Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Backup camera quandary....

I have a 1993 country coach magna with an intec car vision system 9200, the black and white camera works fine but I am thinking about replacing and going for a color system. Has anyone replaced their camera and monitor and gone through the trouble of rewiring or simply use a wireless system?

There are many options for split screens, narrow or wide angles, wired, wireless, Bluetooth... Ect.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our original Sony b&w camera failed and we replaced it with this one - Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup - Worked great on our long trip last year and still works on our short trips. Yes we had to rewire for it but the old wiring would not work with the new stuff. That was actually the longest, hardest part of the install Thom did since he wanted to make sure it would not interfere with any thing else going from the front to the back.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

I just replaced the Panasonic back up monitor/radio in our 2000 MADP with a system from Leviathan Holdings on Ebay. I mounted the new 7 inch monitor where the rear view mirror was and installed a new Sony AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth radio in place of the radio/monitor. I used the existing cable and spliced new ends on to match the new componets.
Mike
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

I installed a rear-view camera from Rear View Safety on my rig -

Rear View Safety 7" LCD Color Backup Camera System with Audio : Amazon.com : Automotive

Same as Pyrate's

I love it - wired so it stays on at all times and I can see and hear out the back of my rig when driving.

It's a bit pricey, but I figured that is a bit less than what I'd pay for not having it. Was a bit of a hassle to install b/c of getting the right wiring down but after that, it's a must-have for me from now on.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
I have a 1993 country coach magna with an intec car vision system 9200, the black and white camera works fine but I am thinking about replacing and going for a color system. Has anyone replaced their camera and monitor and gone through the trouble of rewiring or simply use a wireless system?

There are many options for split screens, narrow or wide angles, wired, wireless, Bluetooth... Ect.

Any suggestions or opinions?
I've read of folks using the existing wire and buying adapters. You can also cut and splice the connectors.

I have experience replacing the Intec system, and have a PDF document that shows what I experienced, and documents how I ran new wire. The Intec wire is 6 conductor, and you will only need 4 conductors for the new color camera. I ran new wires because I was mounting 2 cameras (one for toad view and one for longer range rear view). Send me a private message with your email address if you want a copy of the PDF document.

One of your trouble spots may be removing the old, crt type monitor. It is big and heavy, and must be removed from the inside of the dash panel. If the old monitor is not in a good location, it's a good opportunity to move the new lcd monitor to a good location. When you get the old monitor out, you will have a hole in your dash that is larger than the new monitor, so you'll need to find a way to cover the hole. I used plexiglass painted to match the dash color.

Two suggestions: (1) Buy a monitor that will accept 2 or 3 video inputs, as you may later want to mount another camera. (2) consider installing two cameras on the back of the coach. (pulling 2 wires is no more work than pulling one wire)

Two cameras give you a close up view for toad hook up and monitoring the front of the toad, and the other camera gives you a view of the toad windshield and everything behind you (and the lanes on either side). Very helpful when passing and merging.

Fred
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #6

I had multiple requests for the PDF document, so I placed it in the files section here on IRV2. You can get to it via this link also.

iRV2 Forums - Files - Rear View Cameras (2) & Monitor Install

You'll have the click the download bar when you get to the files section.

Fred

Tags
camera