Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
I thought balancing was the way to go. Always have done it with any other tire I have purchased. Just hadn't heard before balancing the rears was not necessary. I needed to hear your opinions.

Tuesday, the Damon will have new rear Michellins that are balanced. The front end will be rebalanced and aligned.

I needed to hear your opinions.

Thanks, Everyone, safe travels........
bleederguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #16

Anytime the tires come off, I would get them balanced...worse case they are spun and are perfectly balanced and need no weights. But I have never seen that occur. And this is with me watching the balancer...not a technician thinking "If I don't put any weight on, they will think we didn't really do it..."

It's not expensive when the wheels are already off the rig.

Thinking about the balancing beads...should have done that when I had the new tires put on recently.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Wow, sounds too good to be true.
Yeh, and I get 30 MPG now. Just kidding, but they do keep the coach running smoothly down the road.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They don't need to be balanced IF; you have Centramatic Wheel Balancers( Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic or balance beads installed.
By the way the Centramatic Wheel Balancers are worth the money. They also help correct for suspension issues.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had tires installed. All six were to be balanced. But only the fronts were balanced. Rode, unbeknownst, for several months and a couple thousand miles this way. Coach was ok. Then found out and had the rears balanced. It made a noticable improvement in the ride.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

I dont think rear tires have to be balanced because you wouldnt feel an imbalance.

Im no expert but a guy who sells and mounts tires most likely is one.

I would probably balance them if not too expensive.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
They don't need to be balanced IF; you have Centramatic Wheel Balancers( Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic or balance beads installed.
By the way the Centramatic Wheel Balancers are worth the money. They also help correct for suspension issues.
the reason is that that is called balancing. There are many ways to balance but they need to be banlanced.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #22

Common sense. Balance all tires. Less vibration and longer tire mileage.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Centramatics are the way t go. It's a large ring that goes between the duals and will keep the entire assembly balanced, rims, tires and hubs. Some may not feel an unbalanced tire in the rear, but many of us can. You will also see PERFECT wear with the Centramatics.

Florida Shores Truck Store has the best price on Centramatics and quick shipping. About $185.00. They will last a lifetime on your vehicle and rebalance EVERYTIME you drive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 AM   #24

Rear tires I just bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Centramatics are the way t go. It's a large ring that goes between the duals and will keep the entire assembly balanced, rims, tires and hubs. Some may not feel an unbalanced tire in the rear, but many of us can. You will also see PERFECT wear with the Centramatics.

Florida Shores Truck Store has the best price on Centramatics and quick shipping. About $185.00. They will last a lifetime on your vehicle and rebalance EVERYTIME you drive.
X2.

I just bought and had installed here locally about 60 miles away, 4 new tires on my rear dually's, 4 - Toyo M122's, 255/70R 22.5 (H rated tires), new s/s solid extended valve stems for my TPMS, road force balanced, 2 Centramatic balancing rings and also had front tires/rims dismounted, road force balanced, 2 Centramatic balancing rings installed there too along with new gaskets/"O" rings on those s/s valve stems and lastly bought a total of 12 (3 for each rim) tapered self-centering lug nuts and all 4 tires had the same DOT date that were 12 weeks old. Went for a 40 mile drive (one way) had the coach weighed, came back and —by hand they re-torqued—to 450ft.lbs. all the lug nuts.
For a total of $1,850.00.

Took me a while to find a shop that would do the road force balance and all the other stuff I wanted and get done, but finally did. Get er done!

The folks @ Centramatics recommended this tire shop in Willis, TX to me.
Southern Tire Mart | Tires, Truck Repair, Wheels | Over 70 Locations
Speak with John Malroy @ the tire shop - I believe he is the manager and very knowledgeable & helpful.

For me (IMHO) it's not just a matter of "riding smoother" or "feeling better" it's a matter of keeping the rig as healthy as possible. With this much weight, if you have tires and wheels that are not match balanced, not balanced or improperly balanced, followed up with not centering correctly when mounting to the hubs and lugs are installed, it can create vibration (whether you feel it or not) that translates throughout the entire suspension system which can wear other parts prematurely.

Since everything is "riding on my tires", and I'm going to spend a couple of grand for tires, why wouldn't I take the other necessary steps to insure, good tire wear and minimize other possible suspension issues by spending a few more bucks?

But then again I've never been accused of taking the cheap route on anything I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of beads or powders. My 2 cents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 AM   #25

As a long haul trucker, with my own truck, balance them. Either manually or with Balance Masters or Centramatics. No experience with the beads. Small cost compared to new tires. I can tell the difference.

Do you HAVE to? No. Should you? I believe so.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 AM   #26

You have to balance the tires. if not then the corner weights may be off and your rig will go down the road crooked. Please, balance your tires so the world will not end. I am enjoying life too much for the world to end.

LOL. Sry, I could not help myself.
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
When we first bought out rig the front tires had a noticeable wear pattern and vibration.

I decided to have new tires installed and alignment done. I had the new tires balanced, they are mounted on the aluminum rims. The shop that did the work did not use a standard balancing weight that clips on the rim, instead they used adhesive type.

Well after a couple months, when returning from a trip, I parked in the street in front of the house. I happen to see something laying next the rig, it was the strip of weights from one of the tires. Looked at the other side and that strip was gone also.

That being said, I never noticed a difference in the ride, tires have +50K miles on them and still looks like new.

When we installed tires on the rear I went with the balancing beads.

Question, when balancing tires on the aluminum rims what do they use for weights.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #28

Stick on weights.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires