Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #1

Bad Engine Brake?

The wife, 2 dogs and I took our first run in the MH. After about 150 miles I engaged the engine brake to slow down quickly due to constuction. The brake worked as expected but after i sped up the engine began to cut out and bog down and then the engine light came on. All guages OK.

This happened once before and since I was close to the dealer I pulled in. When Service mgr and I went to test drive it started OK everything ran normal. They checked it out and said they couldn't find anything wrong.

I decided that since it quit acting up after shutting it down the first time I would try it again and as before it ran just fine afterward the shut down. Went on to our destination all was great, except for banging my head a couple of times on the awning arm. (Didn't learn the first time). Took back to dealer and told them of my problem. Head scratching began. Hopefully they will figure it out before our next trip in a couple of weeks. I'm no mechanic but seems to me that the engine brake is not releasing. Maybe a bad switch or valve? Any comments would be appreaciated. We are new to the diesel coach but so far we love the traveling and IRV2 has been a tremendous help. Many thanks.

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #2

Banging the head on the awning arms , that I can help with. Buy a couple of kids swim noodles, brightest color you can find, split them from the edge to the center hole and they will fit onto the awning arm
, and stay put.
Irratic problem with the engine brake, could be a sticking valve.
How long was the unit sitting before you bought it ?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #3

engine brake

Best I can find out it has sit for about 6 or 7 months. Being that its so flat around here engine breaks are not commonly used a lot. Maybe just need to blow the soot out of it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Thought about it more last night after I shut my computer down.
The actuator for the engine brake , on my coach anyway, is operated by compressed air; on ; and internal spring pressure ; off . It could be the the actuator is corroded internally and the air pressure will overcome the resistance to engauge the brake but the spring is slow to dis-engauge it.
This would account for the system working normaly at times and after sitting. There are of course other possibilities; air solinoid slow to bleed off the pressure, or other electrical issues, and the real fix will come only if you can catch it in the act.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you really have an Engine Brake there are many components involved including the engine retarder and the transmission that interact together.

However, if you have an Exhaust Brake which is an entirely different animal, then it probably needs to be lubricated which should be done at least once per year if not more especially if the coach is not used frequently. I recommend Tri-Flow for the job.

Depending on what make of Exhaust Brake you have, you can find a lubrication chart on the Internet to make sure you get all of the important areas including inside the cylinder.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
If you really have an Engine Brake there are many components involved including the engine retarder and the transmission that interact together.

However, if you have an Exhaust Brake which is an entirely different animal, then it probably needs to be lubricated which should be done at least once per year if not more especially if the coach is not used frequently. I recommend Tri-Flow for the job.

Depending on what make of Exhaust Brake you have, you can find a lubrication chart on the Internet to make sure you get all of the important areas including inside the cylinder.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
You have an exhaust brake and it needs lubrication. Richard is correct.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

maybe it wasnt the engine brake making it cut out...maybe bad fuel filter and not getting enough fuel to engine?? jeff
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maintenance

This might be helpful. However, after buying the lube and looking for the parts I found my 08 400ISL does not have one like this. It uses the turbo and transmission for braking.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
look for bleed hole on tubo pluged by mud dobers. they did it to mine.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

Lots of things can stop the engine brake from working. Sure sometimes lube is the issue, but TPS (throttle postion sensor) not seeing zero throttle or falling into it's range will do it and you'll need to be plugged into data to know that. Other things will do it to, like a wire inside the tranny that is for the oil sensor rubbs and will mess with the 5v the tranny uses for its' sensors will give the tps bad readings and not allow the brake to operate.
This all requires a allison tech who can plug into the coach.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

Exhaust brake issue

Thanks for all of you that offered your help with this. I realize that its not a engine brake but was calling it that because that is how Winnebago chooses to label it on the dash. I thought of the fuel filter but the only time it acts up is a few moments after I turn off the brake. They are sending it to a Cummins dealership so maybe they can catch it. It's on their dime so it's not costing me now. I contacted the previous owner and he said that he hardly ever used the brake but had an issue with it. He had it lubed by freightliner but no telling how long ago that was. After it is repaired i assume i should use it frequently to keep it in proper working order? Thanks again for the help.

Bruce
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You have an exhaust brake and it needs lubrication. Richard is correct.
X2.. Lube it. Follows Richards lead...

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake