Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad tire extender

My tires are 19.5 inch with Wheel Masters steel braided valve extender. My MH is 7 years old and never before had a problem with the tire valve extenders. I was trying to put air on my MH rear inside dually. I had to wrestle several times to get a reading of 87 lbs. I wanted to add more air. But I could not get air into the tire. I thought that I had a bad valve stem. I carry extra valves which are normal single tire valves. So using my tire valve removal tool, I removed the valve only to find out that it is not normal but a long rod like piece that looks like a spring connected to a tire valve. I attempted to put it back in but could not get in for enough to be able screw the valve back in. Can I purchase a new valve with the rod spring and just place it back into the Wheel Master's
extender body or do I need to purchase a complete new steel extender?
In order to put on the new extender do I need to remove the tire? If so I will take it to tire shop. Thanks ................

2015 Flagstaff Super V Trailer
Model 26VFKS
Towing with F150 Crew cab 5.0L
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
It sounds like you had the airless extenders... They cost me a brand new Michelin X tire.
The O rings deteriorate and that changes the length enough that it lets air out. I replaces mine with Dicor extenders and no more problems.

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Rick Long, I had the opposite problem. I don't believe any of these extender are safe from eventually going bad & causing a slow leak.
TXredfish. You may try removing the extender & installing the valve core with the hose staight. There is an adjustment on the extender that allows the long rod of the core to press against the valve core in the wheel (not the extender) thus making it possible to apply air pressure to the extender then airing up the tire. If you adjust it to tight it will allow both cores to be depressed & air to escape from the tire. You should spray a soapy mix on the stem & extenders with the valve cap off, if there is a leak it will bubble. I use windex or similiar. It is possible to remove the extenders with the wheels on. It can be a challenge & may require a pair of long needle nose pliers.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do yourself a big favor and get Dually Valve stems and get rid of the extenders.

Dually Valve - Kits

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
If you're talking about the inside of the valve stem, there were a couple different styles that were made. I have interchanged these valve cores many times.
Kent and Sally Lunda
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire/Slide 300HP Cummins8.3C
2004 Honda Odyssey (Toad)
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced the valve stem extender with a new one and problem solved. I took off the valve stem housing and was able to put the valve stem back in. With the valve stem extender off and valve stem in and with my compressor I blew air into the extender and it let air pass through as though it would work. I put the extender back on and it still would not let air into tire and could not get reading on air gauge. So I purchased a new valve stem extender and put on the tire and it works just fine. I don't what was wrong with the original extender? It acts as though the valve stem rod would not push in far enough to push the tire valve enough to let air in or out.

I know a lot of people have trouble with the extenders. I don't understand how the airless extender could leak air while going down the road. The Wheel Master Airless does not let air into extender without pushing on the valve. The only way that this could happen is that the tire valve would be stuck while being pushed in. That could happen with any tire valve not just the extenders. If the extender is damaged or cut no air in the extender thus no leak.

Thanks for your help.
2015 Flagstaff Super V Trailer
Model 26VFKS
Towing with F150 Crew cab 5.0L
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Do yourself a big favor and get Dually Valve stems and get rid of the extenders.

Dually Valve - Kits

X2, these are great.

puttin is offline   Reply With Quote