Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Banks PowerPack System - Worth it?

I'm always looking for ways to improve the performance/power of my 8.1L and maybe get a little more fuel efficiency in the process. Are the Banks systems worth the money? Do you get enough bang for the buck to justify the cost? I don't have the money at this point to have a system installed, but if I did at some point, should I?

Is there anything in the DIY category that someone on a low budget with mechanical skills could do?
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You would have to drive a 100k + miles to break even with the cost of gas these day
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the full Power Pack system for over 3years. A good torque boost where you need it in mid range. Don't expect more mpg. You either go for power or some other devices devices for mileage. Power usually costs $. Just like racing!. I'm not sorry I spent the $. Everything in recreation is a convenience.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
You would have to drive a 100k + miles to break even with the cost of gas these day
If fuel cost savings were $3 per tank, vs cost of Banks unit at $3,000 +.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

From what I have seen based o. Other threads and my own research, which just amounts to my own opinion: seems that most folks who spend the $$$ on a Banks system are happy with it, but one of the main purchasing factors seems to be for more power I. Mountainous or hilly terrain. If that is the bulk of your driving it may become worth it. If not, I'd save the money you could spend on it for any future issues that may pop up and stay stock. Just my .02
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 35 ft 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 8.1L and had a Banks system installed. My husband looked into costs vs benefits, and decided it was worth it. The power was definetly a plus. First time we took it over the Grapevine in CA w/Banks and was able to keep our speed at 60-65 mph passing all the slow trucks, motorhomes, etc. Sure beat dropping down our speed to 35-45 mph before the banks. True we did not see additional mpg but felt the power was there when we needed it.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
I'm always looking for ways to improve the performance/power of my 8.1L and maybe get a little more fuel efficiency in the process. Are the Banks systems worth the money? Do you get enough bang for the buck to justify the cost? I don't have the money at this point to have a system installed, but if I did at some point, should I?

Is there anything in the DIY category that someone on a low budget with mechanical skills could do?
I installed a full Banks Power Pack last year on my Cummins 230 12v. The change in performance was night and day, like putting a new engine in. Fuel mileage didn't change much, less than 1 mpg increase. I also put a performance spring kit in which gives me more rpm range before I starve for fuel. Combined with the Power Pack I can now run with ISBs.

The risk of more power is always more heat. Physics. Gale Banks seemed to have figured out how to increase power without killing the EGTs. If your looking to wake your 8.1 up the system works. If your looking to increase mileage adding more fuel will not help your cause.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane98 View Post
We had a 35 ft 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 8.1L and had a Banks system installed. My husband looked into costs vs benefits, and decided it was worth it. The power was definetly a plus. First time we took it over the Grapevine in CA w/Banks and was able to keep our speed at 60-65 mph passing all the slow trucks, motorhomes, etc. Sure beat dropping down our speed to 35-45 mph before the banks. True we did not see additional mpg but felt the power was there when we needed it.
Same with our ISC 350, no fuel mileage improvement but the torque increase was well worth it!
Stock ISC 350/1050
With Banks 435/1200 and that's probably low according to what magazines say about Banks advertising figures.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #9

I have a 2005 Pace Arrow with the 8.1, and I was thinking of the Banks Power Pack as well, but after much reading and consideration, I think that I will be going with Brazel's Ultra Power ECM upgrade with new Plugs and wires. This should provide similar power boosts and mileage increases for considerably less money....about one third of the cost. Search for Ultra Power, and be prepared to read for a good while.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was lucky to buy my coach with the Banks system installed by the previous owner--have the complete exhaust, cold air intake, and the computer reprogram. I'm sure the milage is not a big difference (10% of 8 mpg isn't that much to notice) but the power is noticeable from other like coaches I drove without it. Looking forward to it when I head back to WY in the spring.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #11

Your biggest inprovement will come from the Exhaust. Many local exhaust facilities can create you a much better system for half the cost of the Banks
Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a very good Youtube about the DOD giving Banks a contract to outfit the Humvee--the horse power and performance gains and they show a stock (now up-armored) vs. one with the Banks system installed. It is worth is to watch the 10 minute video. It also speaks to how long and how respected Banks has been in the performance business. There is always going to be "haters" out there no matter the subject.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
There is a very good Youtube about the DOD giving Banks a contract to outfit the Humvee--the horse power and performance gains and they show a stock (now up-armored) vs. one with the Banks system installed. It is worth is to watch the 10 minute video. It also speaks to how long and how respected Banks has been in the performance business. There is always going to be "haters" out there no matter the subject.
Chief, he asked if it was worth it, not if it was any good. Financially it is not a good investment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Chief, he asked if it was worth it, not if it was any good. Financially it is not a good investment.

I don't have a dog in this fight but after reviewing the post by tetonchief, my understanding is that he was talking about the you tube video being good.

The OP used the word "worth" which is very subjective. It is akin to asking if the weather was "warm".

Finally the idea of ANYTHING relating to RVing being "financially" an "investment" is laughable at best.
ISM500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power