Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Banks power system- poor customer service rant!

Sorry but here's my rant: I was considering buying the full Banks power system for my '97 Aerbus, Ford F53 460. Their website indicates a price of $2098 and the other retailers selling it for about $1889. The Banks website gives you the sense that they want to help you and provide direct factory pricing, etc and they actually care about your project. I emailed them with a question and it was responded to with a call and very nice voicemail message. I called the sales person back and eventually spoke to him. I was surprised at how arrogant and rude he was. He clearly didn't want to help me nor gave a rats a#% about my project. He immediately asked "what's your question" in an abrupt and rude manner. I asked about the various products and he provided no details whatsoever. I told him that I Saw other prices that were more competitive from other reputable dealers other than the manufacturer and he gave me a line about how the other dealers might not have the right product and no warranty or support. So I reviewed the warranty and it basically eliminates any way for the consumer to ever get anything back, plus you have to pay for freight and anything else but it looks very weak. I told him that Their website price was a few dollars short of $2100 and his response was" yeah, maybe that's right". Unbelievable response. He then asked me if I "was hoping for that price". I told him no, I was hoping for a lower price. What a stupid question to ask! At that point I was disgusted and told him goodbye. He asked if he could give me his direct number so I could place my order with him after I thought about it....um...no way in he@$. I then researched Google, yelp, and other reviews and was initially surprised at the number of negative reviews about their customer service and warranty, etc. so I guess what I experienced is typical for Banks. Now I'm turned off by the whole notion of giving up $2K to a company that seems to think I should be happy to give them my hard earned money in return for being treated like crap. I shudder to think if I actually buy the product and have a problem and need to resolve it with their customer service department. If their this rude with taking your money, imagine them giving it back! I now don't know what to do as I thought this was the perfect solution to my 460 manifold issues and power gains. Has anyone else had a better experience buying from the factory? Sorry for the rant but I do feel better now! 😅
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I did when I bought the PowerPak system for our ISC 350 direct from them and installed it myself. Instructions were complete and easy to follow. Got it installed and got warning message on the test drive. Called and they ran me through a few things to check and determined a bad wiring harness was the problem and that it wouldn't harm anything to run it. We left on vacation and when we got back I installed the new harness. It ran fine for some 7 years after that and was still doing just fine when we traded the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Your rant is indicative of the folly of a amateur hoping to successfully modify a vintage chassis. Banks product is best purchased from an entity like Jegs or Summit, if price is important. If you're worried about refunds and such, have the modifications done by a professional, save your self the stress.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a banks system installed on our 2004 winnebago about 8 years ago. Only dealt with Banks to ask info & pricing, then called camping world to get the same, price was lower at camping world & they did the install. Very happy with the work they did there and Banks system worked great until we sold the coach 2yrs later
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
Your rant is indicative of the folly of a amateur hoping to successfully modify a vintage chassis. Banks product is best purchased from an entity like Jegs or Summit, if price is important. If you're worried about refunds and such, have the modifications done by a professional, save your self the stress.
I hate to say this but I tend to agree with Mr.Hipster. I installed a Banks kit a few years ago on my ISC. I believe the factory price was as you stated was a couple bucks more than one of the no inventory online outfits but I ordered it from Banks in case there were any issues rather than deal with a mail order house.
The install went like clock work and is performing as advertised to this day.
This is an Engineered Product, not a toy.

Too bad they don't have a market for the ISC kit any longer and have ceased production on that kit.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
So do you have this opinion on everything you buy? The OP was trying to ask some simple questions about a product.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Too bad they don't have a market for the ISC kit any longer and have ceased production on that kit.
Banks subed out the black box (Ottomind) and that company either went out of business or no longer made them so Banks really had no choice. It's too bad too as it was a really good product.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know who the OP talked to, when I ordered my Banks Power Pak system in 2011 I spoke and emailed Eric several times. He was always very nice and accommodating to my questions. Earlier this year I needed the test plug for the Trans Command to by pass it. Left a voice mail for Eric, he called me back in a few minutes to verify my address they had file. I received the test plug the next day at no charge.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, service