Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Banks Power

I have a 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B; cummins 340 and I am thinking about having a Banks Power system installed. I am looking for more torque and pulling power for steep up-hills. I also pull a toad. I would like some opinions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ask Banks for the torque & hp curves with and without their mods. I don't see any Banks kit for the 6.7L engine after 2009, so there may not be much left for them to improve upon.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary:
Yep, a lot of what Banks did is no longer allowed without recertification and it's too expensive for a relatively small outfit and return for Banks to do anymore. The Banks Power Pack on our 2002 DSDP w/ISC 350 really helped it but that kit is no longer made either.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycas10 View Post
I have a 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B; cummins 340 and I am thinking about having a Banks Power system installed. I am looking for more torque and pulling power for steep up-hills. I also pull a toad. I would like some opinions.
lol....we always need just alittle more

I've been going round and round with cummins try'n to get them to boost my motor to your 340hp... I have the same motor, but tuned to 300 /660 torque
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
lol....we always need just alittle more

I've been going round and round with cummins try'n to get them to boost my motor to your 340hp... I have the same motor, but tuned to 300 /660 torque
The motor is tuned to the size of the transmission. If you have an Allison 2100, you are at the safe amount of torque. Too much torque could cause a lot of tranny problems
Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
The motor is tuned to the size of the transmission. If you have an Allison 2100, you are at the safe amount of torque. Too much torque could cause a lot of tranny problems
Allison says 340 hp and 700 torque...

I bought this thing read'n about how every body had so much power with the diesels...

guess I missed the part it has to start with a 4 on the hp
Old 03-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LOL. The diesel advantage is that it develops the torque at low RPMs, so you have the full horsepower on tap at low speeds and can accelerate well from a standing start. A gas engine has to wind up the RPMs to reach its rated hp. Other than that, 340 hp is 340 hp, whether made with diesel or gas.

The weight/horsepower ratio is the key factor for overall peppy performance. Most motorhomes are spec'ed at around 100 lb/hp and that ain't gonna be snappy. Your car is probably more like 20 lb/hp.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
If you have one of the 2000 series Allison transmissions the torque is electronically limited to protect it. Find out what series the transmission is. If it's a 3000 series there is no imposed limit.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If it's a 3000 series there is no imposed limit.
The Allison 3000 does, however, have a limit. Last I read it was 450 hp and 1250 lb-ft. More than enough for the ISB engine, though.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The Allison 3000 does, however, have a limit. Last I read it was 450 hp and 1250 lb-ft. More than enough for the ISB engine, though.

X2. That is correct.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for all of the information, I have to admit that I don't know much about horse power vs. torque, and I am still a little confused about whether or not I should pay the $4K to have it installed. My MH has an Allison 2500 MH transmission. Should I be concerned about overpowering the trans? Question: should I or shouldn't I move forward on this costly fix? I need more pulling power; especially going up hills. Thank you for all the help
Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

Elycas,
I think you missed the point. Banks does not have any product to fix the 340 hp ISB. I have that engine also and have yet to find any add-on to give it more get up and go. I discussed the disappointing performance with a Cummins rep at last years Winnebago rally. All he could say was to take it to a Cummins shop and have them run a performance scan on it. I haven't done that yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #13

Trade her in on a Yeller Dog and Shoot the Dog.
The Devil made me say it, must be bored I guess.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LOL. The diesel advantage is that it develops the torque at low RPMs, so you have the full horsepower on tap at low speeds and can accelerate well from a standing start. A gas engine has to wind up the RPMs to reach its rated hp. Other than that, 340 hp is 340 hp, whether made with diesel or gas.

The weight/horsepower ratio is the key factor for overall peppy performance. Most motorhomes are spec'ed at around 100 lb/hp and that ain't gonna be snappy. Your car is probably more like 20 lb/hp.
Our new to us Magna is about 75 lbs per HP and it's very peppy for an almost 50,000# MH. Well, at least it was till the engine blew up. Cummins has a known problem with this engine doing exactly what happened to ours again.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power