Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bad Dometic Fridge

Refrigerator Issues-In our (purchased used) 2014 BOUNDER 33C we have a Dometic RM1350 4 door w/ice maker without water dispenser. Guess what? It does not work properly! Here signs and symptoms: freezer is 17* and fridge is 33*. I realize that the freezer should be more like zero. In addition I am getting a water drip from somewhere up above when looking into the service access. I have never seen any ice made and am told that I won't see any ice until the temp gets down to 5 or 6 degrees. So...where is the water coming from? I know that it is the water supply to the icemaker bc when I shut off the supply, the water goes away.

Does the freezer temp indicate a trashed unit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

There are many posts explaining how to trouble shoot this frig. The first thing I would do is to run the frig on propane for a day and see if the freezer temp changes to eliminate a bad electric heating element (this would be the easiest and cheapest repair). We had this same frig in our last motorhome and adding an additional exhaust fan in the upper vent (ours was in the side wall not on the roof) helped drop the freezer temperature substantially when ambient temperature was high. The water leak you describe is apparently where the water hose that goes from the relay valve attaches to the ice maker that can probably be solved with a small hose clamp. Only problem is that the frig will have to be pulled out to get to it.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks MDPD-all good info. I will try the gas test tonight. The pulling the unit out to find the leak and add fans may have to wait til off season.

Do you still have the BOUNDER 33C? What fridge?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

PM sent.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay-2 nights ago I turned on the fridge but on VAC. It was 33 or 32 in the fridge the next morn and 14 in the freeze. I then switch it over to LP for over night into today. At noon today, with the ambient temp at 77, the freezer only got down12 or 13 but went up later to 17. I can hear the factory fans running at times. The temp sensor in the fridge is fixed and attached to the ceiling of the fridge, left side. So the heating elements appear good, right? So the problem must be in some sort of gas or liquid flow path in the "coil"? A blockage?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Sorry I took so long getting back to you. If the gas operation did not lower the temp in the freezer and you are sure the exhaust fan is running there are a few other things I can think of you can try yourself. First check that the door seals on the freezer are sealing by putting a dollar bill between the door and seal at several places and with the door closed pull it. There should be resistance when you pull the dollar, if not the seal may not be tight enough allowing the freezer to leak cold air. Next, make sure the check valve is in place at the end of the freezer drain hose and there is a small amount of water being held in the hose as an air block. The only other thing you could do yourself is to unplug the thermistor from the control board and allow the frig to run for about 12 hours without it which would cause the frig to run full time. If the temp does not lower, chances are the cooling unit has failed. At that point I would have a certified tech check the unit and before I had the unit replaced I would consider going to a residential refrigerator which is what we have in our 2016. In my opinion, the residential frig is without doubt the best improvement made by the RV industry since putting a home on wheels. Imagine, keeping ice cream when the ambient temp is scorching. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Check the drain hose!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The freezer may need a good defrosting. Those darn ice makers can build ice dams and not allow proper operation. I have had my ice maker out so many times it needs a zipper. Ice can build up behind panels that you cannot see and the freezer may think it is actually close to 0.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
MDPD-how much of an inverter do you have to have to run a residential fridge! I have tried to determine the model of magna inverter I have but it's difficult to see.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:00 AM   #10

As I recall, most of the people doing the residential refrigerator installation go with a 2000W pure sine inverter which is what I believe ours came with although I have read threads where those not boondocking frequently just run the generator when not on shore power and forego installing the larger inverter. If you can not determine what inverter you have, call Fleetwood and they will tell you what was installed. There are numerous posts on residential frig. installation, many with step by step instructions and photos. If you decided to do it you won't be disappointed, just a little poorer.

Tags
dometic, fridge