Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

Barn find

I am starting to look for a used Class A and saw a 2001 Dutch Star along the road for sale. It seems the owner's husband died 5 years ago and it's been sitting in a pole barn ever since. Her kids took it on 1 trip a year or so ago. It looked ok, definitely needed detailed. Didn't show a lot of wear. Engine started and ran ok. Gen started and ran ok. Seemed noisy back in the bedroom and a fair amount of vibration there. Don't know if that is normal or not. This seems kinda like a pig in a poke. I know it needs tires, but they replaced all the batteries when they brought it out for sale. Asking price 55k with new tires, 50k without. I was thinking of spending around 75k so is it better to buy older and put money in it or buy newer and pay more up front???
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
i"d call it a lil pricy. did you look up nada bluebook wholesale?
How many slides?
Does the floorplan work for you?
shower big enough?
I don't go in the bedroom when the diesel is running, suggest you don't either...lol
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

I think the price is high. Haven't looked up the book value on it. Like I said, just starting to look. Not real sure what layout will work yet. This one had a washer & dryer, freezer, separate ice maker but I'm not sure if all the stuff worked. It had 1 slide that was for the couch and table area. 57k miles.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Id count on $10k to get it road worthy... so figure that into your price.
Unless the wife is emotionally attached... you could get a good deal.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

The widow is 82 and the kids are promoting the sale. I'm concerned about the lack of use and problems with water systems, brakes etc. How easy is it to access the water systems? I don't mind working on things but I'm not looking for a part time job if you know what I mean.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Would probably pay to have a qualified RV tech give it a thorough inspection. Could lead to getting a bargain or walking away from a major pain in the posterior.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Theres probably nothing worse for anything mechanical than little or no use. I would pay the money for an inspection of the rig. I agree that you should count on 10k in start-up costs. Good luck with your decision.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I would offer 40 G for an 01in good shape!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #9

Agree on getting it checked out. Unless you are qualified, I'd have it to 2 places. One for the chassis, another for the appliances. VERY few places are qualified to even look at both. Sellers should agree if you're willing to share the results.

I would find my own tires.

This deal would be much easier to decide on knowing you were planning on doing the majority of the repair work. There will be darn little in the way of a warranty available? If that's a concern, you'll be way ahead working with a dealer.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget to look at all the seals including those in the engine. One trip a year may not have been sufficient to keep them all lubricated.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I don't mind working on things but I'm not looking for a part time job if you know what I mean.
Then stay away from this one! Lack of use is about the worse thing you could do to an old complicated piece of machinery.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
Then stay away from this one! Lack of use is about the worse thing you could do to an old complicated piece of machinery.
Barn = rodent infested
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Agree on getting it checked out. Unless you are qualified, I'd have it to 2 places. One for the chassis, another for the appliances. VERY few places are qualified to even look at both. Sellers should agree if you're willing to share the results.

I would find my own tires.
2X Take it from someone who bought a unit that sat for a few years EVERY rubber part will have to be replaced, EVERY fluid will have to be drained and new put in and things like brakes, oil seals, front end parts and electrical will have to be checked out.

Could be an ok deal IF it checks out ok but don't count on it. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires?

I think you'll find that the 1000 'allowance' for tires is more than a little light. More like 2-3K for a set of 6 'quality' tires. More if it has a spare.

Check the date code on the tires. If they are from 2001 your first stop should be to get new ones. If they are older than 7 years you should think about replacing them soon. (I would not run a rig of that size on > 6 year old tires. That goes double for them sitting unused most of the time)

Instructions for checking the date code can be found using the search function here. Or google, bing, yahoo........

As other have said, check the nada guide : 2001 Dutch Star Price, 2001 Dutch Star Values & 2001 Dutch Star Specs | NADAguides

You'll need to know the model #, chassis, powertrain, and options.

Speaking generically and from my experience if you buy a used motorhome you WILL be working on it unless you've got cubic yards of money. And if you do why not buy a new one in the first place?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote