Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Basement door hold open

The gas rod prop that attaches to the basement door has been torn away from the door to the point where there isn't anything to re attach it to. The only thing i can think of is to screw a 6" square piece of thin sheet metal to the door. I will be able to secure this into the good door material and then attach the gas rod prop to the sheet metal patch.
Any ideas for something better??
I'm sure i will be doing this again as all doors have this poor attachment.

Thanks
Bruce Hotaling
2006 Georgieboy Pursuit

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

How about some 8th,inch aluminum you could pop rivet all around

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
The gas rod prop that attaches to the basement door has been torn away from the door to the point where there isn't anything to re attach it to. The only thing i can think of is to screw a 6" square piece of thin sheet metal to the door. I will be able to secure this into the good door material and then attach the gas rod prop to the sheet metal patch.
Any ideas for something better??
I'm sure i will be doing this again as all doors have this poor attachment.

Thanks
Bruce Hotaling
2006 Georgieboy Pursuit
Cut your metal to cover the area for attachment. Mix a batch of JB weld. put a layer of JB weld on your metal plate and attach it to the door. It will be the last time you have trouble with that attachment point. Very solid, permanent repair. Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had to do that on our 2002 National RV Dolphin LX. I fastened about a 4"x5", 1/8" aluminum plate to the door with large pop rivets to provide a solid anchor for the strut.

The factory re-attached the struts under warranty but just used the big rivets on the struts, without the backing plate. Not long after the warranty expired the rivets began to pull out through the door skin, so I added the backer plates and it lasted 4 more years with no signs of breaking out again. I traded the coach at that point, so don't know if it lasted a lot longer or just a little.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

if you can post a picture
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem solved. I took the advice of the last reply.
Here is what i did, Went to home depot and they had a piece of sheet metal 6"X18", some JB weld and some short stainless steel screws. I took the sheet metal to a local sheetmetal fabricator (i could have used my jig saw but wanted it neat) and for a couple of $ he cut it into 6"X6" pieces which i used for the patch. Drilled 4 small holes in each corner of the patch to secure with the SS screws for some added hold. I roughed up all surfaces to be welded with jb weld. Mixed up the weld, put a thin layer of weld on the patch, put the patch on the door, 4 corner screws in and used a stick prop between the ground and the center of the patch using the weight of the door on the stick prop to put added pressure on the patch till the JB weld cured. Painted with some rustoleum white and 4 hours later i drilled 4 holes into the patch to mount the door end of the gas rod. This repair will last forever and i have 2 more patches left for when other doors fail.

Bruce and June Hotaling
06 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31' w/2012 Ford Fusion hybrid toad.
2 cocker spaniels, Sadie and maggie
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Problem solved. I took the advice of the last reply.
Here is what i did, Went to home depot and they had a piece of sheet metal 6"X18", some JB weld and some short stainless steel screws. I took the sheet metal to a local sheetmetal fabricator (i could have used my jig saw but wanted it neat) and for a couple of $ he cut it into 6"X6" pieces which i used for the patch. Drilled 4 small holes in each corner of the patch to secure with the SS screws for some added hold. I roughed up all surfaces to be welded with jb weld. Mixed up the weld, put a thin layer of weld on the patch, put the patch on the door, 4 corner screws in and used a stick prop between the ground and the center of the patch using the weight of the door on the stick prop to put added pressure on the patch till the JB weld cured. Painted with some rustoleum white and 4 hours later i drilled 4 holes into the patch to mount the door end of the gas rod. This repair will last forever and i have 2 more patches left for when other doors fail.

Bruce and June Hotaling
06 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31' w/2012 Ford Fusion hybrid toad.
2 cocker spaniels, Sadie and maggie
Glad my door repair method worked for you. Hopefully you won't have another fail but at least you know how to fix it if it does. Have fun and seeya on the road.
Cal
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just did just that (six, well 4 inch square of metal) And here is the good news The whole job set me back brand new hardware, 3 bucks. here is what I purchased.

1 Junction box cover 4" Square (Lowes for all parts) electrical dept.

10 Lag screws, about 2x the diamater of the OEM screws and a bit longer (1.25") (hardware dept, bulk parts)

That is it.

I drilled out the holes in the braket to take the larger bolts

Used a smaller drill for 3 holes on the plate and then the larger bit for the rest of the holes (total 10 holes, I drilled only six of them before mounting

Mounted both plate and bracket (Sans gas shock) in the original holes with the larger lags.

Then put in 5 more lags (3 in the holes I drilled and 2 in the factory drilled hole and slot)

Drilled two more holes right next to the bracket and put in the last two lags

Attched Gas Shock

Yes, I do believe in overkill.

Tags
door