Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Basement insulation .... recommend best to use please

I have no insulation under my floor ... I'm going to add some insulation ...any tips on what works best? Thinking of stapling some of that double faced foil or 3/4" foam.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did the entire underside of the floor and lined all floors and walls in the basement with a carpet pad that is used under all auto carpets.I spray glued it in place with 3-m glue from lowes. The pad is called eco-plush 1/2" thick and I purchased it at rugpadusa.com. the company is located here in ct, and if you take good measurements of each area you want to do, they will cut all the pieces for you,which will save much time.The stuff is very durable,has a soft side and a stiff side,I glued the soft side to the coach,stiff side is more durable.It cuts hard, but a good pair of sissors will do well.The pad material is made from leftover wall to wall carpeting made by mohalk. It also makes the coach ride quieter,takes away some road noise,and definetly makes floors and cargo area warmer.Any areas that you think might get wet or dirty,don't glue, just loose lay in cargo hold.I found that a clean shop pushbroom worked well to install the pieces to bottom of floor,start glue on one side,push across with broom.hope this helps.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
With our unit with a heated basement, I'd never insulate under the floor in the basement. When the furnace is on the basement heat heats the floor from below, so it warm to walk on.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Another method is tp buy the spray foam kit. I used it in my house and it is easy enough for a DIY person. It sticks to everything so care must be taken. It should have a sprayed on coat of fire retardent for safety as polyurethane foam is very toxic if ignited. I similarly would check out the toxicity of any thing else you consider to use. I was once in a smallfire in an apartment and when the carpet started smoking it knocked all of us down because of it's toxicity.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With our unit with a heated basement, I'd never insulate under the floor in the basement. When the furnace is on the basement heat heats the floor from below, so it warm to walk on.
Our unit also has a heated basement,we found that the heat dissipated very quickly,making the floor temp very erratic.By insulating the cargo holds and basement floor,it held the heat much longer,and after insulating the underside of the coach floor we found the floors stay warmer without the basement heat running. the biggest problem I have encountered is I had to split the heat duct going to the basement and send half the heat back into the inside of coach, as the basement area,wet bay,vacuflush bay and area around black,gray,and fresh water all got too hot,and stayed hot. By reducing the duct by 50% it solved the problem. I had noticed that neumar and tiffin both had either a bubble wrap type insulation or a blanket barrier on the underside of the floor of coach,Fleetwood had nothing,I also had seen that winnebago put a pc of styrofoam under the freshwater tank on I think the new vista,to help keep tank from freezing.I did not have enough room to do that on our unit so instead just slid a piece of 1/4" dow blueboard under the tank,I figure it's better than just laying on the bare basement floor as fleetwood had done,I just stole winnebago's idea and adapted it to my unit.Every coach is different,but this works great on mine,a little work involved,but worth it for me.
PS
The padding I used has a fire rating, and is no different than wall to wall carpeting in your home,because that's what it actually is.It has been used under all automotive carpets since the 50's

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rcalbuquerqu-

If memory serves (and it gets more faulty by the day), in a sticks-and-bricks application blue, pink or grey foam board insulation should be covered with a fire-resistant barrier (such as drywall) in order to reduce toxic fumes in a fire. You may want to confirm that if you'd like to use such a product.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
rcalbuquerqu-

If memory serves (and it gets more faulty by the day), in a sticks-and-bricks application blue, pink or grey foam board insulation should be covered with a fire-resistant barrier (such as drywall) in order to reduce toxic fumes in a fire. You may want to confirm that if you'd like to use such a product.
Yes, you are most likely correct in reguards to using the blueboard insulation a sticks and bricks home,as it is made to go over the exterior sheathing and under the vinyl siding on the home. The way I look at it, I'm not going to worry about a 4'x4' pc sandwiched between the sheetmetal basement floor and 80 gallons of fresh water that will leak onto it when the plastic water tank melts,emitting toxic fumes ,if my calculations are correct,by that time I should be looking at new motorhomes on line.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

They use some spray curing foam stuff on TV shows that could easily by sprayed like undercoating...but...

If a fire what?

If you need to service something what?

Park in better weather.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rapid Rick-

I have occasionally made the same decision; a small piece of uncovered insulation does not represent much risk. The OP had asked about foam, and I wanted to provide the caution.

The tip about the carpet pad is helpful- Thanks!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies...I'm leaning toward the reflectix brand of insulation and was interested in other suggestions . I'm in Blythe .CA at the moment and the weather is good but we just went through a could spell and it was cold in the morning. As far as I can tell my problem is ...no insulation under the floors or the storage floors and poorly sealed storage doors. My neighbor here at the park installed 3/4" foam under his floors and claims it's working good. The reflectix would be easy to install with a staple gun but I'm wondering how effective it would be. The spray in type would not be an option for me.