Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question Basement Freezer/Refrigerators - Worthwhile

I'm trying to tap into your collective wisdom.

I've seen several high end coaches that include a basement freezer that apparently can also be used as a fridge. They're not giagantic in capacity or size and the refrigerator in the coach is a residential one, so it's not tiny.

My question for those of you that don't have one -- are there times you really wished you had one? When and why?

For those of you that do have a coach with one -- Do you really use them? Are they worth the storage space they take over? Are they mechanically reliable (or more of a money pit)?

I would appreciate any and all comments, scenarios.

Thanks!
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
How abut a place close by to store a cold one as you stare at the stars...wouldn't want to interrupt a great sunset. Of course, I'm just speculating how I'll use mine in a couple months.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

I'll start off by saying that we're not the average RV'er. However, we do have a small freezer that we put in the basement. We use it that way when we are in Alaska fishing. We go up every 2 years, and the halibut goes in the basement freezer. We also put a full size household chest freezer in the back of the pickup and the salmon fills that up. The residential in the coach we use for regular meals and things the same way you'd use a home refrigerator/freezer. When we get home the basement freezer comes out for various other uses, until the next trip. We just ordered a new Allegro Bus but no basement freezer. We already have one of those.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I have the Norcold frig/freezer in a basement bay of my '98 Eagle. I am the second owner so I have no idea if there have been any past problems but it is the original unit. In the past year we have used it every time we went out and found it very useful in both its functions. It frees up space in the in the house appliance and does come in very handy when you are entertaining outside. It will freeze 3 case of beer rock solid, ask me how I know.

It does take up some storage space but for us so far it has not been a problem.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Oops..no pulling those beers out quick enough
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I bought a small dorm fridge and have it in my 5er basement for drinks and other items we dont need in the 5er. Works great and stays cold enough went not running while traveling. $75 at WW
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

We have one Love it. Norcold Frig/Freezer doesn't take up to much room, when not in use you can pack it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

We've got one, from Compact Appliance, called Edgestar. We've had it for 3 years. The only thing I've done other then plug it in, was hard wire the 12v line straight to the freezer.

It is used as a freezer only, everything stays frozen. It has seen temp from the 30s to 120.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We have one, it's like the American Express card, we don't leave home without it. When in the fish states, we use it for fish. When in the pork states, it's pork. Ours runs on either 12VDC or 110AC and will switch to what is available.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had them in our last two DSDP's, factory installed on a slide out tray. My wife can't resist buying stuff on sale so we have that one stuffed with frozen food (as well as two others (31 cf and 15 cf ones) as well as the refer freezer in house)).

We have a small Dometic refer/freezer in the MH so the storage bay refer/freezer is a must for us.

Cost was something around $1,100 as a factory option with the slide tray.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I have the Norcold frig/freezer in a basement bay of my '98 Eagle. I am the second owner so I have no idea if there have been any past problems but it is the original unit. In the past year we have used it every time we went out and found it very useful in both its functions. It frees up space in the in the house appliance and does come in very handy when you are entertaining outside. It will freeze 3 case of beer rock solid, ask me how I know.

It does take up some storage space but for us so far it has not been a problem.
I'm pretty certain I have the same unit as you. We use it everytime we go somewhere. I normally keep a case of beer in it and other high usage items to cut down on the amount of opening/closing of the main fridge's door and cut down on the amount of times I'm dragging dirt/sand into the moho. When we are at the site, I spend the majority of my time outdoors around the patio area and it's really handy.

Ours is coming up on eight years in service and we have not had any issues with it.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #12

My Dutch Star has one in a slide out but it has a bad compressor motor. I would love to use it for the same reasons stated above but I was told that parts are no longer available. A new one is over $ 1k so I'll probably just replace it with a dorm-size refrigerator for beverages
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We've got a 63qt Edgestar one on a slide to the curb direction. Use it all the time for added fridge space for bottles of beer, extra gal of milk, prestaging cool stuff for an outside cookout for groups, food sales, etc. Cools faster and colder with more efficiency and single digit digital temperature setting range of -8 to 50f.
57lbs and uses 75watts max when cooling. Auto switches between 12dc/120ac. It's limited to electricity and not LP and has to be used as a freezer if ambient is below 41f. We feel it doesn't cut into storage space but simply increases the storage options for that area. Cost was $590.00 delivered which has more space and cost less than the Dometic/Norcold equiv. units. The top door hinges are on the long side which is what we prefer. Best use of +57lbs to the coach and reduces the number of in/out trips in the coach and inside fridge. Used for last 5years (6mo continuous/yr avg) no issues.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cost was something around $1,100 as a factory option with the slide tray.

Inflation; they're now $1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
My Dutch Star has one in a slide out but it has a bad compressor motor. I would love to use it for the same reasons stated above but I was told that parts are no longer available. A new one is over $ 1k so I'll probably just replace it with a dorm-size refrigerator for beverages

Here is a link to the brand that Qwert66 and I are using. Portable Freezer Units | 12 Volt Travel Freezers | CompactAppliancecom

Much cheaper alternative. We use ours heavily.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote