Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Balance bead experts, got a question for ya.

Gents,
I'm not a big fan of balancing beads. I had a bad experience with them a while back. A tire shop talked me into them for our 19.5" tires I was having installed at the time so, I said "go a head, let's try it". Well, a month or so went by and, I was having shaki-ness all throughout my speed range. So, I took the coach back to them. The gent in charge pulled one of my front wheels off and dismounted the tire. The "BAG" of beads, NEVER BROKE OPEN. So, the tire(s) could never balance.

I told them, "get all those trash bags out of all six tires and balance them normally. I never had a problem after that.

Now, skip forward a decade or two. A buddy just today, had 6 new Michelin XRV 255s mounted on his wheels. He called me about using beads. I told him I'm not a fan but, he'd have to make up his own mind. He went with the beads. Now, I know how a single wheel/tire combination might use the beads to find the correct spot to counter balance the heavy spot on the tire. Well, I can guess how it works but, really not sure.

But, the question I have is, "How do dual tires and wheels balance"? That is, if you place a bag in each tire/wheel combo and, because you have no way of telling where the heavy spots are on each tire/wheel combo, and mount those two wheel/tire combo units on the same hub, then how in the world does each bags (supposedly when the bag breaks up) beads, find the places they need to be in, in order to balance each tire and wheel, when their both on the same hub?

Now, please don't tell me to "Not balance the rear wheels" on a coach, that's not an answer. Out of balance tires and wheels, are OUT OF BALANCE, no matter what axle their on. But, a very large percentage of guys do not balance the rears, I DO!

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Hey Scott, long time since we chatted.
I put new Michelins on the coach 2 years ago. They talked me into balancing beads. I too am a fan of spin balancing.

Happy to report no problems to date. I do know they used to use a balancing powder which was pretty much crap. Now they use the beads. They don't necessarily come in bags these days, as they can measure them from a bulk container based on tire size.
Honestly I don't know if they put the beads in in a bag or not on my coach..

To your question of balancing the duals, I say yes. Vibrations do come thru the drive train, and you will feel them.

I still think digital spin balancing is the way to go, but so far 2 years later I am happy with the beads.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

The resident tire expert (Hobodandee) on TRVN calls balance beads something akin to "snake oil". He spent a lifetime in the tire business and probably has forgotten more about tires than most people know.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #4

The balance powder is put into the tire with the bag. The beads should not be put into the tire inside a bag and the beads I use specifically state not to do that or you will have issues. Sounds to me like the installer goofed.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

But, the question I have is, "How do dual tires and wheels balance"? That is, if you place a bag in each tire/wheel combo and, because you have no way of telling where the heavy spots are on each tire/wheel combo, and mount those two wheel/tire combo units on the same hub, then how in the world does each bags (supposedly when the bag breaks up) beads, find the places they need to be in, in order to balance each tire and wheel, when their both on the same hub?

Scott
Good question. I hope you get a good answer.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

Check out Centramatics
sadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have used ONLY one brand of ceramic balancing beads supplied by Innovative Balancing from Rochester NY. I do not trust any other brand or tire shop that sells their own.

The RV size ceramic beads are larger at 2mm so they will not clog up the valve stem. All the other shops use small beads which require special stem valves.

The beads are installed while in a plastic bag and if you follow THEIR Installation Instructions you will never have any problems. Scroll down the page until you see EZ Open Bag. The clip holding the bag closed is removed FIRST then the bag is slipped through the open bead of the tire before the last bead has been seated onto the wheel.

What IS important is not to get the inside of the wheel wet when installing the tire. Use of any bead lubricant needs to be monitored closely.

All six tires of my coach have beads in them. My four trailer tires have beads in them too.

Not one balancing problem in the last 7 years since the beads were installed.

Love them!

If you view the PHOTOS of how the beads work in the tires you will quickly understand how they can be used in any tire.

To answer your question, since dual tires are mated together on the same side of the axle the beads will distribute based on the combination of the two tires not each one individually.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Scott

I'm not a expert but:

I had 4 Toyo, 154 installed on my 02 Journey rear about 750 miles ago. 1st go with beads. After checking with Dyno Beads, as per their instructions I opened the bag 1st before pouring the beads into the tire before airing up.

After the 750 miles I'm happy to report the coach ran smooth with no vibration.

The fronts have spin balance weights installed 30,000 miles back. I would not hesitate to use beads when new fronts are needed.

Hope this helps
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had beads with two previous coaches and just put tires with beads on the current coach. No problems.

As for the duals, they act as one tire from a bead balancing perspective.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

I use Dyna Beads in my RV tires and in the large mud grips on my hunting vehicle.

Been doing so for years.

They work!

Anybody calling them snake oil must have investments in a balancing machine or lead and zinc mines :-)
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post

The resident tire expert (Hobodandee) on TRVN calls balance beads something akin to "snake oil". He spent a lifetime in the tire business and probably has forgotten more about tires than most people know.

You've got to be kidding! Snake Oil.....I would recommend that he start taking Ginkgo Biloba.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

I had never heard of balancing beads until I had my new Michelin XZA3+ tires installed and the tire shop manager reccomended Counteract Beads. If I recall they were about $12/wheel.
In the first few miles the coach had a pretty good shake going on which the guy had warned me about. Then it began to smooth out and has been smoooth as a baby's bottom for the past 15K. No complaints what so ever.

Counteract Balancing Beads | The only tire balancing product proven to improve fuel economy.

Oh, and BTW, my fuel mileage improved by 10MPG. Well, maybe it was .00001 MPG.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

You've got to be kidding! Snake Oil.....I would recommend that he start taking Ginkgo Biloba.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
And your expertise in the tire business is - what - exactly?

I'll take advice from the guy who spent an entire lifetime in that business and save my money.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we put new Goodyear G670's on a 2002 Journey in 2005 the dealer used Equal balancing powder. I had no issues with those tires (ran smooth) until the steer tires started to river. I replaced those tires 6 years later with Hankook AH-12's and the TCI dealer also suggested Equal. Those tires were smooth as silk.

When we bought our current coach the dealer used some beads (don't remember the name) on new Michelin XZA2 tires. I had vibrations and bounce from the get go. I eventually had the beads removed, had all the tires spin balanced and put Centramatic balancers on the steer axle. All is well.