Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Basement door-handle

I need some help please. I have a 2001 Damon Intruder and the basement door handles are those big square ones that lift in the middle. I have broken one while it is shut and now I can not open the basement door. Does anybody know how to remove the door handle or open the door so I can replace the broken handle? I have a replacement handle for it already but the only way I can see to remove the old one is by undoing four bolts on the back of it. I can not get to those bolts if I'm unable to open the door. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Using a hole drill Hole drill - Google Search should give you access to reach in with a rod/screwdriver to release the spring latch mechanism.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Could you post a picture of your door latch ? Mine broke and I had to get in also. If its the same I can take pictures to show how I got in.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
sement latch

Same problem I had on our CC. Was able to use a small tool like a dentist pick to get to the plastic plungers. Takes two people (one to hold the door slightly open) Use masking tape to protect the paint at the door seams. It's a pita to do but once opened it's a snap to change out the latch. There may be two little round clips to keep the two rods anchored to the latch and another pita to find them.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Could you post a picture of your door latch ? Mine broke and I had to get in also. If its the same I can take pictures to show how I got in.

Hopefully these pics comes through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-17_13-24-47_436.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	37074   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-17_13-24-56_774.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	37075  

Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

Take a look at an unbroken one and note where the latch bolt is located. On the broken one, drill a small hole 1/8-3/16 dia. in the bottom edge of the door inline with the bolt. Insert a rod or small phillips screwdriver into the hole and push the bolt to open. I did this to all by basement access doors so if they break, get stuck, etc. I have a way to get in. The hole is not visible unless you are looking in the right place.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #7

It looks like its similar but not exact. Find a long strong screwdriver that will go up from bottom to get to plastic latch . I use a wide scraper like tool to gently pry door out to provide access. Put a mark on screwdriver at the right length so you know about where latch is, take hammer and break latch. I've done this twice now, store those tools somewhere but in a bin with a latch like that. I made the silly mistake of throwing them in my tool box and guess which latch broke next !! I used a Label maker and put "don't slam door shut" that's on the bottom of every door to remind me and others to let it down gently and that cures about 99% of broken latch rods

Name:	image-2381741451.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	37092

Name:	image-2334296450.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	37093
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
It looks like its similar but not exact. Find a long strong screwdriver that will go up from bottom to get to plastic latch . I use a wide scraper like tool to gently pry door out to provide access. Put a mark on screwdriver at the right length so you know about where latch is, take hammer and break latch. I've done this twice now, store those tools somewhere but in a bin with a latch like that. I made the silly mistake of throwing them in my tool box and guess which latch broke next !! I used a Label maker and put "don't slam door shut" that's on the bottom of every door to remind me and others to let it down gently and that cures about 99% of broken latch rods

Attachment 37092

Attachment 37093

Great! I will give this a try tomorrow and post results. Thanks so much. I'm sure slamming is what broke mine as well. UGH lol
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfcons View Post
Take a look at an unbroken one and note where the latch bolt is located. On the broken one, drill a small hole 1/8-3/16 dia. in the bottom edge of the door inline with the bolt. Insert a rod or small phillips screwdriver into the hole and push the bolt to open. I did this to all by basement access doors so if they break, get stuck, etc. I have a way to get in. The hole is not visible unless you are looking in the right place.

That sounds like a very good idea. I will look into that. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:

Attachment 37092

Attachment 37093

Well I had a great sunshiny day today to get out and work on the basement door. I have decided I am the luckiest guy in the world. My basement latch looks NOTHING like yours! lol Mine doesn't have those poles that go out the sides of the door to latch. Mine is like a house door with the lever going down. I was able to figure out what I have to do but I had already reached the point of frustration today when I figured it out. I'll look at tackling it again next weekend!!!