Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Banks HP improvement?????

We have a 2008 40 ft Fleetwood with Cunnins 350 and tow a Jeep wrangler Unlimited. Can anyone really say that they have experienced a major increase in HP & torque with added Banks equipment. Is it worth my time and money?
rg1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I recently installed the Banks on our Scenic Cruiser with the 350 Cummins and all I can say is that I wish I had done it long ago. The difference is understated by Banks and I am really happy with the higher torque and horsepower. I tow a heavy 4X4 and the coach pulls it with no problem now. I highly recommend the Banks system for your coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #3

Can only speak to my previous gasser 460 motor in a 36' Bounder. First time I bought it home up our steep mountain road, I didn't think I was going to get it home; 1st gear and 3500-4000rpm. I did the complete Banks install with TransCommand and the difference was night and day. I found that it would go up most grades one gear higher. The advertised HP/Torque increase was there, but don't expect fuel mileage improvements. I always said I was just using all that new power. While it was definitely was a plus for me, I don't know how well it works in a diesel.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #4

Another option is the Power Play MP-8 from TS Performance. Compare the specs on what each will do and the MP-8 is a lot more bang for the buck.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO the Banks system performance improvement is dependent on what kind of engine one talks about. There would appear to be some significant improvement on most diesel applications. With that being said, the success with gas engines seems to vary greatly. I notice a lot of positive response from folks with older engines that were probably not near their potential in their factory form. My experience with a 2001 V-10 was one of negligible improvement at best. The one part of the full system that I felt did a great job, was the transcomand. For the cost, I would never do the entire system again.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Banks

IMHO,

The Banks system is designed for the specific engine it is installed on making it, I believe, one of the best engine performance improvements you can do.

I had a 1998 Dolphin with the Ford 460 V-8 and had the full Banks system installed. Terrific improvement in HP and torque! Climbed hills much easier, ran cooler but did not improve mileage. Because of the performance improvement, I think I benefited and it was worth the investment. My buddy added it to his Workhorse chassis and was quite impressed with his performance improvement as well.

I do not have personal experience with adding the Banks to a diesel RV, but have heard from friends that performance is greatly enhanced.

Bottom line is, it is your money and you have to decide if the investment for better performance is worth it.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1947 View Post
We have a 2008 40 ft Fleetwood with Cunnins 350 and tow a Jeep wrangler Unlimited. Can anyone really say that they have experienced a major increase in HP & torque with added Banks equipment. Is it worth my time and money?
Here's what Banks shows and, having installed the Power Pack on our ISC 350 I believe it!!
Hills that used to require full throttle to crest at 50 (starting at 60-65) I now crest at 60-65 on cruise, with throttle left.

Here's the dyno chart from Banks:

In stock form I had 1050 ft lbs at 1400 rpm, now I never get below that until 2100 rpm. According to the figures published by Cummins the ISC 350/Banks has more torque and HP at most rpms than the 400 ISL and I think also the 425 ISL. Someplace I have those figures too and I should plot them out.
If you want HP/torque than so it, if you want much better fuel mileage you won't see it, but you won't lose either unless you use the extra power all the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #8

How much IS the full sytem w/install?

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Thx to all of you for the imformation. Rick & Karen. 40 ft Fleetwood Excursion.
rg1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

10 years ago, I was asking the same kind of questions after the first trip uphill.

Once I realized that the additional torque and power returned me no money on my investment, I scrapped the idea.

We still lumber up the mountain grades in the west at 35 mph and get to where we want to go.

Our lbs per horsepower are 120. Our lbs per maximum torque are 41.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

Dean,

Something you said had me laughing my head off. How much money return do you get from the purchase of your RV (-: Tell me your secret. Mine is a money pit (-:

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Jim

Yes, it is a money pit. The most money is spent in depreciation so when things are working I try not to drop more money into the pit.

Unconventional but works for me. I even avoid paying someone else to do the simple repairs.....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
How much IS the full sytem w/install?
No idea, I did my own install. Think I paid about $3,000 for the kit but they have sales where you might get it cheaper.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #14

Camping World in Mesa, AZ did mine. It was around $2500.00 installed. Banks had a coupon for $500 off and the salesman took a little off the labor also. I dropped it off in the morning and picked up after lunch. Their installer has been doing it for over 16 years he said. They showed me everything before and after the installation.

Im really happy with it!

CoryP