Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #15

First, did not know they charged for an estimate, secondly as simple as the exhaust is on the bus, 270.00 seems a little high to me ?? New to the class A game, guess some on here are used to the sticker shock--hey at least we have NO inflation according to the brains in economics !
CARDINAL905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
I see $315 for testing it. You are stuck with that much.
Next is the $724 they quoted for the repair. Now it is $1039.
You okayed the next $270. And there are always incidentals.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding, but the charges seem to add up okay.
Confused.
X2. I would expect that the incidentals ( often government mandated) and the hourly rate was posted. It does seem the price charged aligns with the work performed, especially if the work resolved the generator problem.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Exhaust:
64 Caddie - $750.00 to have dual put on All Stainless All welded (kept old system all fairly new stainless).
82 Pace Arrow all new stainless from mufflers back again dual.$300.00 Same shop.
Did I pay too much? "Maybe" but it was done the way I wanted it to be done. Not a penny more than estimate. I think that they should have called you before extra work was done.
Have you used this company before or did you go in blinded?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #18

A brand new 4k watt gen costs less than 500. on Amazon so this sounds excessive.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #19

How big a generator are wr talking about
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #20

Even a Briggs and Stratton 10k genie is only $1200. new.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
A new Onan Quiet Diesel like in our rig would be somewhere in the range of $7000 or more to replace w/o labor. Guess we will continue fixing it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Even a Briggs and Stratton 10k genie is only $1200. new.
True. Inquiring minds will want to know.

Please try one and provide a review on how adaptable to the MH genie slot, how well you sleep with it running, and how well your neighbors liked it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow520 View Post
Here in MI they would only be allowed to charge 10% more than the estimate without getting your approval first.

Sorry you got shafted. Check with your state's DMV and see if they have similar regulations about marking up estimates. You might be able to recoup your extra charges through small claims court.
The Department of Motor Vehicles may not have any information about generator estimates.
Many states may have laws pertaining to "automobile repair" estimates, (RVs and RV accessories, like generators, not so much).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #24

If they had to remove the generator from the vehicle I can see them running up a bunch of hours taking it out, fixing the problem and putting it back in. At $ 125 an hour it adds up fast.

But now that you've put negative comments out in a public forum and filed a complaint with the BBB it's a bit late for any conversation
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8
If they had to remove the generator from the vehicle I can see them running up a bunch of hours taking it out, fixing the problem and putting it back in. At $ 125 an hour it adds up fast.

But now that you've put negative comments out in a public forum and filed a complaint with the BBB it's a bit late for any conversation
Yep, or having a tech run out to a muffler shop to get a pipe made.... I wouldn't expect the tech not to get paid for his time chasing down parts and pieces.
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #26

The reason I put this in a public forum , was to give RV owners a heads up that if they take their MH to this shop they may want to get a better idea of what they will pay. I had no idea they were going to charge me 300 plus before any work started. I also failed to mention that the Tech told me he would straighten the mounting bracket that had apparently been bent from a previous tow job or winch out---which they did not do. The exhaust is a very simple maybe 11/4od elbow with a straight 4' or so pipe, 270 plus seems excessive to get this back together. Then there is the 65 bucks that should have been in the quote price. The simple fact that they did not have the invoice ready when I picked it up (they had my credit card copied beforehand) and insisted that they will e-mail it soon, should have been my tipoff of extra charges I was not aware of. My beef on the charges is maybe only 3-4 hundo, this may not seem like much for a gen service on a DP, but this is plus 40 percent. I hope this helps perhaps a couple people in the future---just sayin. Mike.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

the belt on some onan gens are garantee for life in a rv if you are a original owner mine is
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #28

Talked to a Regional for Clifford power, he checked into it and credited me back 315.00. He stated that they should have put the total into the quote minus the extra cherges. I think this was more of a branch issue as they have 10 branches. The bottom line is we are both happy, they made some money and I dont feel like I got that screwed. Now I just hope all works well with the gen this weekend up north ! Mike.

Tags
generator, service