Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Banks or 5 star programmer for a gas engine

I am looking to purchase a programmer for my 2014 forestriver 35'. I am try to decide if the 5 star is worth the extra cost.

Thanks in advance

Matt
fr27davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

We had a 2005 Landau with the Ford 310 horse power. We traveled from Fl to Ms. Before the 5star tune the rv would downshift and the rpm would go up to 5500 rpm on the hills. After we installed the 5star tune the rpm would drop to 3500 on the same
Hills and the transmission would not downshift. On subsequent trips we went from 8. 1 mpg to 8.6 mpg. The shifting was smoother and would hold longer before the transmission would down shift.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Before buying the programmer you might want to call Ford and ask them how the aftermarket re-tuning will impact your factory warranty.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr27davis View Post
I am looking to purchase a programmer for my 2014 forestriver 35'. I am try to decide if the 5 star is worth the extra cost.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Matt,

I think you will be shocked at how much your 2014 will improve with our tune. We can stop the factory downshifts/gear hunting/over revving which will save you quite a bit of wear and tear on your transmission. You will see a much improved rig in every way that it drives on flat ground as well as in the mountains. If you give it a try and decide you do not like it, send it back our way.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I heard of nothing but good things from ur products, just seeing if anyone had anything to say about the banks
fr27davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
banks

I used the Banks system in an 07 gulfstream 40 footer, chevy 8.1. I had issue getting other programmers to finish programming running into compatibility issue. I had no problems with the Banks system and did pick up 1.5 miles to the gallon. The tech support was fairly helpful during the uploading procedure. I did put in K&N air filter also. I noticed the horsepower increase which translates to fuel mileage if you can keep your foot out of it. Banks has been doing this for a good while and trusted by many in the diesel industry . They also will support upgrades in the future.

My penny and a half worth.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I plan on doing this to mine this year. Been reading what I can about them on here and it seems like the 5 Star is the way to go. That goes for the product and customer service.
I can't wait to try it. and no I am not a paid spokesman or whatever I am suppose to say if I happen to like something

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

I have installed Banks systems at several dealerships I have worked at however we stopped selling them 3 years ago and have been sending our customers to 5 Star. That is not to say Banks is a bad system but that Mike and the guys will listen to you and dial you in for your driving needs.
With tuning often everything is a trade off want max power you will lose driveability and economy. Want max economy you give up power and driveability. Want the best driveability for you then likely you won't get max power or economy.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #9

I bought the 5 star programmer.
Before I waste a bunch of time, can anybody tell me where the OBDII plug is on a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA??

Milton
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

The 5 start tune is a good upgrade. I noticed a big difference while driving mountain passes. The shifting is much smoother. No more downshifting jumping from 2500 rpm to 5000. I noticed I was able to maintain higher speeds going over the mountain passes. I also noticed a difference while driving in town as the pickup is much better from traffic lights as the shifting is much smoother. I can't speak about the gas mileage, a waste of time checking IMO, it is what it is.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #11

One thing to think about... Your rig is newer than most of the posts here. You have a 5 or 6 speed transmission. Your shifting 'problem' is much less than the rest.

Milton: It has to be under the steering column and accessible without tools. There may be a cover on it, but has to 'flip' off.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #12

What is involved with ordering and installing a 5 Star system for my F53 motorhome? I am taking a trip to Arizona/Utah/New Mexico in September and I want this installed before taking it.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Best way to order is call 5 Star directly. If you don't reach them just leave a message and they will call you back. Only information needed is the numbers off of the computer module. Their website can help you find the computer module or ask when you call. As for installation, just plug the tuner into the OBD port, backup the stock tune then load the new tune. Step by step instructions are included. It takes about 15 minutes.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #14

Thanks for the information. Got the tune loaded and will take it for a spin next week.

Milton
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas