Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
For those on this thread that "Spin Balance" their tires, what do you do after let's say 5 or 10,000 miles, spin balance them again? Surely, a tire doesn't stay balanced as it wears, does it?

The Dyna Beads, Tire Balancing Products, that I have in all six new tires will balance the tire each and every time the coach comes up to about 25-35 mph no matter where the beads are needed.

I have driven over 9000 miles to Alaska and back with the new tires and beads, never one problem, shaking, thumping, bouncing, whatever, nothing.

I wouldn't have anything else besides Dyna Beads. Not sure what Magnum Beads are, whether they are a copy or what, but if you want excellent beads, go with the best proven balancing bead available today, Dyna Beads.

The Equal Powder, well that's another story, stick to using it in your coffee, it doesn't belong inside a tire no matter what size it is.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #16

I have Dynabeads and was skeptical about how they work but had them installed and never looked back. Very smooth ride.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Dr4film - according to several commercial tire places the spin balance is good for the life of the tire on a MH and a truck providing there are no problems such as worn parts, bad alignment or bad shocks. On tires the size of what are used on MHs and trucks a few ozs here and there do not change the balance. Car tires are more sensitive to balance because they are so much smaller and weigh so much less. The ratio between wheel/tire weight and balance weights is so much different between cars and MHs. That large MH tire and wheel is a lot of rotating mass which takes a lot of change in weight to throw the balance off. On my previous MH I put 50,000 miles on my tires without rebalancing them and had no vibrations or unuasual wear patterns.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well folks $1551.90 and the deal is done. 6 Hankooks and Magnum Plus Beads. Only drove 15 miles so nothing to report vs the Goodyear G670's I replaced. Ride does feel a little firmer and I'd guess the bag of beads have broken up. I have a 500 mile round trip at month end that should give me a better feel. BTW Hankook advise I keep the pressure at Winnebago recommendation of 70 PSI. Thanks for all the input and hope this will help others.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Centramatic wheel balancers. Centramatic wheel balancers balance not only the tire and rim but the whole wheel assembly. I am very happy with them on my rig. You might want to check it out before you make a final decision. It is a lifetime situation. (www.centramatic.com)
Good luck..... Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just came back from 550 mile round trip and tires tracked true without any vibrations. They was some stiff cross winds on the way back and everything was firm. The Hankooks just feel like they grip better that the G670's which I had no issues with but can notice an improved difference.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #21
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The beads do the dame thing as the Centramatic.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #22

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We just did the beads on all 6 new tires... love them... very smooth!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Put me in the Equal balance club with over 22,000 trouble free miles.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Becker. Another vote for Centramatic wheel balancers. Work great.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #25

For you Centramatic fans, did anyone install these without making any other changes? I'm curious if they really work. Having them installed with new tires or alignment changes really doesn't, in my opinion, point to the Centramatic discs as being the true source of improvement.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Gil:
Did the install myself when I rotated the front tires and checked the preload of the front wheel bearings. Took off the old lead weights. This thing runs better down the road than it ever has. A lot of over the road truckers use Centramatic. Couldn't be happier.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #27

One thing that the spin balance points out that the beads will not ------ on my last set of tires, the truck service center mounted the tires and then started to spin balance them. On two of the tires, they were out of "spec" as far as allowable out of balance. The shop broke down the tires and rotated them on the wheels --- very surprised at the results, the mounted tire was then "in spec" and was balanced with the wheel weights. By using the beads, the tire center pointed out that until the tire got up to speed, it would have been "way out of balance" and would have caused both unusual tire wear as well as wear on the wheel components (suspension, etc). Unless I had the tires spin balanced, this problem would have never been noticed. I have 22.5 inch tires.
David K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
David,

I believe what the shop actually did was most likely offset either a really bad tire problem and or wheel problem. When you get tires out of spec, they should be returned to the manufacturer and not mounted on your coach. Same goes for any wheel.

I recently changed out regular steel wheels/hubcaps on my double axle trailer for Eagle Alloy wheels. The same tires were put back on in the same locations. Before mounting the tire on to the alloy wheel, I had them drop a package of Dyna Beads in each tire. My neighbor, who helped me take the trailer to the tire shop for the wheel exchange, and I immediately noticed a difference in the smoothness of how the trailer was towing versus prior to having the wheels switched out. I don't believe there was a BIG difference between using the steel wheels and the alloy wheels. I feel the difference was attributed to the Dyna Beads.

Below is some information taken from the Innovative Balancing web site regarding poorly manufactured tires.

There are three terms commonly used to describe lateral (back and forth) movement of the steering wheel, wobble, shimmy and shake. Two of these are a result of lateral imbalance of the tire/wheel assembly.
  • Wobble - Wobble can be caused from severly imbalanced tires (lateral or axial), but can also be a result of bent or damaged rims.
  • Mechanical Imbalance - This is lateral movement caused from tire or wheel non-uniformity or improper bead seating. Corrected by measuring the amount of tire and wheel run-out and replacing the defective component.
  • Weight-related Imbalance - This is lateral movement at normal driving speeds commonly characterized as "shimmy" or "shake" resulting from unequal weight on both sides of the tire and wheel circumferential center-line. The wider the tire, the lower the aspect ratio, the more likely this is to occur.

How can I tell if my tire has a lateral imbalance problem before installing the beads?

If you have weights installed now:

The most obvious indicator is a large amount of weight (comparatively) on one side of the tire, and a smaller amount of weight on the opposite side.

If you are purchasing new tires:

Have the tires spun on a balance machine. If the machine is telling you that you need a lot of weight on one side and little weight on the other, then the tire has a lateral imbalance.

I recommend to anyone who is interested in the Dyna Beads to read all the information that is written on their web site before jumping into the purchase. There are some situations where the Dyna Beads will not work on tires and wheels. One in particular is using the beads on trailer axles that do not have any suspensions. Another is using Dyna Beads solely on car and SUV tires. They recommend using both weights and Dyna Beads. See below:

Why don't you have tire charts for cars, SUV's or minivans?

We don't market to cars, SUV's or minivans due to the overall style of those tires, which are low and wide. This style of tire commonly exhibits varying degrees of lateral imbalance due primarily to the width. This type of imbalance can only be corrected with carefully placed wheel weights. So that means that while Dyna Beads should not be used as the sole balancing method for these tire types, they can be used as a supplemental method.

Using a combination of weights and Dyna Beads results in higher tire mileage and a reduction, or elimination, of future re-balancing requirements. For the proper amount, click here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote