Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
In years of trucking I have always re torqued wheels after being off. Sometimes they need it sometimes not. The fact that you did not have them checked would leave you at fault. They should have told you that and if they didn't they are wrong but it is their word against yours type of thing. Even if they didn't tighten them properly, if you had checked them you may have saved yourself a problem. I would recheck the torque on them again after having them fixed. Happy trails.
Agreed... I suspect your paperwork even says as much..

And Rusty is also right - the tires MUST be checked for proper torque after 100 miles or a day or 2. This is ALWAYS the case, 'good tireman' or not.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
My 19.5" require 475 ft-lbs of torque. I didn't think I'd need to tell a Les Schwab truck tire center that and trusted them to do it right. Hundreds of miles later, with it never having been convenient to have them checked, 3 out of 5 lug nuts busted loose on a steer tire. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Happened after hitting a highway to bridge transition. At 60MPH. Turned out that Les Schwab had only tightened them to 150 ft-lbs. No damage done, but could have been real exciting if I had been somewhere other then on a flat piece of freeway with four lanes and plenty of places to pull over.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Know your torques, and don't be shy about telling the tire shop boss and the guy working on your rig what they should be."
Agreed! Mine also need 450+ ftlbs... 150ftlb, as most people who 'know everything about tires' will say is correct, is, well, not always correct

Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
I am new MH owner, 1998 Overland 4141, and am having new tires put on tomorrow prior to "shakedown" cruise from San Diego area to Las Vegas. Never new so much about lug nut caution before this thread. So, surely there is a book somewhere that plots wheel material against stud material against TPI against load against recommended torque. It can't be that hard to come up with the right number. What is that reference? And then, getting it done right????? Grzly 03.
Your chassis manual will have the proper specs..
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrob1 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responed. I finally got through to the shop that did the work. The owner talked with the mechanic that did the work and the mechanic said that he didn't remember if he had torque the studs. He's no longer working with the tire service. The owner agreed to cover all expences.
Thank you for the update they are important
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
all wheels especially steel wheels installed by a knowledgeable person do not need retorgue.A Diesel pusher with 22.5 Aluminum wheels do not need retorque when installed in the correct manor and correct torque lbs and pattern

the disclaimer you see is because no one knows for sure if the wheel was installed correctly and torqued correctly at time of installation.99% of the time it is and is a insurance safe guard against shoddy work. its not really a required procedure as if its a 2 or 3 step install process
Incorrect.. ALL wheels must be rechecked. Aluminum wheels should be retorqed, then rechecked.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I installed 6 new tires on my 2002 Monaco Windsor back in April of 2010. The OEM ones were 9 and 10 years old at the time. I had Parkhouse Tire in San Fernando Valley, which works 99% of the time on trucks and does all the road service for OTR trucks, do the tire change-out and install the Dyna Beads for me. They torqued the lug nuts to 500 ft lb's. I did not have to recheck torque. After 30,000 miles later and two trips to Alaska and back there have been no problems.

I tow a 30 foot trailer which is my rolling garage. I have 8 lug aluminum wheels which are on two 6000 lb axles. When I had new tires installed and after each time I have the hubs service, they torque the lug nuts to 120 ft lbs. Every place that has done work on my wheels or hubs, they have ALWAYS recommended to recheck the torque after 100 miles. I carry a digital torque device but I have never had to re-torque any lug nut on my trailer ever.

If the people doing the service are qualified service technicians and pay attention to what they are doing, you will never have a problem. If the people are tire monkeys, then you are in for trouble.

The tires on my toad have been installed by either Sam's Club or Costco. Each time at any of their service centers, once the tire tech has completed the installation, the service manager grabs the torque wrench and checks the torque on each lug nut. That way two people have checked to make sure the torque is correct. I have never had ANY problems with those tires or wheels either.

My recommendation is to use quality service centers and observe everything they are doing while changing and installing your tires & wheels.

Your life is riding on them so make sure each one is correct before leaving.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I installed 6 new tires on my 2002 Monaco Windsor back in April of 2010. The OEM ones were 9 and 10 years old at the time. I had Parkhouse Tire in San Fernando Valley, which works 99% of the time on trucks and does all the road service for OTR trucks, do the tire change-out and install the Dyna Beads for me. They torqued the lug nuts to 500 ft lb's. I did not have to recheck torque. After 30,000 miles later and two trips to Alaska and back there have been no problems.

I tow a 30 foot trailer which is my rolling garage. I have 8 lug aluminum wheels which are on two 6000 lb axles. When I had new tires installed and after each time I have the hubs service, they torque the lug nuts to 120 ft lbs. Every place that has done work on my wheels or hubs, they have ALWAYS recommended to recheck the torque after 100 miles. I carry a digital torque device but I have never had to re-torque any lug nut on my trailer ever.

If the people doing the service are qualified service technicians and pay attention to what they are doing, you will never have a problem. If the people are tire monkeys, then you are in for trouble.

The tires on my toad have been installed by either Sam's Club or Costco. Each time at any of their service centers, once the tire tech has completed the installation, the service manager grabs the torque wrench and checks the torque on each lug nut. That way two people have checked to make sure the torque is correct. I have never had ANY problems with those tires or wheels either.

My recommendation is to use quality service centers and observe everything they are doing while changing and installing your tires & wheels.

Your life is riding on them so make sure each one is correct before leaving.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
And..

I have had 2 men double check the torque, along with me checking before signing off on the work, only to have to retorque 5 miles down the road.

It always pays to check.. even if you never have to actually retighten.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Agreed... I suspect your paperwork even says as much..

And Rusty is also right - the tires MUST be checked for proper torque after 100 miles or a day or 2. This is ALWAYS the case, 'good tireman' or not.
there is no "MUST" its a simple disclaimer is all.A good wheel and tire guy will never have to have his work rechecked.besides all the BS not many diesel pusher 22.5 wheel owners carry a set of retorque tools at any time
I have never in all my years ever had to retorque wheels after installation
Never.I realize that there are some dummys that somehow get to install wheels on vehicles and things can happen and such is so one should do what u feel best. to each their own
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well, there never is a 'must' is there? You are free to do whatever you wish.. Its you're life. Except when you're messing with mine..
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Well, there never is a 'must' is there? You are free to do whatever you wish.. Its you're life. Except when you're messing with mine..
way too much "DRAMA" for me
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #53
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whoa Nelly! What an education this thread has been! If I needed new tires I would probably ask this forum for recommendations, then shop around for the best price. Until now I would have just trusted the tire shop to know how to install the tires.

With 2 year old tires with 16,000 miles on them I'm hoping it's afew years before I need to deal with this issue, but I thank you all for giving me an important lesson.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote