Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

Bad work almost killed us

This was my first trip, so as a precaution I had new tires put on my RV.On the trip from Greenville
SC to Orlando Fla. I notice the ride was bumpy in the back but I thought it was the road.We stayed four day and started back.
About two hour later I stopped at a a rest area for to let the kids take a break.While walking around I noticed my right rear wheelcap
was missing. After taking a closer look I noticed that 5 of my 8 lugs were broking and the other 3 were loose.I called the Good Sam roadside service,
In about two hours later I was back on the road. Could anyone tell if its anything legally that I can do about the work that was done on my unit?
mrrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! I bet your heart skipped a beat or two when you saw that.

Did you call the shop that installed the tires? Can you tell us who did the work?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

I bougt the RV from a dealer in Greer SC, he had the tires put on. His name is Jay at Upstate RVs on Wade Hampton.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect small claims court would make them cover any costs but I'd first contact the people who did the work.

I'm sure they would want to know about this to prevent further problems.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrob1 View Post
This was my first trip, so as a precaution I had new tires put on my RV.On the trip from Greenville
SC to Orlando Fla. I notice the ride was bumpy in the back but I thought it was the road.We stayed four day and started back.
About two hour later I stopped at a a rest area for to let the kids take a break.While walking around I noticed my right rear wheelcap
was missing. After taking a closer look I noticed that 5 of my 8 lugs were broking and the other 3 were loose.I called the Good Sam roadside service,
In about two hours later I was back on the road. Could anyone tell if its anything legally that I can do about the work that was done on my unit?
wow u called ERS and they came,removed the dual wheels and replaced 8 studs etc and all in less than 2 hours.I would be phoning the company u made the purchase from before I asked anyone for an opinion
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

I've called him,but I haven't got a reply from them.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
The standard recommendation from wheel manufacturers, tire retailers, etc. reads something like the following:

Quote:
NOTE: Recheck the lug torque within the first 100 miles or 2-3 days following installation.
While I recognize how difficult this would be to do on a Class A with 22.5" wheels and tires, the principle is the same, especially if you happen to have aluminum wheels. Lug nut torque can take 2-3 retorques to settle in after the wheels have been disturbed, as was the case when you had your tires replaced.

Did the RV dealer advise you to periodically recheck the lug nut torques when you picked up the RV?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The standard recommendation from wheel manufacturers, tire retailers, etc. reads something like the following:

While I recognize how difficult this would be to do on a Class A with 22.5" wheels and tires, the principle is the same, especially if you happen to have aluminum wheels. Lug nut torque can take 2-3 retorques to settle in after the wheels have been disturbed, as was the case when you had your tires replaced.

Did the RV dealer advise you to periodically recheck the lug nut torques when you picked up the RV?

Rusty
the OP never indicated he had a diesel pusher with 22.5 aluminum wheels and judging by the short time it took ers to arrive and replace all the studs it sounds more like small A with small steel wheels wheels.Also to note when alunminum wheels are removed and reinstalled by a good tire man it does NOT take 2-3 wheel retorques to quote;"settle in" they are either right or wrong from the getgo
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Now could this be becuase when they replaced the tires they over tighten it? If it is broken I would assume it's due to overtighten.

However even though I agree with a shop doing great jobs. I am unsure if you could put blame on them. If you didn't check the lugs it could of had the tire bounce around enough to break the studs off. Also you may of had a RV flaw.

Maybe ask the RV dealer to see if you had any kid of warranty. It's going to be hard to prove if it's a RV flaw, maintence oversight, or a tire company not doing their job.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
the OP never indicated he had a diesel pusher with 22.5 aluminum wheels and judging by the short time it took ers to arrive and replace all the studs it sounds more like small A with small steel wheels wheels.
I never said that he did. The 22.5" aluminum wheel scenario was a worst case hypothetical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Also to note when alunminum wheels are removed and reinstalled by a good tire man it does NOT take 2-3 wheel retorques to quote;"settle in" they are either right or wrong from the getgo
With all respect, other knowledgeable sources would disagree with you on that. You might want to try a Google search on retorquing lug nuts to see what others recommend.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

4 ways for this situation to occour
1) old fatieged wheel studs that have been over tighten in the past
2) over torqued at time of installation
3) undertightned and worked loose
the third one however usually ruins the rim also and does not sound like the hweel was repalced
4)outter and inner rims incorrectly mated(alined)
again usually ruins the rim also
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I never said that he did. The 22.5" aluminum wheel scenario was a worst case hypothetical.

With all respect, other knowledgeable sources would disagree with you on that. You might want to try a Google search on retorquing lug nuts to see what others recommend.

Rusty
i know what other,s say I just said that if a real good wheel/tire pro does the install its good to go
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

Did you have your tires replaced at a "large truck" establishment? I had that done on my first MH and heard the same strange rumble as you. Before I could pull over to check, the driver side rear duals came off . Strangely enough it was almost a non-event. One wheel passed me and the other was fliping end over end in the other lane. I just pulled over onto the shoulder without braking and told my DW to keep track of the rolling tire as it headed into a cornfield.

The tires didn't cause any damage and I pulled the floating rear axle and popped in 8 new lug bolts and was on our way in about an hour. When I talked to the tire dealer he said that "we always torque them the same" but when I told him my tires needed 85 footpounds of torque he denied everything. Since I was lucky and no trafic was in the other lane I didn't pursue it but in my mind I thought that my bolts had been torqued to semi truck specs of 350 footpounds.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I'm trying to understand how you got from Greenville SC to Orlando without ever walking around the MH? I make a habit of a simple walk around usually every stop to thump a tire and have a look over everything. It also is good for stretching the legs, but maybe because I also do that in the work truck.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote