Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Banks Power Sales Rep Says

With my 2007 W22, 8.1, Allison 1000 6 Speed that if I put the Power Pack System on I will see a 20MPH increase up 6 percent grades.

Does anyone have first hand experience with a before and after install that can validate this?

Not interested in anything but first hand knowledge.

Thanks
JimGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

JimGo I have no first hand knowledge of what the salesperson said except that my daddy told me if its too good to be true it stinks. You can get a 20mph increase up a 6% grade by putting the peddle to the metal and watch the gas gauge go down. My mechanic and I spoke about this last year on my 87 454 and he builds engines, races cars, and has his own shop. He said that I might get 1 mpg increase and maybe a bit more power, but for $3000 he said lets tune it up, twick it abit and have at it. I can take a nice steep 9 mile climb coming out of the Columbia Gorge up towards Ellensburg, WA and 60 and pass anybody I want. With plenty of peddle to spare. Save the money on gas and take the hill at 50 and enjoy life.

May not be what you want to hear, but giving you my opinion.
Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. We had the Banks System put on 31 ft. Class C with the V-10. If definitely gave more midrange power and would pull a hill better and longer before it down shifted. No way was the increase enough to increase my top of the hill by 20 mph.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Had a Banks system installed on my 454 gas 35' motorhome. I got 1mpg better on the gas and steep hills were climbed with an improvement of aprox. 5mph.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have Banks in my 5.9 ISB, Allison 3000 and although a 20 mph increase on a 6% sounds a bit much, I wouldn't doubt
him. The performance in my 40 footer has been remarkable and every bit the performance they claim in their literature.
Can't say anything about gas performance, but from my dealings with Banks, they are honest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1638067612.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	21844  
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
He may have meant 20% which makes more sense.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
JimGo I have no first hand knowledge of what the salesperson said except that my daddy told me if its too good to be true it stinks. You can get a 20mph increase up a 6% grade by putting the peddle to the metal and watch the gas gauge go down. My mechanic and I spoke about this last year on my 87 454 and he builds engines, races cars, and has his own shop. He said that I might get 1 mpg increase and maybe a bit more power, but for $3000 he said lets tune it up, twick it abit and have at it. I can take a nice steep 9 mile climb coming out of the Columbia Gorge up towards Ellensburg, WA and 60 and pass anybody I want. With plenty of peddle to spare. Save the money on gas and take the hill at 50 and enjoy life.

May not be what you want to hear, but giving you my opinion.
Good Luck
Arnold
That hill you are talking about is Ryegrass pass, AKA 'heartbreaker hill'. I have been up it a few times in my old gasser motorhome, my top speed was 45 mph. So sounds like the banks would be an improvment.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran a Banks system in my Daodge Ram 3500 with my 5th wheel and if you would set the cruize control and did not have to kill it do to some nut getting in front of you and then slowing down to 30 mph. She would drop to 3rd gear and out run even the cars goin up any hill. That said, i don't know how it will act on a gasser. I hope to find out next year when I add it to mine, unless I upgrade to a DP.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the power pack on our 2004 Dolphin, 8.1 workhorse. I see a 5-7 mph increase on big hills. /a lot depends on the size of toad, how you are loaded etc. I agree with previous post that 20% is more realistic. I do feel Banks is an honest and effective company with very good customer service from tech dept. good luck.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have first hand experience with modifying 8.1 Workhorse gas motorhome exhaust.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power