting power to it all the time.

So take another look at the all the cables and plugs connected to the switchbox and make sure they are all good.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

Finally got the problem fixed. It turned out to be another bad cable. Thanks to everyone for input. I had a dealer trying to tell me it was the camera, another telling me it was the box, another saying cable AND camera. Thanks to the professional people at RVCams that took the time and effort into helping us solve and fix the problem.

Tags
camera