Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Bad Water Filter???

I replaced the charcoal filter cartridge a few weeks ago on my main city water inlet. It's been cold so I've just been filling the fresh water tank and disconnecting to avoid a freeze.

It has seemed like it's been taking much longer than usual to fill the tank and I thought I might have a problem with my "tank fill/normal" valve.

The nights haven't been freezing this week so I hooked directly up to city water and, following an inital rush of water to faucets inside the coach, it slows to a trickle. I've verified that there is 50lbs of water pressure at the inlet.

Before tearning into the plumbing bay to replace the valve, I removed the water filter cartridge and.... all pressure returned throughout the coach.

It seems obvious that I have a bad filter cartridge. Is it unusual to get a new cartridge that is bad or clogged? At least I didn't have to change the valve.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had the same problem it was the because I was sold the wrong cartridge. When I took it to the dealer for some warranty work they replaced the filter with the correct one and all went back to normal.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Rick,
You mentioned you removed the filter and the pressure returned to normal. Did you replace the filter and everything is normal??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Rick,
You mentioned you removed the filter and the pressure returned to normal. Did you replace the filter and everything is normal??
Hey RJay... I did replace the filter and the restricted flow returned... so it is now removed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #5

We have a filter that filters out everything (down to 0.5 micron) and it drops our water pressure down to a dribble. I want to keep the filters we use so (on the bus conversion) we will install a float valve that will shut the water off when the tank is full. Then we will always pump out of the holding tank. It has taken us a while to find a float valve that we can use in the manner that we need to but we finally did. It was the only workaround that we have come up with and we think it will be a good one. Only problem will be filling while traveling. It would take a while to fill at a rest stop (currently takes 25 minutes to fill a 25 gal tank with the filter installed). But I've not had people standing in line waiting on me either. So it may not be a problem. We like to pull into a campground every few days. Then we would just fill overnight.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
When we experienced a restricted filter, it was traced to the campgrounds well water sediment

Fred.
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Some filter cartridges have plastic plugs in the ends. One could be stuck in the inlet or outlet. Also could it be possible that the water in the filter might be frozen? Have you tried another cartridge to see if you get the same results? The filter could plug quickly if you had a large amount of sediment flow into it but that amount sediment would probably be obvious once you ran the water without the filter. If it is none of the above, the filter could be defective.

I use only a sediment filter with a clear filter housing going into the coach so there is always chlorine in the fresh water talk and use KDF carbon filters at the sinks to remove the chlorine.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #8

Filter placement may help.

Ours does not have any filter on the inlet, it has a filter that is inline with the instant hot water and cold water on the sink so the drinking water is filtered as well as the cartridge.

Still need to add the filter for ice maker.

May build a "filling filter" that goes inline with fill hose that has moderate screen.

The idea here is to keep out the dirt and crud, no need to charcoal filter all of the water, a waste of expensive media and reduces the flow.

Having the charcoal filter only on the drinking sources makes for great tasting water and no problems with water flow.

If your filter is built in and at the fill point, then investigate the plumbing under the kitchen sink, good charcoal filters are less than $50.00 with extra cartridges and fittings and easy to install.

THe existing filter can have a different cartridge used to block sediment and not reduce the flow.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
are you sure its the filter and not your "pressure regulator" everytime i go to a campground i use my regulator.. then i come to the farm and i get a trickle... unhook the regulator and pressure is normal again...

mines old, but i'm just thinking "outside the box" sometimes it works lol
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I'm pretty sure my question has been answered. Just to summarize:

*The flow problem was definitely traced to the charcoal filter which is built in OEM equipment at the city fill for my coach. The water wasn't frozen. When I removed the cartridge the flow returned to normal in the coach. When I reinstalled it, the flow stopped.

*I don't use a flow restrictor. I have a Watts residential pressure regulator with a pressure gauge on inlet and outlet. I can see 40lbs of pressure going in to the coach.

*In addition to the main filter, I have an under sink charcoal filter which feeds the kitchen drinking water faucet, the instant hot water for sink and my ice maker.

*I have purchased a new "coarse" sediment filter (5 micron) and will install it today. I expect the flow will be fine with this one but will report back.

I think I either got a faulty cartridge or have the same situation as Lorna. I may have purchased an extra fine (.5 micron) filter by mistake and this restricted flow could be the nature of that beast.

Thanks again all.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As expected, when I installed the new (cheap) 5 micron filter water flow seemed to be uneffected and all is well.

Thanks for all of the help!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Rick,

I use a 1 micron (nominal) sediment filter prior to my 1 micron carbon block filter. Used along with my Watts regulator I have no flow restrictions unless the sediment filter starts to plug up. Of course that just means it is doing it's job. I get all my stuff from The Water Filter Store on-line.

Additionally, I have the undercounter filter for drinking and cooking water, plus I now have a refrigerator filter in my newly installed residential refrigerator which is in-line after the undercounter filter.

If nothing else the ice should be reasonably clean!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Great link Terry... thanks much!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD