Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Banks Power

I am new to Class A MHs and just purchased a 2011 Winnebago 35 ft with the Ford V10. On my first trip through Arkansas with my Jeep Wrangler toad, I averaged 7.6 mpg at 65 - 70 mph. It seems a little underpowered but I felt I couldn't afford a DP so I went gas.

Does anyone have experience with the complete Banks Power upgrade and is it worth the money?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Banks Power

Old Dude 66, in Jan 03 we purchased an 01 Adventurer 35U with 12K mi., V-10. The first thing I did was drive it to Azuza, CA and had Banks install the full system on it. We drove it to 82K(traded in May 10) and the system never hiccuped one time. It worked flawlessly. I towed a Dakota 4X and the extra power was just what I needed. The Banks guy told me before I drove off, I would NOT see any increase in mileage and he was right. With that tow combo I could only get 7-8 mpg, with 7.5 being the average. Also, you will be happy with the V-10, it is almost a bulletproof engine. Never had one issue with the engine. Would I do it again? Certainly.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2009 Bounder with the V10, we make the same trip every year to Myrtle Beach going over Monteagle, TN. Before the 5Star tune & the Banks stinger system by the time we got to the top we would be running about 35 mph at around 4600 rpm's and that's with a 4900 lb tow behind us. This year I installed both 5Star Tune & the Banks kit and when we came over Monteagle this summer we fly over it at 53 mph and about 3200-3400 rpm's. The 5Star tune makes the biggest difference and it's only 395.00. I have a friend that owns a large diesel repair shop with a truck dyno after we did the install it was 417.7 hp and tq was 543.6 I thank stock is like 362 hp and tq is 457.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Banks System

old dude 66

I put the full Banks Powerpack system on my 1998 Dolphin with the Ford 460 V-8 and got a tremendous boost in power. No increase in gas mileage, but I did not expect that.

The Banks System, to my knowledge, works best on the Ford 460, next best on the Ford V-10, and least, but considerable, on the 8.1 Workhorse.

I think it is an excellent upgrade for motorhomes. I now have a 2005 Sea Breeze on the W-24 chassis and do not think I will add the Banks System to it as it seems to have planty of power. We just came back from a 3700 mile trip up and over several mountain ranges and it pulled up the grades just fine. I have a friend who did add the Banks to his Workhorse and is very happy with the increase in power.

The other plus about the Banks is, it is designed specifically for the application you need. It is also 100% Stainless Steel and replaces the standard 3/8" headers with 5/8" S/S headers. engine runs much cooler, which will extend the life of the engine.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

One more vote for the Banks system, have a 98 Winnebago Chieftain with the 460. Because we live in Colorado and have to go over a high pass every time we leave I felt that I needed the power. Now we can climb Monarch, Red Mountain with the DP's and even pass a few. Yes it is expensive but well worth the cost.
RV Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

I also just purchased the completet Banks Power package @ $2,890 Parts only. I have to install which is no problem. I know other brands are out on the market however Banks seems to be the best. I do not expect better MPG but the extra power is worth every dime.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also have the V10 in my 36' Bounder. Last trip of 1200 miles, I got just about 10mpg at 60mph with a tail wind. Now that sounds unbelievable, but thats Canadian gallons which are 20 percent bigger, so my real mileage was just around 8.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two MH's with Banks on them, a '98 Santara with 460 and now a '02 Dutch Star with Cummins ISC 350/1050 (now 435/1200). I have been extremely happy with both systems. On the 460 it made a big difference in the heat and noise in the cockpit, enough that even my wife noticed. At the time we towed a '95 Honda Odyssey on a dolly and I found that the unit accelerated as well with the towed on after the Banks as it did before the Banks without the towed. No mileage increase though.
On the present DSDP it made a huge difference in power. One hill I used to hit at 60 in 6th and top at 50 in 4th at wide open throttle I now hit at 60 in 6th, on cruise control and top at 60 still in 6th with throttle left. Again, no increase in mileage though.
The ISC used to have 1050 ft lbs only at 1400 rpm and was lower before and after that, with the Banks it doesn't get below 1050 till 2100 rpm, till then it's higher than 1050 all the way. In fact, comparing the ISL 400 to the ISC with Banks shows the ISC has more torque and HP throughout most of the rpm range. The ISL does have slightly more torque at 1300 rpm but that's it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, guys! As soon as I get over the pain of buying our unit, I plan to install the Banks Stinger and the 5 Star tuner.

We live south of Dallas and normally take only short trips. Exception: During the summer, we stay out of Texas for three months to avoid the heat and reside in South Dakota and Colorado (mainly Colorado).
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a Banks dealer south of Ft Worth. They do good work and sells most stuff a little off the others advertised pricing. I believe it's called Mac's Performance MAC'S PERFORMANCE for Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke, R.V.'s and Hotrods - Main Page (website only works with internet explorer), be sure to ask for Mac. I've been to his shop, you could eat off any part of his shop floor, kind of place I like. I had him build a custom Remco driveshaft disconnect for a '64 GMC Pickup that is a future toad. No one else would touch the project.

Kerry
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #12

We had a Banks on our 99 2V V10 275HP. For the Ford V10's, this engine was the most helped by a Banks system. On your era V10, I do not think you will see enough improvement to warrant the higher costs. You might want to look at the Brazel's Ultrapower too. This may be just enough extra power to keep you happy. If not, it works well with the Banks, so you could always do this in a two step mode first.

Brazel's RV > Ford Custom Tune

On the older F53's with 4spd transmissions, I also like the Gear Vendor. Our small little T28 Bounder, with Banks and Transcommand. Would have worked very well with the Gear Vendor. The split between 2nd and 3rd, would have been great for hill climbing. I'm not sure if the 5spd trans would benefit as much by the GV.

Just some other items to research, before tossing $$ at it.

Good luck on your research,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smitty, thanks for the input! I reckon I will delay spending money on it until I learn more. The five speed tranny does great and the power is more than sufficient on hills that I have encountered so far (Interstate 30 to Little Rock and around in Texas). I supposed it will be best to wait until after I make a trip to Colorado.

We were RVing with a 2010 Dodge Cummins 2500 pulling a 32 foot fifth wheel and there were times in Colorado that I couldn't go over 40 mph with the pedal on the floor when climbing. I don't mind some slower but will hate it if I have to drop below 30 mph and run higher 4000 rpms. I simply don't like the noise the V10 makes when it goes any higher.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Banks make excellent gear, but newer engines are already well-tuned and there is not as much to gain as there was 12-15 years ago. I had the full kit on a 96 Southwind 460 Ford and it was a definite boost back then. I don't think you are going to notice a whole lot of difference on a 2012, but under certan circumstances it will definitely perform better. Ask Banks for the torque and horsepower curves for your engine with and without their add-ons and you can see at what RPMs you have to run to gain much. Much of it is in the hgher RPM ranges, so don't expect to run at low RPMs with the Bankspackage. And you won't gain any mpg on a late model engine - it is already running at its theoretical peak efficiency under ts own computer control.

If you only add the Stinger you are only getting one piece of the potential improvements.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power