Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Bad horn

The horn went out on my 2008 40 ft Fleetwood Excursion. Anyone know anything about a fuse or relay? The horn is chrome on top of MH. Very loud like big truck when working. Thx in advance for advice. You guys and gals have been real helpful in the past. Many times better help than dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
rg1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Mine quit working also. Only a muffled sound. Found caterpillar nest inside horn. Removed and it works fine.
Newbie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #3

Check the electric connections at the horn module.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #4

The horn itself runs on air. The horn button in the steering wheel will ground one side of a relay coil. The relay will then power an air solinoid. I would check for 12v at the horn solinoid valve when the button is pushed. If you get power, the solinoid valve is defective. Any truck parts house will have one. If no power check fuses or try swapping relay. Look in your owners manual for fuse and relay locations. Hope this helps!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Very good advice given so far. It seems from previous discussions on the air horns not working, it usually is a solenoid problem. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of cleaning as they are known to accumulate calcium deposits internally.

Don't make the same stupid misdiagnosis I did back in the days when I was new to diesel pushers ...as I was sitting in the driver's seat waiting for the air to build, I tried to blow the air horn and it didn't work so I just figured that they were broken and I'd have to add that to the list of stuff I had to eventually fix. Never did get around to it but several months later I was driving in a remote location and just for kicks I thought I'd try them. They worked fine! After thinking about it for awhile, I then realized that I must not have given enough time to build the air needed back when I thought they didn't work.

Here's a short troubleshooting guide from the Hadley website (link given below) if it will help:

Horn Won't Sound

• Is air coming out of horn?
    • If yes, look down projector(s) to ensure there is no obstruction / restriction (examples: spider nest, leaf, moth, mud dauber nest, bee hive, etc.). If you find any type of obstruction / restriction remove and try horns again.
    • If no obstruction / restriction found remove back cover and perform cleaning procedure to remove debris from diaphragm seats.
  • If air is not coming out of the horn, check to see if there is air pressure in the tank.
    • If yes:
      • Verify there are no kinks in the nylon air tubing.
      • Check that the solenoid has power (minimum of 10vdc) when the horn button is pushed.
      • If power is available and you do not hear a clicking sound from the solenoid, the plunger is most likely stuck in the closed position and will need to be cleaned (550 Series only).
        • First empty the air from the tank (Do Not attempt to remove solenoid with air pressure in tank as this could result in personal injury) and then remove solenoid in order to perform solenoid cleaning procedure (add link to solenoid cleaning procedure).
    • If there is no air pressure in the tank, please refer to the compressor section.

- See more at: Technical Docs | Hadley
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check the electrical connections at the solenoid valve. Sometimes corrosion starts in the butt connectors and nullifies the ground. Mine quit and I changed out those connectors and the problem was solved.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleCK
Great stuff. Ours works occasionally and then not.

Would I find that solenoid in the service bay under the driver seat ?
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes. Easy to find, just look for the air lines coming in and going out of the solenoid (black). Also check your connections on the dash switch and the switch itself. Any of these could be the culprit
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote