Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
I have a Dometic that was factory installed on a slideout in the first compartment beside my steps. It is used everytime we take off. It will hold a case of beer and mumerous other drinks. It has a two compartment divider, but I just use it on refrigeration only. The first time I used it, I had it set too low and froze several drinks, with a couple of them cracking and leaking, lesson learned. It's nice to offer someone a beer or drink when they stop to visit on the patio, and I just turn around and give them one. Mine will also run on my inverter or on 12V power.

Tarheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Norcold freezer/fridge on a pull-out,it's pricey but the Mh came with it.It is also good in emergency when the other fridge has a problem.
In my former Kountry Star I had a SANYO small 23" high fridge from Costco that just fit into the basement,also very good and about $120?

Siggy & Ursula.
2011 Newmar DSDP 4020 (no Tag, no DEF, 07 emission),
FTL XCR ,ISL 400,2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4x4, V6, Active Drive II, BrakeBuddy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
We have one in an outside compartment, and wouldn't be without it. Living here in the deep South where summer time temps are very hot, and traveling sometimes with grandkids, keeping drinks outside keeps the inside of coach cooler because the entry door isn't opened every five minutes.
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Save the space and the money.

Drink your beer warm.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sort of have one ... It is not in the basement, it's inside, the additional freezer space is priceless far as I'm concerned. Well worth the money it cost me.

For many having easy access to a "Cold one" outside is nice too,, Since my preferred brew is served hot (Coffee) that does not apply to me.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never had one and don't see the need in our case. DW never likes to overstock the reefer, we seldom have more that 5 to 7 days food in the reefer maybe a couple of weeks worth in the freezer.

Since I am usually a "one beer charlie" there is little need to run back and forth for me and most of our company drink red wine, not chilled. The kids don't visit often enough to justify a cooler and frankly with all the food variables today I am not sure I could even stock all the options to satisfy the different needs - how many kinds of milk are there anyhow?
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can see specific uses, e.g. fish or game storage, but as a general think I just don't see the need to stock lots of extra frozen foods. Rarely are we that far from a supermarket that we have to "stock up".

We spend several months at a time in the coach, so we have to go shopping regularly anyway. If we were only going away for weekends or short vacations, I can see where we might want to carry enough foods so that grocery shopping did not need to be on the agenda. Might also carry frozen, pre-made meals.

Use as an outside beverage cooler is also a worthwhile thing for some folks. That's the only use that has tempted me very much. But our bays are chuck full anyway!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This is what is now on the slide out in the basement.
The photo was taken next to our old RV. I homebrew beer and dispense it from soda kegs. The cooler is a "jockey box". Inside is a cold plate designed for soda. The beer goes in warm, runs through the cold plate submerged in ice and comes out the tap cold. The portable ice maker supplies the ice. When I run out of my own beer I have a commercial keg tap and buy beer.

I would love to have a kegorator (keg fridge) like in the sticks and bricks house but they are too tall for the basement.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote