Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Bad inverter?

We have a 99 Fleetwood Discovery with a Freedom 10 inverter/charge. Our microwave will not work off batteries or the generator. Does that sound like a bad inverter? We bought the unit last year and the microwave only worked on shore power.

ASSuming the inverter is bad - I searched for a Freedom 10 on line, those I found were "out of stock". I found a 1000 Xantrex Inverter but it looks like a smaller and less expensive unit. Is this a suitable replacement for the original Heart Freedom 10?

Thanks for any help.

LOVE OUR DP!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

I have been studying inverters and functions for a while now. My problem with my 1996 Stormwind is the fridge will not run on shore power but will run on propane and the generator. This happened after a power surge. Also, my rear air works on generator power and the front air relay switches but does not blow but works fine on shore power. Fuses are the first thing and the last thing I checked. I ran down the schematics and from what I can see is that we might have in common is the transfer relay. I also keep in mind that wiring can get switched at the generator or anywhere for that matter. My RV has 18ag wires hooked to 10ga wires etc. That can also pose a problem. Do you have a multi-meter? If not I would get one. The more working parts the more that end up not working Green pea to RV's but I am an electronics troubleshoot technician. If you figure it out let me know as I am troubleshooting also.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

Bad inverter?

After posting I realized that if the microwave is not running with the generator, either the microwave circuit is not connected properly, the inverter is bad or it's the transfer relay. The only 110v I have is from shore power.

I checked the AC voltage output and it was 100v but I have a digital voltmeter and I read on line that to accurately measure the output of the inverter I needed a special meter. I am going to use a lamp socket with pigtails and see if the inverter output will light the bulb. If it does, I will be looking into the transfer relay. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Duane,
Welcome to the forum. If you have 12 DC volts going into the inverter and 120 AC feeding your AC circuits your inverter is OK.

Whenever there is a complaint of some appliances working off the generator and others working off shore power I get suspicious of the transfer switch. The best way to test the switch is to measure the output voltage to the coach from the transfer switch when connected to shore power and then the generator. If you can read 120 volts AC on each live leg to neutral in each situation the transfer switch is good if not it needs to be replaced.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Bad Inverter?

Can anyone tell me where the transfer switch is?

I don't see anything in my electrical compartment that looks like a switch or relay. I found two elect. components inside the fuse enclosure, they were called disconnects. I found many other places under the coach that have 2 heavy gauge wires connected to them but I think they are just connection blocks.

Could the switch be built into the Freedom inverter/charger? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak605 View Post
Can anyone tell me where the transfer switch is?

I don't see anything in my electrical compartment that looks like a switch or relay. I found two elect. components inside the fuse enclosure, they were called disconnects. I found many other places under the coach that have 2 heavy gauge wires connected to them but I think they are just connection blocks.

Could the switch be built into the Freedom inverter/charger? Thanks for any help.
Your Freedom I/C does have a transfer switch in it, but it isn't the one you are looking for. The transfer switch for selecting shore or generator power will be very close to the main circuit breaker panel. It may even be attached to the rear of that panel (mine is).

What kind of coach do you have?
What make Main breaker/distribution panel?

If you can find and trace the wire feeding your main breaker it will lead you back to the transfer switch.

*** I just noticed in your first post that you have a Fleetwood Discovery coach. Call or e-mail Fleetwood customer support and they will e-mail you the electrical diagrams for your coach.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #7

I would bet it is under the fridge behind your breaker box. You will need to remove the breakers and take the box out to see it. It is probably a magnetec. Look for a burnt wire on one of the legs. I have a 2001 and that is were mine is located. Keep us posted on what you find
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

One more thing. You will have a few wired connections labeled, genset 1, genset 2, shore and inverter. Chase these wires as well. If one is burnt or loose it will cause your problem. I have a 37v I assume that both of our coaches are close.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the help - it is behind the fuse panel under the fridge.

It has 3 sets of wire. Top hot has 110V on shore power; middle set .08V with gen running; third set 110v on shore power, .08 with generator. If the gen goes to the inverter first I will have to look for a problem from the gen. If the gen is wired to the inverter before the transfer relay I guess the relay is bad.

Had a hip replacement in Mar have trouble tracing the wires. Anyone know a test I can do to determine whether it's the inverter or the relay?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, generator is not working properly.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok, generator is not working properly.

Might check the circuit breaker on the genset.
Richard

Tags
inverter