Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Basement heat

Does anyone have a suggestion on a heater for the basement water storage compartment. I have a phaeton . In order to heat that area , our bedroom gas furnace has to run . This makes it extremely hot in the bedroom . I was thinking of a small electric box type heater to put in there. Not sure of safety . Any suggestions ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest a 12 v heater/defroster unit so you could use it on the road if necessary. On shore power it would work off the converter/charger. It also would be easier to wire than 120 v A/C. You can add a 'snap' switch to control when it comes on and shuts off. Selco OA210 OA 210 Bimetal Snap Action Temperature Controlled Thermostat Switch | eBay

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
It would be extra work to install, but in the long run probably more effective, but I would look at 12V tank heaters. They are usually thermostatically controlled, with a master power switch. The heaters turn on when below 44 degrees then turn back off when warmed up.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You would be surprised at how much heat a light bulb will put out. Where we live most people just use a light bulb to heat their pump houses with very good success in the most extreme cold conditions.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a cube heater on the low setting but use this thermostat. The electric is supplied from a cord that runs out of the storage bay to a power source.

As for driving down the road we can turn on the coach heater and that heats the compartments below.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

A 75 watt light bulb will keep it toasty in an enclosed bay. That is what we have always done but be sure to give it some clearance to anything combustible.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A 12volt heater works great, most truck stops have a great selection, I've got one for my MH
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You can add a 'snap' switch to control when it comes on and shuts off. Selco OA210 OA 210 Bimetal Snap Action Temperature Controlled Thermostat Switch | eBay

That switch kicks on at 180 degrees and off at 210 degrees, way to hot for a compartment heater.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
That switch kicks on at 180 degrees and off at 210 degrees, way to hot for a compartment heater.
Agreed, but there are others within the temperature ranges needed for a compartment heater, if the heater doesn't have a thermostatic switch. I was pointing out the availability and term 'snap switch' for reference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Our coach is the same, but with the thermostat set on 65*F bedroom stays comfortable and the basement is still about 45*. Can you cover the bedroom registers and direct all the heat into the basement? I'd like to know, I'm concerned about triggering the overtemp switch in the furnace.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Use a trouble light with a 75 watt bulb. In our Phaeton it gets hot quick on propane and so I turn it down to 50 in the back so I can sleep. Used this in 15 degree weather for several days when stuck during a surprise Texas snow storm. Just hang it so it does not touch anything.
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #12

I just put a forced air, thermostatically controlled, common electric heater in my water compartment (around $9-$12 these days). Set low, with a flat electrical cable (so I can almost completely close the compartment door) running out to the parks 20A outlet. Also have a temp sensor inside the compartment I can monitor in the house.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Thermo Cube TC-3. On at 35, off at 45.

Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Patio, Lawn & Garden
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #14

What ever you use,get a remote thermometer to monitor the temperature down there as failure of the heating device might be discovered when it is too late.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote