Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Basement heat

I have a '99 Pace Arrow 34N, during my bored times I was reading the spec. information, like tank capacity, tire fill and such, anyway I saw that the basement was heated, you would think after three years I would have noticed that.
I would like to know where or how I can verify and use the heat during the winter storage time.
Can anyone put me on the right track to find the switch or button or whatever I need to turn the heat on??????
Larry

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know about PAs, The unit I have only has one heat duct that discharges into the wet compartment but only when the heater is on and it's not enough during a long freeze. My lines froze up while on a visit to nort east Texas two winters ago. For storage, I empty the tanks and lines, when I'm using during cold weather and parked, I use 75w shop lights for extra heat in the wet and sewer compartments.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I am going to say is the "usual" case, but might not be true in your coach. The basement heat is NOT a separate system....it's fed from your upstairs heating system, from the one or two propane forced air heaters you have up there. You cannot heat JUST the basement. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ours is a Tiffin also but noteworthy is that the rear propane heater is the one that heats the wet bay on ours. We have found the best thing for us (in AL) is to put a shop light with a 75 watt bulb in the wet bay and we only do this when it gets below freezing for more than one day. You have to be careful and make sure that there is plenty of space around the light so that nothing catches on fire. Otherwise, we use a piece of house insulation in the bottom of the bay because it is just thin fiberglass with the access hole. Being in Vancouver you would get much colder so these ideas may not be enough for you. Monitoring the heat in the wet bay that bulb keeps it at 76 degrees on a 19 degree day. Our propane tank just emptied too fast and wasn't enough to keep it from freezing.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Mine is a 05 Bounder with tank heat. The heat is provided by one of the four ducts directly from the furnace plenum. I found out how effective it is by locating my outside temp sensor in an compartment and noticed it heated up quicker than the interior of the motor home. As 1/4 of the furnace heat was going to heat the tanks I temporarily blocked the duct. I don't plan on being in freezing weather. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My Safari (09) has an electric heater in the wet bay set to come on at 40 degrees. I have a switch on the main control panel in the coach marked bay heat to turn the system in and off.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OUrs runs when the furnace does----I installed a remote temoerature sensor in the wet compartment so I can keep track. It stays about 10 degrees colder than the coach.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to use light bulb for heat, use two but wired in series. Plus or minus a little same amount of heat but bulb temp lower so less chance of damage. On my list of things to do - one bulb each side hardwired to GFI circuit.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #9

Can we get a replacement for Cargo Heat anywhere?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are closer in design to you than many - 04 Southwind. For storage I winterize. The basement heat is a duct from the furnace so we can run and live aboard in cold weather. We have been out in overnight temps down into low teens without freezing anything. we keep the furnace at about 68 and run a couple of electric space heaters inside. When the forecast is for temps below 25 or so I put a 100 w shop light with a plastic cage in the utility bin and turn it on. I have a remote sensing thermometer in the bin. It has never reported colder than 34 even without the shop light in freezing temps.

I would be concerned that a '99 might not have as much insulation as my coach, but then again why wouldn't it?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Often basement heat is a function of the furnace.

When it's cool out fire up the furnace, Open one of the WET Comparments (ones that hold water) and with luck you will feel warm air blowing on your face.

Option 2: Install remote reading thermostat.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #12

Thanks, we'll try that! Hope it works!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I have a '99 Pace Arrow 34N, during my bored times I was reading the spec. information, like tank capacity, tire fill and such, anyway I saw that the basement was heated, you would think after three years I would have noticed that.
I would like to know where or how I can verify and use the heat during the winter storage time.
Can anyone put me on the right track to find the switch or button or whatever I need to turn the heat on??????
Larry
Larry, did you ever get an answer to your question?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote