Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

Bangs over bad roads

03 endeavor rides super smooth until I hit rough roads. 40ft. Diesel pusher with road master chassis.11000. Miles. Are the shocks bad? Air bags look good . Any suggestions
Freddyalmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyalmost View Post
03 endeavor rides super smooth until I hit rough roads. 40ft. Diesel pusher with road master chassis.11000. Miles. Are the shocks bad? Air bags look good . Any suggestions
Shocks almost certainly. If they have the original Monroes, they will definitely be shot. Monroes are normally all yellow housing.
I replaced mine with Bilsteins (just the front - planning to do the rears next year). Looked at Konis but couldn't justify the (double) cost over Bilsteins.
New shocks made a HUGE difference to the ride.
Also need to check ride height and tire pressures but shocks are likely the #1 culprit.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

Freddy, I am almost positive that your MH came with Monroes which are yellow on both the upper and lower have. You are at the miles where they start going bad. I agree with Chawkins99 that it is time to change them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem when we bought the MH last year! I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and it made a huge difference. I still feel the bad roads but not NEARLY as much as before.

I would have bought the Koni's but just too much difference in price!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Freddyalmost,
Before spending any $s, make sure the correct PSI is in the tires. The PSI must be matched to the weight being carried. I got rid of my Bilsteins for Koni shocks. The Bilsteins gave me the same ride you are now complaining about. Koni's made the ride much smoother.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Have konis well worth the price
ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

See post 27 in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/shock...-144759-2.html
It links to an article comparing shocks.
Conclusion seems to be Konis are good but not worth the premium.
A few years ago, they were clearly superior but Bilstein developed the comfitrac shocks which closed the performance gap.
I have Bilsteins but have never tried Konis so can only go off other articles.
I can say that the Bilsteins IMO were by far the biggest bang for the buck I have spent so far on my coach.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
HHg

Big bangs over very really bad roads happen......I don't care what you drive and what you have....they happen!! My advice, stay off really bad roads.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Freddyalmost,
Before spending any $s, make sure the correct PSI is in the tires. The PSI must be matched to the weight being carried. I got rid of my Bilsteins for Koni shocks. The Bilsteins gave me the same ride you are now complaining about. Koni's made the ride much smoother.
X2 I gave a brand new set of Bilsteins away and put on Konis. Ride much improved. Bilstein's may be cheap, but why buy junk?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

My friend's mechanic told him that Koni's were not worth the extra bucks. I have Bilstein's and they work fine. All coaches are going to "bang" if you hit the right bumps.

If you look long enough, you will get the answer you want.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My friend's mechanic told him that Koni's were not worth the extra bucks. I have Bilstein's and they work fine. All coaches are going to "bang" if you hit the right bumps.

If you look long enough, you will get the answer you want.
But now it takes a bigger bump to get the same bang I used to get with a smaller bump. Now I get less bang for my bucks! And my sun visors never fall down anymore. Konies are the best bang for you buck, or maybe less bang for your buck. RV Mutant #17
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
YC1

At 16000 miles I just changed mine. They too are monroes but not yellow. They were covered by undercoating and I didn't know the brand until removed. I just changed them yesterday so don't have any road time on them yet. The old ones were obviously bad. I found Bilsteins built and tested for my model. I can tell just walking around inside that things are more solid. I installed sway bars last year and didn't want to spend the money on shocks too. Probably should have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shock absorbers from Bilstein.pdf (312.3 KB, 92 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

lets put a new thought into the mix here folks

Just almost any new shock will be superior to on old worn out shock. Even a new Monroe will be better than a worn out Monroe. So praising the new "brand A" over the replaced shock, or "brand B" over the replaced shock is a null point.

So for anyone to say "brand A" is better than "brand B" is going to be a lie UNLESS
that person bought "brand A", installed, road tested, removed, bought and installed "brand B" and then road tested. This would give a true comparison and the ability to give a good opinion.

Many times folks think, if it cost more it has to be better...while in some instances this can be true..in other instances this can be false.

Some folks tend to think just because they own it, it is the best. Which for them it may be, but for someone else it may not be.

Many folks have a different opinion of what a "proper" ride should be....some like a firm ride which tends to yield better handling. Some like a mushy, riding on the clouds type ride which tends to yield worse handling. So what is a proper ride is a relevant opinion based on the owners liking.

"Bang" can come from many things and very well could just be a "trait" of the vehicle. Mine bangs on rough pavement. I know it always will no matter what brand shocks I have on it. Most of the "bang" I hear in mine comes from the heavy ply tires. The RV tires can not absorb as much road shock as a auto tire.

BTW, I have Bilsteins on frt and rear. They suite me fine, but may not suite others liking.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
lets put a new thought into the mix here folks

Just almost any new shock will be superior to on old worn out shock. Even a new Monroe will be better than a worn out Monroe. So praising the new "brand A" over the replaced shock, or "brand B" over the replaced shock is a null point.

So for anyone to say "brand A" is better than "brand B" is going to be a lie UNLESS
that person bought "brand A", installed, road tested, removed, bought and installed "brand B" and then road tested. This would give a true comparison and the ability to give a good opinion.

Many times folks think, if it cost more it has to be better...while in some instances this can be true..in other instances this can be false.

Some folks tend to think just because they own it, it is the best. Which for them it may be, but for someone else it may not be.

Many folks have a different opinion of what a "proper" ride should be....some like a firm ride which tends to yield better handling. Some like a mushy, riding on the clouds type ride which tends to yield worse handling. So what is a proper ride is a relevant opinion based on the owners liking.

"Bang" can come from many things and very well could just be a "trait" of the vehicle. Mine bangs on rough pavement. I know it always will no matter what brand shocks I have on it. Most of the "bang" I hear in mine comes from the heavy ply tires. The RV tires can not absorb as much road shock as a auto tire.

BTW, I have Bilsteins on frt and rear. They suite me fine, but may not suite others liking.
I did test the new Bilsteins on a new coach. Took them off at 700 miles. They rode rough as hell for the whole 700 miles. Then put on a set of Konies and it was like night and day. My banging has all but stopped. The Bilsteins weigh about 5 pounds each. Pick up a Koni. About 12 pounds. It's not your tires, its the cheap Bilstein shocks. The only reason they put them on new rigs is because they are cheap.