Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Backup monitor system

We have our Huricane and late last year we had the rear view monitor go our..It comes on but is just a white screen and no sound..We want to replace the system with a system from Rear View or Tadi Brothers.. I like sound and would prefer another hardwire system. My questions are what do folks prefer, has anyone had to restring cable and how hard is it. Also what is the best way to get the monitor out of the dash.The old system is a Voyager..

Thanks for any help
barnmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

I bought a wireless system from Tadi Bros and it works great. I have 2 camera's and 2 monitors for rear view coverage. The second monitor can be seen by the copilot. I really like to keep a keen eye on the hitch, towbar, the toad and the entire road behind me and traffic coming in adjacent lanes. Need two cameras for that on my rig.

My hard wired camera failed so I replaced it. I used the power source for the wireless camera as supplied to the hard wired camera. Don't have side cameras but my new monitor will accept 4 inputs. Planning to put security cameras to give me 360 degree coverage around my RV and put all video souces into a DVR. Still working on this.

Is there any reason you do not want to use the existing cable?

I have a one way audio link from the fixed camera but in general, that audio is of no value to me. We use portable radios and hand signals. (Had to do a training secession with my DW so we have a complete understanding of clear and concise signals.) I much prefer the hand signals to the radio when backing up. My wife forgot to push the radio PTT once when she as saying STOP. Argggg. It was an overhead branch I said to watch very closely because it was out of camera view and it clipped the AC and I stopped when I heard the branch scraping. From that point on she stays visible in my mirror and stop is a hand facing me. We then discuss the reason for the stop, There was too much engine noise to discern any voice over the mic in the camera.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got mine thru COSTCO from Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com .Its easily ubgradeable and simple to install.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #4

I have been told the Voyager cable ends are only compatible with Voyager systems so that is why I figure we need to change out the cable.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rear view poor audio

I tried upgrading my voyager from B&W to the color camera and monitor from Costco. I had to pull in a new cable. The camera was OK, not great. The audio was useless. I sent it in to have it checked. Yep It's useless. I put the old B&W back in.
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmother View Post
I have been told the Voyager cable ends are only compatible with Voyager systems so that is why I figure we need to change out the cable.
Running a new cable is not technically difficult, but you will spend a fair amount of time sliding around under your coach. On most motorhomes, you have to run the cable down the gap in the rear cap, along the frame rails to the front, and then find a way to get up into the front dash area.

I would consider splicing new ends on the old cable (cut, splice, solder, and insulate).

I've had good luck with inexpensive systems from ebay. Monitors are fairly similar, but the quality of the camera seems to vary.

Fred
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #7

Just thought I would give an update..We finally got the nerve to remove the dash far enough to get the Monitor out..As I disconected the power connection I said to the wife where is the cable to the camera.. I swear there should be another connection..We found it down in the wiring loom laying there.. We talked to a Voyager rep and he said the folks who install the systems never install the retainer clip.. We tie strapped it and hope it holds.. That is one headache out of the way!