Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Bad Gas

In my over 30 years of having MH's I have never got bad gas, well there is always a first time. As we were traveling from northern Ohio down I-77 to Myrtle Beach it was time to feed the beast. The MH was running fine this part of the trip. We stopped at Exit 146 just into West Virginia at the Marathon station. It looked good because of all the vehicles that were gassing up there. About 30 miles down the road I started to lose power in the hills and a couple of time it stopped running but restarted. I was thinking I may have gotten bad gas or the fuel filters were plugged, was not sure what was causing this. We did make it to Wytheville for the night which was over a half tank of gas to get there, 3.7 MPG for that leg. Took a chance that it was bad gas so down to the T/A and filled up with high test gas. It started to run better but the story will be told the next day when we leave for the remainder of the trip. When we left the next morning the MH was running just like normal, must have been bad gas.
If traveling down I-77 at exit 146 in West Virginia I would avoid that Marathon station if you don't want the same issue I had.

belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the "heads up".

Bad fuel can be a real problem, but fortunately I don't think it is a very common issue. I can only think of two times in my lifetime that I got bad fuel, and each time it caused significant problems in terms of cost & time.

How often do other folks run in to bad fuel situations?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what was "bad" about the gas. High test brings the average octane level up a bit, but can't fix dirt or water in the fuel (the typical "bad gas" problems). High test can't clean a filter, for example. You probably need to replace the fuel filter.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The filters was part of my thought process as the problem was happening. It was best to start at square one which was new gas. That must have been this issue because if the filters were bad it would have still ran bad. This is a good point because when I return home for service I will have them replace the filters also.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

I have been driving for 58 years and never had a case of bad gasoline. Fuel filter replacement is part of normal maintenance.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I have been driving for 58 years and never had a case of bad gasoline. Fuel filter replacement is part of normal maintenance.
Many people , wish they had your kind of luck.
Personally , I've had a gasoline fill up 22gal in a car that caused the same issues the OP described, whole tankful to go 100 miles. As an automotive mechanic I've dealt with the issue countless times, including a customer who made it less than 200 yards from the pumps when his engine quit, and a new diesel P/U owner that required 10K$ repairs to get going again.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

My wife said if you use Beano you want get bad gas
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

It was just a matter of time.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman1 View Post
My wife said if you use Beano you want get bad gas

I've heard that.....
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

If there was water in the fuel, there are ethanol additives to absorb the water so that it can be burned. I would have tried that.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

I get watery gas fairly often so I carry several cans of HEAT. It seems to help...but not as much as burning it all out and getting quality gas at the next stop. I can tell if I get watery gas as soon as I need to climb...the engine informs me it doesn't like the last gas stop.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I once got bad gas and my engine lost most of its power until my next fill up then never had an issue again. Mine came from a station in Key Largo so it was most likely water from rusted tanks. The reason I think that is because, 2 months later, the tanks were dug up and replaced.

Tags
gas