Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

Bad diesel fuel

Have to agree that it depends on the state of your filters when you get bad fuel. If the filters are new, you may go through a tank of bad fuel without noticing because the contaminants get removed without clogging the filter. Also depends on the filter spec you are using. A 2 micron will clog faster than a 10 micron.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never had any bad diesel in my pickup, or the MH. Also, never had any bad gasoline in any of my other vehicles over a 57 year span. I usually buy where I can get the best price. Think about it, wouldn't those stations have a high turnover of fuel if they were selling it for cheap??
Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #17

How bad is bad? I use a 2 micron fuel filter. The attached article and others like it are my motivation for choosing the 2 micron. The reasoning is that diesel fuel hydrocarbon molecules pass through it easily, and anything that doesn't is not fuel and does not belong in the pump or injectors. I am going to notice "bad" fuel long before the driver filling up next to me with a 10 micron filter does. My experience is that the filter is good for about 4000 to 5000 miles with a variety of fuel stations as we travel. As the article discusses, the manufacturers' recommended filter size is a balance of clean fuel to the engine vs frequency of filter changes.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/...the-facts.aspx
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been running DP's since 2000 and have never gotten bad fuel yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
How bad is bad? I use a 2 micron fuel filter. The attached article and others like it are my motivation for choosing the 2 micron. The reasoning is that diesel fuel hydrocarbon molecules pass through it easily, and anything that doesn't is not fuel and does not belong in the pump or injectors. I am going to notice "bad" fuel long before the driver filling up next to me with a 10 micron filter does. My experience is that the filter is good for about 4000 to 5000 miles with a variety of fuel stations as we travel. As the article discusses, the manufacturers' recommended filter size is a balance of clean fuel to the engine vs frequency of filter changes.

Filtering Out The Facts - Article - TruckingInfo.com
CAPS era fuel systems are like to be damaged by overheating long before a performance loss is noticed. They remain undamaged by less than 10m particles. Heightened awareness and equipment to monitor the restriction is required on those systems. The CAT engines come standard with the 2m, IIRC.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Gasbuddy.com website to research cheaper prices and try to always buy there. In most cases the Walmart Murphy's stores will be the lowest in the area and end up buying there.

I've never had bad fuel from filling up and I seldom use the large truck stops.

When I first bought my coach it had been sitting in Florida for several months with a partial tank, it developed an algae problem. It did not really affect the performance of the coach, found it will doing maintenance on the coach. When I removed the fuel filter I found the top almost completely plugged with a black slime. I researched algaecides and started using them on a regular basis, and always when the coach will be stored for a period of time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Clean air and clean fuel. Diesels love that combo. On my sailboat I had a 10 micron filter and a 2 micron filter in line. The 10 was first from the tank. I had a bypass valve and hose around it in case it got clogged I could bypass it and change the filter underway without shutting down the engine. They always clog at the worst time. I new when it was about to clog when then the engine RPM started to slowly drop at the same throttle setting.

As I mentioned previously, the only bad diesel fuel I had received for my motorhome has been at a Murphy Station. My MH didn't quit running it just ran rough.

Tags
diesel, fuel