Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Bad tasting ice from ice maker

Hello all! We have an ice maker in our fridge and cannot use the ice it produces due to the taste. The ice taste like the water hose. Our water hose is on a reel, so filtering is done from the campground water source to the hose. Can anyone suggest a way to filter the ice maker lines or a way to get the taste out of the water hose?
Thanks, Curtis and Jackie
Jbgrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

I haven't had this problem in my MH, but spent 30+ years in the restaurant industry and only experienced this when a new system was installed. Try a bleach sanitizing solutions in all your fresh water lines. I would start by placing your hoses (I'm assuming you are using white hoses) in the tub with a bleach solutions and let set for an hour or so. Rinse throughly after sitting. Drain all your fresh water sources and sanitize your system. Fill and drain the system at least twice and then fill. Make sure when your system is draining that you turn off your ice maker and drain it and then spray and wipe with a bleach solution. Rinse throughly with water. You will also want to have it cycle with a couple of loads of ice (throw away).

If this doesn't work I would try calling the manufacturer. But in all my years that is what I have done.

Good Luck
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Like Arnold said, sanitizing is the key. On my unit I put 2-3 oz of chlorine bleach into the end of the water hose that is on the reel first, then I hook it up to the faucet and proceed to push the chlorine through the hose to the tank or the faucets depending on you fill lever. This does a great job of sanitizing the fill hose.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just sanitized my hoses last night, and with the filter on my coach I've never had a problem.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

In-line filter?

Is there an in-line water filter connected to the ice maker water supply line?

Mine's under the sink and easy to forget about, especially forgetting to remove it when winterizing or chlorinating the RV -- and ruining the filter in the process.

Anyway, if you have an in-line filter for your ice make, you may want to replace it.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

In addition to sanitizing the lines, I added an inline filter for the ice maker. The water inlet line for my freezer is accessible from the removable exterior panel behind the refrigerator. There is a valve there with 1/4 inch copper line that feeds the solenoid valve for the ice maker.

I found a small Aqua Fresh filter that is 6-3/8" long and 1-5/8" in diameter that will fit into area by the valve. The filter comes with two copper compression fittings.

I purchased two of them from Filters Fast while they are on sale. I should be good for a couple of years.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you using the white hose designed to prevent the problem you are experiencing?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Put a water filter on the hose at the faucet or between the hose and the coach. Either way, all water in the coach is filtered.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use only the white hose and no well water- Use only city water-
Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

I bought an inline ice maker filter at Lowes that fits in the line. Randco has copper line in his motorhome, my Beaver has a plastic line that is exactly the right size for the filter. Open the outside access behind the refer, cut the line, slide the ends into the filter and you're done. Very easy to do.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for the helpful information! We will most definitely sanitize and change the under the sink filter, we were not thinking it went to the fridge since the sink and fridge on opposite sides, but changing it can't hurt. Haven't seen any filter when looking behind exterior panel, but, putting one on doesn't sound too difficult for hubby. Our water hose is the white one on the reel so changing it could be done, we just don't want to unless we need to, but we will if all other options fail. And as far as an outside filter at the faucet, we always use one and have changed it out several times. Again, thanks so much for helping. Will have busy week next week doing all this, then will try it out again, headed to South Dakota and Yellowstone for a few weeks. God bless you all!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbgrams View Post
Our water hose is on a reel, so filtering is done from the campground water source to the hose.
And there is your problem.. there are but three solutions to this

1: move the filter.. There are several ways to do this, Several fliters can be installed at the motor home end of the hose which is where they belong.. It may take some plumbing skills but odds are that the first fitting in the motor home, once you find the end of the hose is either a standard 3/4" garden hose pair or a 1/2 Inch IPT threaded pair and that is where you put a whole house filter

2: Filter just the line to the ice maker

3: Do not use ice maker, use ice cube trays and a Brita filter in the fridge.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Update, this is what we did: we sanitized, but not with bleach, the rv dealer did not recommend this due to the bleach could break down the seals and cause leaks, instead with a sanitizing kit made by Thedford. Then we changed the house filter in the bay area for the whole coach, we changed the under sink filter, and lastly we put in the inline ice maker filter from Lowes. Of course we changed all the filters after sanitizing. I'm not sure which change fixed the problem, but bad taste GONE!!! Now I can use my icemaker. Thank you all so much for all the advice.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great advice here from most alll...sanitize!!
jponyboyace is offline   Reply With Quote