Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Backup Camera Replacement

I need to replace my backup camera. Its a hard wired version.
There seems to be more wireless versions on the market. And it seems easier to install the wireless. Please let me know any experience and results you have.

Also....Cant figure out how to get the old monitor out. 1993 Pace Arrow 34.
Anyone know how that's done ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

Good question, since I'm going to be changing my B&W to a color system.

Are you going to stay B&W, or go color?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #3

I am in the process of changing my monochrome (b & w) hardwired system to color hardwired. I just had too much trouble making sense out of what I was seeing with monochrome, especially compared to the backup cameras in my automobiles.

I opted for the more costly (to install) hardwired system because of concern about the quality of signal I would get in a 38' Class A. I would be interested in the experience of others.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Following this thread - we are looking to replace/upgrade ours in our '98 Tiffin Allegro 40ft as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought this 2 years ago. I took out my B&W monitor, trimmed it a little bit (about an inch) and press fit it into the opening. This monitor is designed to be fit in the back of a headrest, but works good to fit in the dash. I also purchased their 66 foot cable and ran it down the rear cap and under the MH. I removed a upper red light, found the cable and dropped a weighted string down one side of my rear cap and attached it to the old cable and pulled in the new cable.

Works good and for the money, you can't go wrong. You might think 66 foot is too long but I only had about 10 feet left over on my 34 foot MH. I think I use a whole package of tie wraps and attached it to a couple of wire bundles under my MH. Breakout your creeper.

INCAR 9 LCD Color Monitor + IR Reversing Camera [P132 ecbuys] - US$114.00 : www.ecbuys.com

http://www.ecbuys.com/cctv-camera-66...cable_p91.html

If your looking for a cheap dash cam, this one works good. I don't leave home without it.

http://www.ecbuys.com/25-lcd-car-cam...-dvr_p113.html
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #6

Contact Tim at RV cams. We just did a complete Camera upgrade from B&W to color and added side cams on my Airstream 40'DP. Plug and play options were available for my coach for the backup camera with just a few cable end connectors, and the new monitor fit right in to the old hole in the dash. Tim was GREAT to work with and we are thrilled with the result (we did have it professionally installed because of adding the side cams).
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by al.fellc View Post
I need to replace my backup camera. Its a hard wired version.
There seems to be more wireless versions on the market. And it seems easier to install the wireless. Please let me know any experience and results you have.

Also....Cant figure out how to get the old monitor out. 1993 Pace Arrow 34.
Anyone know how that's done ?
I think you will be better off with a wired version. If you are replacing the camera and monitor, you can either run a new cable or cut/splice and reuse the cable that is already run from the monitor to the camera. You should be able to find a good quality camera, monitor, and 60 ft cable for well under $200.

I don't know about your old monitor, but when I removed an Intec b&w monitor from my 2000 HR, I had to remove bolts/nuts/thumbscrews on the backside of the dash, remove the monitor trim panel, and push the monitor into the dash cavity. ( The backside of the monitor was larger than the dash cutout.) Getting it around all the wiring is troublesome.

Fred
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Subscribed. A wired color unit is on the list.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
...... reuse the cable that is already run from the monitor to the camera. Fred

Fred, I was told that color systems require a different type of cable ( number of wires?) Can you elaborate on your statement as being one from experience?

Not having to thread new cable would make life a whole lot easier.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
B&W to color last week 2006 Bounder 35E

REAR VIEW SAFETY $219.00
7" color monitor, night LEDs range markers and audio (Reversing only).
This is OUR 2nd buy - I hard wired our THOR Freedom Elite 27' from scratch in 2014! Easy one day job!
Both times we bought from Amazon.com. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438890917.885037.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	102305Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438890917.885037.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	102305
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Fred, I was told that color systems require a different type of cable ( number of wires?) Can you elaborate on your statement as being one from experience?

Not having to thread new cable would make life a whole lot easier.
I ran new cables since I was placing 2 cameras on the rear of the motorhome. When I cut the old cable for the Intec system, it had (if I remember correctly) 6 wires, which is more than the wires for the new color system.

I'll admit I've never done the "use the existing cable" method, but I've read of others that have done so using adapters purchased for the job.

Look at the link below and scroll down until you see the wiring diagram. There's nothing special about those wires, and use rca type connectors. It would be easy to cut the wires on the connector going into the monitor and splice those into the existing wires. I know that is what I would do if only replacing an existing camera/monitor.

Brand New Car Rearview Mirror monitor rear view backup camera system 7inch TFT LCD Key Touch Wholesale,Free Shipping,#180042-in Rear View Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Fred

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement