Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Basement Air problems in Journey 2010

Love to hear your thoughts on Basement AC In the Journey 2010.
We are looking at purchasing this model.
Arrived1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Hello!
The basement air conditioner/heat pump either works or doesn't. Be sure to operate it in both modes. There is no way to know for how long. You'll find many threads in the Winnebago forum about the basement air system; how to repair, how to operate, where to find replacement parts-or new unit,etc.
It has an air filter (below the bed in mine)That must be cleaned or replaced per Winnebago owners manual.
I much prefer the basement unit in lieu of roof units because it is very quiet in operation and even heat/cooling, the only sound we hear inside is air blowing out the ceiling registers
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

Agree 100% with Ray, IN. We really like ours and like the fact we can run the heat pump and save on propane. In the end we gave been extremely pleased.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
x3 on the basement air. I love ours and have had no major problems. One common issue however is the ductwork that goes up in the rear from the unit tends to split at the corner seams. When it is running you can feel any air leaks behind the rear cap. Leaks can be easily fixed with some aluminum a/c repair tape. Don't use cloth duct tape. That is the only thing I have done to ours in four years other than change filters regularly. Use the fiberglass filters, not the high efficiency paper ones. It is basically a self contained mobile home a/c with dual compressors.

Good luck and welcome.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
x3 on the basement air. I love ours and have had no major problems. One common issue however is the ductwork that goes up in the rear from the unit tends to split at the corner seams. When it is running you can feel any air leaks behind the rear cap. Leaks can be easily fixed with some aluminum a/c repair tape. Don't use cloth duct tape. That is the only thing I have done to ours in four years other than change filters regularly. Use the fiberglass filters, not the high efficiency paper ones. It is basically a self contained mobile home a/c with dual compressors.

Good luck and welcome.
Yep, I had to repair the ductwork behind the rear cap too, it's tight in there. I do use pleated filters, they catch more dirt/dust than the see-thorough ones. Yes they do add flow restriction when they begin to get dirty, so I change them monthly when the unit is in-use. The dirt/dust that passes through the see-thru filters gets trapped in the evaporator coil/radiator and reduces cool or heat transfer.
Try one for a month then check it for trapped dirt/dust. You'll be surprised.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have basement air on our current coach as well as our previous coach, a 2001 Adventurer. Works fine. The heat pump feature works much better than the furnace, at least down to the mid 40's. I agree with the filter getting dirty. I use the good 3M filters like I have in our home furnace.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Gang,
Apperently I've either been misinformed or, just misunderstood what I've thought was good information pertaining to these basement A/C units and, "DEF" system coaches. And by that I mean, what I've been lead to believe is, around '07 or newer, Winne and Itasca had to eliminate the basement A/C unit due to the need for the space to provide for the amount of new smog/DEF equipped engines.

And with that being said, I would think that the coach the OP is looking at, a 2010 model, would not have a basement A/C but instead, would have roof A/C units. Well, learn something every day. Now, if I could just remember what I learned yesterday.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have a 2008 Itasca Latitude dp and it has basement air, and very happy with it. You can find out at Winnebagoind.com. Go to previous product, find the year and model and proceed from there. The 2009 Latitude still had basement air, not sure if this is true for all models.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
Apperently I've either been misinformed or, just misunderstood what I've thought was good information pertaining to these basement A/C units and, "DEF" system coaches. And by that I mean, what I've been lead to believe is, around '07 or newer, Winne and Itasca had to eliminate the basement A/C unit due to the need for the space to provide for the amount of new smog/DEF equipped engines.

And with that being said, I would think that the coach the OP is looking at, a 2010 model, would not have a basement A/C but instead, would have roof A/C units. Well, learn something every day. Now, if I could just remember what I learned yesterday.
Scott
Winnebago did use the TrueAir basement unit in 2010.TrueAir
And I do remember that rumor too.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,

Scott
Scott: The first model year for non-basement AC was 2011. That coincides with the need for a DEF tank on their pushers. The previous "smog" issue only required a DPF added to the exhaust, which apparently still left room for the Basement AC. The gasser units were never affected by any of these "smog" concerns, but WBGO eliminated the basement AC on gassers at the same time as when the DP models stopped using them. As far as I'm concerned, I wish they had stopped using them sooner because mine has been such a big disappointment and expense to me.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Scott: The first model year for non-basement AC was 2011. That coincides with the need for a DEF tank on their pushers. The previous "smog" issue only required a DPF added to the exhaust, which apparently still left room for the Basement AC. The gasser units were never affected by any of these "smog" concerns, but WBGO eliminated the basement AC on gassers at the same time as when the DP models stopped using them. As far as I'm concerned, I wish they had stopped using them sooner because mine has been such a big disappointment and expense to me.
edgray,
Well Sir, I surely thank you and others who've "straightened" me out. I usually like to be as accurate as possible if and when I say things, add things, explain things here on the site. But, not having been effected by the "smog" issues of either DEF or, any other diesel smog adjustments or add-ons, on our present coach and, not really knowing anyone personally that has, I was only "repeating" what I'd heard and read. Now, I'm better informed, for sure. Thanks again.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey